Soldato
NordVPN are shady, for various reasons. Ask for a refund and get a VPN that is more privacy conscious such as Mullvad, AzireVPN, VPN.ac or similar. You can use WireGuard, OpenVPN or IPSec on USG, but only the first will have acceleration and operate in kernel space (as per reply above). It's still only a small CPU though so don't expect much. Better to connect each device individually if possible, on an ad hoc basis.

What's Shady about Nordvpn, have only heard good things about them and been using them for a few years now?

Soldato
PIA was just sold to a sketchy company, there have been others that were 'hacked' (hate that term) but its hard to find who they were because of the million Nord articles there are now.

EDIT: It was Tor Guard and Viking VPN. Tunnel Bear is also owned by Mccafee now.

Soldato
I googled nordvpn there was a hack attempt on them recently:

https://techcrunch.com/2019/10/21/nordvpn-confirms-it-was-hacked/

So far on my bad VPN list is:

NordVPN
Purevpn
hidemyass
perfectprivacy

Any other VPNs that have either been hacked or given up their customers or not followed their own TnCs or privacy ?

While doing your own research is great, r/vpn is probably worth a look, strangely people get quite excited when privacy is involved and lists/info is consolidated already for the most part. Also HMA was sold to AVG a while back, so you probably want to include them.

Soldato
While doing your own research is great, r/vpn is probably worth a look, strangely people get quite excited when privacy is involved and lists/info is consolidated already for the most part. Also HMA was sold to AVG a while back, so you probably want to include them.

I don't disagree but its hard to find trust worthy lists online because most of the 'best VPN' lists seem to be just be paid referrals.

Soldato
I don't disagree but its hard to find trust worthy lists online because most of the 'best VPN' lists seem to be just be paid referrals.

You really should look into r/vpn - you’ll then get why your post is funny. Hint: It’s not going to have referrals.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
I was looking at switching to mullvad but saw its in one of the 14 eyes counties so not as private as you may think!

Was just about to say Mullvad is pretty decent when I used it many years ago briefly, but I had no idea we had 14 eyes even, I had heard of the 5 eyes but seems we have more eyes.

Either way I don't think mullvad like a great deal of VPNs would have any logs or info to hand over to anyone as mentioned in torrent freaks top vpn providers 2019 list here:

https://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-services-keep-you-anonymous-in-2019/

There is also a very good website here showing you which vpns are outside of the 14 eyes here:

https://restoreprivacy.com/5-eyes-9-eyes-14-eyes/

Nordvpn is in that list.

I think many VPNs can never be 100% and same applies with torrentfreak article, but its the ones that simply lie and do hand over logs or data to X are the ones to 100% avoid, googling the company and checking reddit and reviews usually can find more details that way.

Soldato
Soldato
Nordvpn is in that list.

And yet it's owned by someone (brothers iirc) born and living in Cyprus, not Panama as they state. Incorporating a company abroad doesn't mean you're not subject to the interference of the state where you live and operate. I'd take a good VPN like Mullvad or AzireVPN in the 14 eyes over a shady outfit operating (allegedly, on paper) outside of it. China's not in the 14 Eyes, but I wouldn't want a Chinese VPN host... lol.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
And yet it's owned by someone (brothers iirc) born and living in Cyprus, not Panama as they state. Incorporating a company abroad doesn't mean you're not subject to the interference of the state where you live and operate. I'd take a good VPN like Mullvad or AzireVPN in the 14 eyes over a shady outfit operating (allegedly, on paper) outside of it. China's not in the 14 Eyes, but I wouldn't want a Chinese VPN host... lol.

I often grill and research VPNs before joining also, the only ones I liked in the past were bolevpn, mullvad and airvpn are my 2 top choices though, I have never heard of Azire though sounds quite new to me but I don't often stay on top of research with them since I tend to stick to air/mullvad.

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Associate
Hi, first post here !!

I do use vpn for streaming, to my surprise, I can stream with one vpn provider, but not with another provider and I get black screen, stream nothing.

I don't know why, I think they must be different in terms of encryption or other things, have no idea.

Just out of curiosity, to add to my knowledge, what could be different? Thank you

Regards,

Soldato
The differences are significant, from the end points available, who owns the hardware, who provides the connectivity, the type of encryption used, where the company exists legally, where it’s owners are based legally, the laws it follows, it’s logging policy, the encryption type and implementation - all of this and much more impact on if it’ll do xyz. In your case it’s likely down to what you are trying to stream and where from. Take iPlayer for example, some UK end points with some VPN providers will work, others - sometimes even with the same provider - won’t.

Associate
I'm living in a shared house ran by the council they have filtered out adult sites, I thought if I use a VPN that will get around it but I cant even access any VPN sites, what next?

Soldato
I'm living in a shared house ran by the council they have filtered out adult sites, I thought if I use a VPN that will get around it but I cant even access any VPN sites, what next?

Use your imagination? Apart from the obvious implications of that statement, if you can’t register for an account over the property wifi then perhaps consider using another (free) wifi provider while out and about to do so, or 4G.

Associate
Will sign up on my phone, So to clarify once signed up then i can use a vpn? Sorry I have no idea how vpn works, I don't wannt to end up paying for a vpn only to find out I cant use it.

Back
Top Bottom