• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
A 3070 will probably be as powerful as a 2080S or a little more.
3080 will probably be a bit better than a 2080ti.
3080ti will probably be a lot better than a 2080ti.

Yup, more or less think it's going to play out just like that. The more interesting part is pricing. The 3070 should then be <400 but fat chance of that.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
How much do you think Nvidia will sell a GPU with 2080ti levels of performance in 2020?

Only AMD can keep them honest.
I never look at it that way. If it was like that then GPU's would be costing like houses by now. Although saying that in the last couple of years Nvidia is making headway towards this :p

Soldato
Even if there was huge gains on 7nm+ nothing stopping nvidia selling a smaller '3080' chip as a 3080Ti and charging those prices then releasing the full deal later :p

Didn't something similar happen with the 680 (or was it 780)?

lucky it's easy for consumers to identify if we are being taken for fools.

it's called the Titan. The Titan is always the fully unlocked best of the best and if the 3080ti specs are too far away from the Titan then you would know there is a 3080ti Super coming

Soldato
How much do you think Nvidia will sell a GPU with 2080ti levels of performance in 2020?

Only AMD can keep them honest.

So that people will buy nVIDIA still at lower prices. :p

Consoles will do that as well (still AMD indirectly).

I don't think AMD has to overpass nVIDIA by much. 90% the performance at 50% or lower the price will do. It worked with Intel. "Keep it Ryzen".

Soldato
if nvidia price them even higher this year i suspect most will just buy ps5 and xbox and be done with it. There is no room for price increase tbh. If AMD deliver on performance this year to match Ampere then I predict prices should settle around the £1000 mark, I can only hope.

Soldato
I know it's purely just rumours at this point but it's possible we could be getting a 2080ti beating card from AMD at a hopefully much more reasonable price! There's now rumours about leaked 3080 and 3070 cards from Nvidia that seem to show a serious bump in performance from what I read, hopefully at a much more reasonable price assuming competitive pricing! And then hopefully we should see something good come from Intel, sure they're relatively new to the discrete gpu game and what was seen at CES was pretty underwhelming but they've bought up a lot of talent and have a massive amount of resources to throw at it. So I'm hoping for good things.

Either way will be very interesting to see where we're at in 6 months time, I don't think prices will rise. It will be the death of PC gaming, though I could be wrong!

Soldato
I would be surprised if that turned out to be true. Would be an utter failure if it was. They are not only brining a new architecture but also making a huge jump to 7nm+ so performance will be better than that imo.
You're not wrong. I don't think it'd be an utter failure for Nvidia but it would be for us.

People will still buy their 3xxx series, especially due to HDMI 2.1 features which a lot of people with HDMI 2.1 able devices will like to use it with.

I have no doubt NVIDIA can make some revolutionary awesome GPUs based on the new archiecture but I wouldn't put the gimping the initial 3xxx release to drive more sales in the long term.

Then when AMD decide to drop a new graphics card which competes with Nvidia, they can do a super version just like they did last generation and sweep up even more cash from everyone upgrading.

The counterargument to this plan would be:
1. Surely NVIDIA aren't that shameless (they are)
2. Pressure from consoles should be forcing their hands in regards to upping their game.

For reason 1, I think we all know what NVIDIA are (and I'm team Green). For reason 2, I just don't think Nvidia seem THAT bothered by the imminent release of the consoles. My personal opinion is the PS5 isn't going to be all that anyway (its cringeworthy how they keep talking about the power of the SSD as if its some new form of technology we've never seen before) and the Xbox console will probably be phenomenal performance wise. If both devices are priced appropriately, they're not really going to be competing with gaming PCs anyway, especially PCs's with Nvidia's GPUs if they're priced similarly (they will be).

Soldato
if nvidia price them even higher this year i suspect most will just buy ps5 and xbox and be done with it. There is no room for price increase tbh. If AMD deliver on performance this year to match Ampere then I predict prices should settle around the £1000 mark, I can only hope.

Oh god. That is a really really horrible thought.

If the prices are hiked up further and we get 2080ti performance for the price of a 2080ti but just with more RTX performance then this really does en-danger the entire PC gaming community. I'll likely just keep my 2080 and call it a day until either the market returns to normal prices or my 2080 can no longer power my Valve Index. Then I'll buy a PS5 and an Xbox.

I really really don't think Nvidia are THAT dumb to actually hike up the prices further without improving the FPS per pound/dollar but they did do it 2 years ago, so they could do it again. I actually feel we're at a pretty bad position re: gaming in that we need all the power we can get as we're far away from 4k/144hz.

But yeah, if Nvidia do that then I just don't know what to say. Sure RTX is amazing and definitely the future for graphical fidelity but its clearly NOT here and its NOT supported by enough games to make up for any lack of jumps in performance. TBH I thought the whole point of RTX was going to be that the RTX cores do ALL the lighting and our FPS remains untouched (clearly I'm wrong).

God damn, we need AMD just to keep Nvidia in check. I get that they took the mick last refresh following the whole mining thing but if they do it now, then they're just playing a very dangerous game.

Soldato
Without reading countless pages of salt and speculation, any idea on very rough launch dates?

When the 3000 series drops, if i can flip my 2080ti and maybe 300 quid extra towards a new card with a marked improvement in performance then i think ill do it but if they are going to price gouge hard again then i might sit on what i have for a while.

I refuse to pay over £500 for a card just because they fancy like gouging due to the lack of solid competition

Soldato
Considering that the 2070 was around £450 then I'm not sure what you're basing your estimate on?

Perf. If a 3070 matches a 2080ti then I can see Nvidia arguing that dropping price to around £600-700 is good value and shows advancement. Of course I'm hoping this is not the case at all. Again, if Nvidia think that AMD will be competitive this year then things could change considerably.

Imagine right now the 2080ti dropped to between £600-700 I guarantee they would sell like hot cakes. That's almost a 40% drop in price!

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Perf. If a 3070 matches a 2080ti then I can see Nvidia arguing that dropping price to around £600-700 is good value and shows advancement. Of course I'm hoping this is not the case at all. Again, if Nvidia think that AMD will be competitive this year then things could change considerably.

Imagine right now the 2080ti dropped to between £600-700 I guarantee they would sell like hot cakes. That's almost a 40% drop in price!
That makes no sense historically speaking. They already gone to far with the 2070 pricing, any further and they risk a lot of bad press.

It is as if you do not take past trends into account with such statements. It’s like saying, imagine if the 980Ti dropped to £350, when they were £600 they would sell like hot cakes. Well guess what, the 1070 came out offering similar performance at £350. Price for performance apart from this gen with Turing which slowed it down has always improved. Why do people every time a new graphics card comes out not see this?

Associate

I'm inclined to agree. Last generation NVidia GPUs were extortion and its made me think twice about high end.

I can only guess but i assume PS5 gen consoles will be aiming for a standard of 4K at low to med graphic settings with 30-60FPS and VRR? Until HDMI2.1 that is basically the pinnacle of PC graphical grunt other than having maxed out graphical settings.

If i'm looking at at output of in excess of £1200 for whatever benefit that is going to give me over consoles, unfortunately my membership to the PC master race is probably going to be cancelled. Shell out £500 for a PS5 and be done with it for the next few years.

Back
Top Bottom