BT Infinity & FTTx Discussion

Soldato
Finally got my BT service installed this week. A week with no service as they never confirmed the appointment, they've came back to me and offered me a month free service so can't complain.

Massive upgrade from 15mb ADSL :D

7VPAKqg.jpg

Would be over the moon with that sort of speed personally. Currently on 30/6 FTTC and while it's fine for the most part, the 10x more speed would be a god send at times! I really wish BT would roll that stuff out here!

Soldato
BT are doing a referral scheme now, they'll give us both a £50 Amazon gift voucher if I refer you and you sign up for a new account. Anyone who wants to do it, drop me a trust message and I'll sort it out.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
This is a bit of a long shot, does anyone have a leased line installed in a residential property? As I am looking at my current options, as I don't have VM in my area and my FTTPoD costs where around 30K (I am waiting for the Openreach Survey to be completed) or a leased line.

As I’m currently on BT engineer no.7 this week to correct a speed drop on my connection as this has been going on since October, Zen have been trying but Openreach seem to say this is the best you are going to get now and just won’t do anything now. Even though it’s still below the BT handback range.

Caporegime
You can get a leased line installed wherever you want, it just costs you money. If there's nothing close by that would have the fibre installed to it then you might also end up being hit with excess construction charges, because as far as I know Openreach won't string EAD circuits from poles and they have to dig.

Caporegime
You can get a leased line installed wherever you want, it just costs you money. If there's nothing close by that would have the fibre installed to it then you might also end up being hit with excess construction charges, because as far as I know Openreach won't string EAD circuits from poles and they have to dig.
You'll be looking at circa £300pm for just a 100Mb/100Mb line, 36 month contract or £1,800 install costs on a 12m contract. The Government will subsidise up to £2,800 in construction costs but that could easily be in the 5 digit numbers if your local node is far away. You can get 1Gig each way if you want to shell out for it though.

RSR

RSR

Soldato

I know you can, as I have a number of quotes which are all cheaper than an FTTPoD install but that wasn't my question, my question was if anyone here had one installed.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
How big the device is which the leased line terminates on and if its wall mountable, as I know the FTTP devices are quiet compact. As I have only used them where terminate in to a 1U device, the name escapes me for the moment.

Caporegime
If the leased line is on an Openreach EAD-LA bearer then you get something from the ADVA FSP150 range, which is a 1U box (though the rack ears can be spun around for wall mounting). If the fibre is provided by Virgin Media then you get a half rack-width Nokia (I think) box.

You need a fibre splice tray as well, this can be specified as a wall-mounted option at the time of ordering.

Soldato
You'll be looking at circa £300pm for just a 100Mb/100Mb line, 36 month contract or £1,800 install costs on a 12m contract. The Government will subsidise up to £2,800 in construction costs but that could easily be in the 5 digit numbers if your local node is far away. You can get 1Gig each way if you want to shell out for it though.

All depends what infrastructure there is already around. We can get 1gb synchronous at our offices for just over £400pm.

Also @RSR be aware that the voucher schemes are changing: https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...anges-uk-gigabit-broadband-voucher-rules.html

RSR

RSR

Soldato
I've had quotes from £433 PM for a 1Gb connection but I don't need that, 100Mb is more than enough for me to be honest I just need it to be stable but there isn't a huge cost difference between 100Mb,200Mb and 300Mb lines. I do have one quote from Zen Internet for a leased line, which for what they charge for a 100Mb circuit I can easily get a 1Gb line. The install costs from all the quote I have aren't too bad, but I know they are subject to a site survey. Yes, I am aware on the voucher scheme as the providers have said about that. Talk Talk business seem the front runner at the moment but I’ll see what this new FTTPoD quote comes back with.

I'm just getting frustrated with Openreach with FTTC and after 6 engineers they can't tell me what the fault is, even though my line I have been told is excellent and is only 400m~ from my local cab yet they are unable to restore my 80/20 (Sync speeds) connection which has been stable for years now but since October dropped in speed by over 30% or more depending on the day of the week. So, I now have a 7th engineer out this week, who probably won’t do much.

Caporegime
Have you considered a FTTC Ethernet (https://www.talktalkbusiness.co.uk/...sed-line-internet-access/ethernet-over-fibre/) service installed on a new line if you want to get someone to really try and sort your problems out? Or even getting a company like A&A to provide you with FTTC and leaning on Openreach to get all the repairs sorted out that are necessary (https://www.aa.net.uk/broadband/we-will-fix-your-line/) and migrating away at the end of the minimum term? Putting a leased line in seems like a pretty extreme way to resolve this.

RSR

RSR

Soldato
Yes, I have AA on my list of options at the moment which I was also considering. I must be honest I have not looked at FTTC Ethernet, due to all the issues around on current line but I will look into that one.

I am just looking at all the options at the moment, as I do need a stable relable connection which it has been untill now.

Soldato
Whilst out for a walk yesterday I noticed quite a lot of Openreach FTTP street furniture (CBT's mostly) mounted on poles in the older part of town. Hopefully I'll be able to order FTTP in the next few months.

Soldato
Thanks for posting - my town is on that list and from what I can see they're making good progress on the build. Over the past few months the council have granted a lot of permits for Openreach to excavate and install ducting and to locate and clear duct blockages.

It's interesting that those new locations were announced yesterday as I know they started the build in my town at least a couple of months ago.

Man of Honour
Still no FTTP plans for my post code, I think I'm going to have moved house before they decide to roll it out here. I've got FTTC at 60 Mbit so not the end of the world, however I would like 150 Mbit as a minimum.

Associate
If the leased line is on an Openreach EAD-LA bearer then you get something from the ADVA FSP150 range, which is a 1U box (though the rack ears can be spun around for wall mounting). If the fibre is provided by Virgin Media then you get a half rack-width Nokia (I think) box.

You need a fibre splice tray as well, this can be specified as a wall-mounted option at the time of ordering.

VM provide an Alcatel-Lucent NTE :)

Shawrey

Back
Top Bottom