Star Trek: Picard

Soldato
Also the cyborg what the hell, an interesting character and they told her story on the episode she dies.

With all that effort into makeup, why not tell back story in season one making a episode.for her.

When she died it's like so what, basically a red shirt.

There were originally supposed to be twice as many episodes, so they smooshed loads of storylines and ideas together. Dahj should probably have been around for about three episodes, we'd get to know her, and thus her death would have been more significant to the audience.

Soldato
Talking about silver cyborg from discovery.

Oh her. There was lots of complaints that it was all centred on Burnham, so we never got to know any of the bridge staff. That episode seems to be a particularly/usual STD hamfisted way to try and change that. The character that replaced her is the same actress without the makeup, so maybe she wanted to get her real face out there too.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
An aside:

It's this rumoured/supposed licencing deal between Paramount and CBS that said all the new stuff had to be 25 percent different. Plus every new showrunner wants to do their own thing and make a career off the back of being some kind of creative genius.

I'd love to know how this story keeps getting traction, because it's complete BS :p CBS TV Studios has full rights to show anything or use anything from past series with no changes being mandated. If they do change anything (alien makeup, the look of ships or tech, and so on) it's purely down to the choice of the showrunner(s). No "25% different" or licencing issues or anything like that.

The rumour got started on a since-deleted Facebook post in April 2018, and somehow it's still doing the rounds. Gotta love t'internet!

Associate
Was anyone else really worried they'd off one of the two live-in Romulans at Chateau Picard? Outside Picard himself (and Data if he comes into it again) they're easily the best characters and their interactions are brilliant. Would have been pretty sad to have one of them perish! One of the few times I was delighted plot armour stepped in and deflected all those blasts/acid.

Associate
Hmm another episode and another Hmm.

Something has to pick up soon, im always going to watch it but so far its just pootling along at warp 3....

I dont quite get this whole Romulan setup, they have military/scientific jurisdiction over this cube but they seem to invite "anyone" along to study it.

Im really not a fan of all these drones and hovering things that seem to be in the background of nearly every bloody romulan/federation shot.... Doesn't seem very Star trek at all.

Yup completely agree. I'm really disapointed, there is so little here of what I liked about Star Trek. Romulans don't look Romulan, they had the ship above Earth yet no signs of any other ships in orbit, no infrastructure. A massive missed opportunity for some cool Starfleet vessels / outposts in orbit. The Starfleet officals we've met so far have all been angry for seemingly no reason - there's no impression of it being this massive interstellar organisation. They should have shown Voyager in a museam or something that Picard walked past.

The scene set on Mars when the sinthethics kicked off..was like something from the early Red Dwarf's.

It's just very meh. Lens flares have made a comeback again which I hate, and this stupid rotating camera views for no reason.

So many opportunities missed.

Caporegime
Starfleet is meant to be built up from Federation species right? I know it was Earth centric at the start but why does it still seem very human centric (captains almost certainly human, the Federation ships always have human/Earth names).

Assume budget in the early days but is there a story explanation?

Soldato
Starfleet is meant to be built up from Federation species right? I know it was Earth centric at the start but why does it still seem very human centric (captains almost certainly human, the Federation ships always have human/Earth names).

Assume budget in the early days but is there a story explanation?

Hmm, dunno about that. Starfleet is not the Federation. Starfleet is Earth's exploration (and sometimes combat) space navy. We've always seen Federation members with their own space navies, that work independently, or come together under Federation control (such as the Dominion War). There are officer exchanges, and nothing stop an individual from one species joining Starfleet instead of their own navies.

It seems to work like every country having their own army/navy/airforce, but can work together under NATO, or individuals can move country and join their armed forces.

There are some Federation races that couldn't serve on Starfleet ships because they have very different environment requirements.

Soldato
An aside:

I'd love to know how this story keeps getting traction, because it's complete BS :p CBS TV Studios has full rights to show anything or use anything from past series with no changes being mandated. If they do change anything (alien makeup, the look of ships or tech, and so on) it's purely down to the choice of the showrunner(s). No "25% different" or licencing issues or anything like that.

The rumour got started on a since-deleted Facebook post in April 2018, and somehow it's still doing the rounds. Gotta love t'internet!

Where I've seen it repeated a lot is various Youtubers who claim to have reliable contacts. These guys claim it's been cross checked with other contacts, and they have been very reliable with other leaks being accurate. YMMV.

JRS

JRS

Soldato
Where I've seen it repeated a lot is various Youtubers who claim to have reliable contacts. These guys claim it's been cross checked with other contacts, and they have been very reliable with other leaks being accurate. YMMV.

From when it was first raised after the changes the STD production crew made to the Enterprise from her TOS appearance - here's the TrekMovie.com article with CBS TV Studios' own debunking of it.

CBS TV Studios does, in fact, have the right to use the U.S.S. Enterprise ship design from the past TV series, and are not legally required to make changes. The changes in the ship design were creative ones, made to utilize 2018’s VFX technology.

Emphasis is my own.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yup completely agree. I'm really disapointed, there is so little here of what I liked about Star Trek. Romulans don't look Romulan, they had the ship above Earth yet no signs of any other ships in orbit, no infrastructure. A massive missed opportunity for some cool Starfleet vessels / outposts in orbit. The Starfleet officals we've met so far have all been angry for seemingly no reason - there's no impression of it being this massive interstellar organisation. They should have shown Voyager in a museam or something that Picard walked past.

The scene set on Mars when the sinthethics kicked off..was like something from the early Red Dwarf's.

It's just very meh. Lens flares have made a comeback again which I hate, and this stupid rotating camera views for no reason.

So many opportunities missed.
Yeah, people here seem to love it but I think it is just been okay so far. It is not what I wanted but it is better than nothing. In the end I can just ignore the story if it turns out poop like I do with Terminator where anything after T2 I just ignore as they are nowhere near as good.

If Gene Roddenberry was alive this show would be very different. I will just enjoy it for what it is now though, as if I stop comparing it to TNG era stuff it is still enjoyable to watch. Hence why I said it’s better than nothing. Plus still only 3 episodes yet.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
TNG got better when Roddenberry got too ill to continue working on it...he was only really involved in season 1 properly and some of season 2.
But it was very closely based on his vision. What we see now is very different. That Starfleet admiral does not seem to belong in the 24th/25th century but more like the 20th.

Commissario
It's that time again!

Season 1, Episode 3 - "The End is the Beginning"

One thing I won't get over in a hurry is hearing Picard say "Engage!". Patrick Stewart shines in every scene, because he's a God damned professional and he always gives his best. But the way he delivered that line, with the soundtrack going full Goldsmith behind him...beautiful. Star Trek is back. Praise be to every deity going. And after a couple of episodes of being mostly coddled and looked after, he got in on the act defending Chateau Picard from the Zhat Vash operatives. He's (fortunately) not gone full action hero yet like he did in the films, but he's definitely getting back some of the old Picard's willingness to throw down and get stuck in when required.

I must have watched that twenty times. Utterly fantastic.

Soldato
Hmm, dunno about that. Starfleet is not the Federation. Starfleet is Earth's exploration (and sometimes combat) space navy. We've always seen Federation members with their own space navies, that work independently, or come together under Federation control (such as the Dominion War). There are officer exchanges, and nothing stop an individual from one species joining Starfleet instead of their own navies.

It seems to work like every country having their own army/navy/airforce, but can work together under NATO, or individuals can move country and join their armed forces.

There are some Federation races that couldn't serve on Starfleet ships because they have very different environment requirements.

Starfleet is the Federation's exploration etc. navy, not Earth's. It was originally Earth's but was integrated into the UFP structure and is under the control of the UFP. That doesn't mean species don't have their own specific ships for their own purposes.

If we ignore the actual reason there are so few alien-named ships (i.e. because of the audience) then there are non-human named ships as well, e.g. the DS9 episode with the USS T'Kumbra (had to look that one up) was an all-Vulcan crew ship that challenged Sisko and the DS9 cast to a game of baseball in the middle of the Dominion war. After a further bit of cheating (i.e. I googled some more), there's also the USS Gorkon. Presumably there's far more, they just haven't crossed our paths during the shows.

Back
Top Bottom