Semi detached rear extension advice

Associate
Hi Guys,

Looking for advice from others who have had this sort of extension done on the rear of a semi detached. Footprint to be no more than 3m into garden over full width of rear. From my research this is permitted without pp. I have a few general questions on peoples personal experience;

Aj1mLSX.jpg

1) Were you able to build right up to the party line and thus keep the existing internal party wall continuous with the new?

2) How was this section of work completed with regards to neighbours property? Access wise, especially with the footing?

3) Did you have issues with your neighbours and how did you hopefully resolve them amicably?

My other option is to go the side route which would have course prevent any issues with neighbours however this would mean losing the access from rear garden to front.

Thanks

Soldato
1) Were you able to build right up to the party line and thus keep the existing internal party wall continuous with the new?

2) How was this section of work completed with regards to neighbours property? Access wise, especially with the footing?

Look into the party wall act and party wall agreements.

https://www.gov.uk/party-walls-building-works

You need to notify neighbours and it essentially comes down to how cooperative they are as to how difficult this is.

I am currently considering a small rear extension and was advised by someone I know who works in the planning department to build a foot or so on my side, as this makes everything much easier and allows access for maintenance etc. The only issue I see with this is having a narrow gap. This would work well for us as then we can separate a retaining wall for next doors beds/garden from our extension to reduce potential damp issues etc.

You just need to weigh up both options.

Soldato
as a potential neighbour to such an extension,
I'd want to confirm my 'right to light' had not been impinged, whch would give a legitimate claim to protest/injunct the extension.

https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Rights_to_light
The '50:50 rule' however, may be deemed adequate. This involves determining what percentage of a room receives adequate light on a working plane 850 mm above the floor. An injury may be considered to have occurred where the percentage is reduced to less than 50%. Where more than 50% of the room still receives adequate light however, an injury may not be considered to have occurred, irrespective of the amount of light that has been lost.

there seems to be some simulators sketchup/velux, which are interesting to evalauate lighting in an extension iteself, for aspect of house.

Associate
You should be able to extend the existing party wall.
If they get difficult then you'll need to pay for 2 surveyors to represent each of you to show you won't cause damage to existing structures.
They can't deny you access to their propterty to build your extension but you must fix any damage you cause to their property and garden.
Basically they can't stop you, just make things difficult.
If they don't give consent then a court can give consent on their behalf if you jump through all the correct hoops.

Tea Drinker
Don
You can lay bricks overhand, you don't have the room to pull the wall back and the roof soffit and fascia can be slim, assume the roof will pitch forward.

If you're going to blockwork and render it, tell them you'll paint the render on your new bit and include the render round their windows as well as a sweetener

Just to note and remember to price or allow a cavity tray along the back of the whole wall.

Back
Top Bottom