Wiring Help - Hue Bulbs and Extractor Fan

Soldato
Hi All

Got a feeling i know the answer to this but wanted to check.

At the moment in our En-Suite we have a single switch which operates 8 spotlights and an extractor fan.

I'd like to change the bulbs to Hue bulbs, but have a feeling i can't do this because it would require them being powered constantly, which would also involve having the extractor fan running 24/7.

Is there an easy way of working out how it's wired up?

I'm assuming it could all be wired up in one of the following ways

7f4jvGQ.png

ig5MejC.png

Presumably if it's done the top way then it'd be easy enough to just swap out the switch for a double switch and wire the fan up to one switch and the lights to the other.

But if it's the bottom way then i'm pretty much stumped without a whole lot more work and running separate wiring.

Anyone have any ideas which is more likely?

Soldato
Have you removed the switch faceplate to check the wiring behind it.

Whilst i'm not an electrician, i'd be very surprised if it was chained onto the lights.

P.S. What's with the single orange spotlight vs 7 blue spotlights.

Soldato
OP
No, gonna aim to do that tonight, was musing it in my head whilst at work and thought i'd canvas opinion. I'm also very lonely in the office today!

Changed colour that little bit too soon and couldn't be bothered to undo and repeat it in blue!

Soldato
It should come to the switch. it depends on the fan, some fans require a permanent feed and the switch from your lights activates the timer on it. Just depends really but you should be able to do what you want.

Associate
Hi All

Got a feeling i know the answer to this but wanted to check.

At the moment in our En-Suite we have a single switch which operates 8 spotlights and an extractor fan.

I'd like to change the bulbs to Hue bulbs, but have a feeling i can't do this because it would require them being powered constantly, which would also involve having the extractor fan running 24/7.

Is there an easy way of working out how it's wired up?

I'm assuming it could all be wired up in one of the following ways

Presumably if it's done the top way then it'd be easy enough to just swap out the switch for a double switch and wire the fan up to one switch and the lights to the other.

But if it's the bottom way then i'm pretty much stumped without a whole lot more work and running separate wiring.

Anyone have any ideas which is more likely?

Can I ask why you want Hue bulbs in there?

The bulbs can now be pre-set as to what they do when power cycled on/off , where I think they used to default to full brightness.

If it becomes an issue, You could probably look at Wireless switching from the wall / switch to the fan? Talk to a sparky about this one, I think Qinetic is the brand or something similar. Seen it used a fair bit in Gardens.

Soldato
OP
Mainly the dimming function. I shower earlier than the wife and there’s a glass door so it’d be nice to not have the lights on full to avoid disturbing her.

If the bulbs can be preset that could work and just always keep them dimmed. The white ones are cheap enough.

Don’t really want a dimmer.

I also quite like the idea of a motion sensor to come on really dim in the night if I go for a wee!

Soldato
Personally I would move the extractor fan from being triggerd by the light to a humidity sensor.. That way it only comes on when the bathroom is wet (so middle of the night loo runs dont bump the extractor fan on). Stays on for as long as it needs to to dry the room.

the wiring to the light will just be a trigger for the fan, it will have its own dedicated wiring.

Solves your bulbs issue as well.

Back
Top Bottom