The **Now Eating** Thread

Soldato
I love poached eggs, but I absolutely suck at making them. I've read guides, watched videos, tried various methods and they always come out horribly. I looked around for an egg poacher, but they always had such mixed reviews. I finally decided to try something that seemed to get pretty good reviews:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Poachies-p...d_r=9468PJMBT5GKH0QVH49W&psc=1&qid=1582744326

kzjUek.jpg

First time trying them today. I think they came out pretty darn good! Only downside was I was a bit overcautious with the cooking time and left them in a little too long, so the egg had gone firm. But they still tasted good! And I'm sure with a little experimenting with the cooking time I can get them coming out with runny yolks! :D

fwhmHo.jpg

Tesco's cheese & black pepper muffins toasted, with Tesco pork & herb sausage patties, cheese slices, the poached eggs and a slathering of ketchup. Hardly restaurant quality, but I think they came out pretty good for a first attempt. Tasty little treat :)

Soldato
Well after 2 hours making, 1 hour baking, 1 hour cooling, a few minutes making the glaze and 20 minutes to set, my coffee cake came out pretty well with a lovely tender sponge. It's a big ol' cake and weighs quite a lot! Tastes really nice. In fact what I thought was too much espresso powder was not too much and I'll add even more next time. :)

20200227-102423.jpg

20200227-090232.jpg

20200227-165920.jpg

Soldato
In fact what I thought was too much espresso powder was not too much
you went wit the 3 teaspoons .. as opposed to 20g ?
20g freeze dried coffee, if it were 100% disssolvable solid , should be about 100g coffee beans ... so about 8 double espresso , which doesn't sound too much on a per slice basis.
... does caffeine content survive baking ? if so maybe I just need a slice of cake for elevens's

Soldato
you went wit the 3 teaspoons .. as opposed to 20g ?
20g freeze dried coffee, if it were 100% disssolvable solid , should be about 100g coffee beans ... so about 8 double espresso , which doesn't sound too much on a per slice basis.
... does caffeine content survive baking ? if so maybe I just need a slice of cake for elevens's

Well as far as caffeine surviving baking, apparently it does according to one review on the cake. "If you’re not a coffee drinker (and I’m not), be prepared for the caffeine in this cake, as it packs a wallop. It actually kept me awake!"

I went with 3 tablespoons which weighed 13g. Now that I've tasted the cake, the coffee is there but subtle, it's much more prominent in the icing glaze. 20g and even a bit more would have been better.

Soldato
eibI1e.jpg

Tried making the Heinz Creationz pouch again tonight. Spanish beans mixed with egg, cooked under the grill, then finished off with grated cheese. Came out better than last time. A very quick and easy to make dish. Tasty too :)

Soldato
Gone vegan for a week just so force myself to try different things, made this today:

IUeSL1j.png

Pan-seared king oyster mushrooms, Thai spiced pea and avocado puree with crispy fried shallots.

Caporegime
You get a lot of sides in Korea, and PROPER Kimchi is amazing, none of this watery stuff in this country. Now sure why they gave me a side of Macroni salad though...must be some US influence from all the US military presence over the years.

I don't think I got a meal without kimchi. Sandwhich, kimchi. Icecream, kimchi. I jest of course, but you do get a LOT of kimchi!

K-2

K-2

Associate
yuvb59.jpg

Had a few eggs nearly a week past their use by date. They passed the dunking in water test, so I bunged them into the microwave with some milk, salt and pepper. Added some more pepper to taste after cooked and had with toast :)

This is an abomination.

eibI1e.jpg

Tried making the Heinz Creationz pouch again tonight. Spanish beans mixed with egg, cooked under the grill, then finished off with grated cheese. Came out better than last time. A very quick and easy to make dish. Tasty too :)

This, on the other hand, looks amazing. Keep 'em coming Craig!

Soldato
Got some Hellman's Vegan Mayo to try, it's expensive for the size of the jar but surprisingly very yummy and almost as close to the real thing that I could see myself using it as a replacement in my attempt to cut down on dairy products

Back
Top Bottom