When did Peugeots become cool?

Associate
Just moved into a new 3008 GTLine and I have come from a Ford Mondeo, Octavia before that.. My last one was an 18 plate and thought it was built solid and a comfy ride.

The 3008 is by far massively a step up in both features and ride quality. The interior is perfect. The digital display and i-cockpit are beautiful. Am I missing something? I hardly seem them and they seem to be looked down on been a Peugeot. The Mondeo and Octavia are dull/bland compared to the 3008. Are they just driven by old people :eek:

Soldato
Just moved into a new 3008 GTLine and I have come from a Ford Mondeo, Octavia before that.. My last one was an 18 plate and thought it was built solid and a comfy ride.

The 3008 is by far massively a step up in both features and ride quality. The interior is perfect. The digital display and i-cockpit are beautiful. Am I missing something? I hardly seem them and they seem to be looked down on been a Peugeot. The Mondeo and Octavia are dull/bland compared to the 3008. Are they just driven by old people :eek:

I'd take a Mondeo or Octavia over 3008 any day, can't stand SUV's. Do like the look of the 508 though, that said I haven't driven one.

Man of Honour
Mid 1980s I reckon. To be honest Peugeots have never been particularly un-cool to my knowledge, they have just been undesirable due to reliability issues, dodgy electrics etc.

To your point about 'family stuff' Peugeot has some cars with very big boots. My wife has a 308SW for example which at 660L compares very favourably with the competition (basically matches the biggest boots from the class above i.e. Superb / E-Class Estates). They've also taken a bit of a different approach on the interior to try and look 'cool' i.e. minimalist dash, small steering wheel etc. I quite like the exterior look too in metallic blue with chrome.

Soldato
I think mid 80's until the late 90's or very early 2000's is when they were cool.

205 GTi, 106 rallye etc, the 306 was quite nice for it's time but it all went downhill afterwards.

I do like the look of the 508 estate but their reliability has always been terrible and every generation for the last 20 years they always make a big song and dance about "We've finally nailed the reliability thing" and so far that's never been true so i'd be very wary of owning one.

Soldato
I bought my 3008 last year. Premium Model. Stunning car, absolutely stunning.

Had an Audi A4 S-Line before than and obviously started looking at the Q3. Then shopped around, before buying the 3008.

No regrets, love it. Brilliant car.

Soldato
Is the clutch still terrible?

I don’t have much (any) experience but I got my first car a few weeks ago, a 16 plate 208.

the clutch biting point is a lot higher than the mini I learned in but it’s much nicer to drive with, a lot more forgiving when bringing it back up and gear changes feel smoother.

Caporegime
They really lost their way with the 206 and 307. Bloated, poor dynamics and woeful reliability. It was such a sea change from the 205 and 306 and they really suffered for it. They’ve got some of this back in the past 3-4 years though, I’d have a 308 GTI for example but wouldn’t have been seen in a 307.

Back
Top Bottom