Calling Team 10

Soldato
I've dropped the clock and voltage on mine, sits at 90-100W at 3.7 GHz/1V.

Why did I not do this before?! I have the same chip as you (you may remember me from the TR3 thread), and I just opened Ryzen Master. I've gone from 4.0 all core, around 1.35v to 1.45v (auto settings, not manual), giving 85oC on air and using 280W (CPU only). Now I have 3.7 all core, 1v, and maxing out around 95W and 70oC on air with fans on silent mode. This I can live with. Leccy cost is down from about £26 extra to £9 extra a month, for negligible performance drop. Win!

Man of Honour
Why did I not do this before?! I have the same chip as you (you may remember me from the TR3 thread), and I just opened Ryzen Master. I've gone from 4.0 all core, around 1.35v to 1.45v (auto settings, not manual), giving 85oC on air and using 280W (CPU only). Now I have 3.7 all core, 1v, and maxing out around 95W and 70oC on air with fans on silent mode. This I can live with. Leccy cost is down from about £26 extra to £9 extra a month, for negligible performance drop. Win!
Nice one, I've also noticed no difference in Apex Legends which is pretty much the only game I play so may just keep it at this setting for day to day. I've got it saved as profile 2, profile 1 is 4.3 GHz all core at 1.275V.

You may have to increase slightly above 1V though, I had a minor bit of instability.

Soldato
I'm working from home at the moment using my work laptop and my desktop with a 2600x and vega 56 is sat next to me switched off and I feel guilty its not being used but I dont have a lot of time to mess about setting up and it gets hot in this room during the day when the sun is out its already 22C at 9:30am

That being said how noisy and hot will it get considering I am sat less than a ft away from it and how easy is it to setup?

Man of Honour
I'm working from home at the moment using my work laptop and my desktop with a 2600x and vega 56 is sat next to me switched off and I feel guilty its not being used but I dont have a lot of time to mess about setting up and it gets hot in this room during the day when the sun is out its already 22C at 9:30am

That being said how noisy and hot will it get considering I am sat less than a ft away from it and how easy is it to setup?
My work Mac is 6c/12t but I feel as if my main system is doing enough.

It's easy to set up, takes less than 10 minutes.

Soldato
My work Mac is 6c/12t but I feel as if my main system is doing enough.

It's easy to set up, takes less than 10 minutes.

Sorry what I mean is because I am using my work laptop to remote into work from home at my desk my gaming pc is sat right next to me switched off doing nothing but because its right next to me if I start folding am I going to cook considering I'm in a warm room and is it going to be noisy?

Man of Honour
Sorry what I mean is because I am using my work laptop to remote into work from home at my desk my gaming pc is sat right next to me switched off doing nothing but because its right next to me if I start folding am I going to cook considering I'm in a warm room and is it going to be noisy?
Just knock down the clocks and voltage, it doesn't need to be going like the clappers as if you're benchmarking. Get the CPU to 1V and lower clocks to 100 or so MHz below stock speed without boost.

Soldato
Just knock down the clocks and voltage, it doesn't need to be going like the clappers as if you're benchmarking. Get the CPU to 1V and lower clocks to 100 or so MHz below stock speed without boost.

Yeah thats what I was afraid of, I dont have time to tweak the CPU and GPU, soon as I finish work I have the kids until they go to bed. I'll try and have a look into it tonight after they go to bed

Associate
had some yesturday but dried up again, given the absolutely unprecedented surge in users folding its no surprise they are having trouble keeeping up, I read their post on the folding site saying as they increase server capacity by double everytime the demand for WU quadruples.

Soldato
Yeah thats what I was afraid of, I dont have time to tweak the CPU and GPU, soon as I finish work I have the kids until they go to bed. I'll try and have a look into it tonight after they go to bed

Don’t need to spend a huge amount of time on this.

Easy way for Intel chips atleast is to set max cpu at 99% in advanced power options. This disables boost. I don’t know if the same applies for Zen.

Otherwise in Ryzen Master or Intel Tuning utility drop down to 3.7ghz and 1ishV.

Test for 20 passes of 4096MB Intel Burn Test.

I’ll do a proper guide later on...

Are people getting many WU through? I haven't had any for 24 hours :(

had some yesturday but dried up again, given the absolutely unprecedented surge in users folding its no surprise they are having trouble keeeping up, I read their post on the folding site saying as they increase server capacity by double everytime the demand for WU quadruples.

See: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/cpu-folders-look-at-boinc-for-covid-19.18881281/

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom