• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
I want to upgrade my Geforce 980 as there are a few VR titles I'm keen to play for which it doesn't meet minimum spec. Probably makes sense to wait until the end of the year before changing though. I'm still kind of feeling like I'd rather spend the money on a PS5/XBX rather than a new video card :confused:

Guess I'll wait to see what Nvidia bring in the way of features, performance improvements and pricing before deciding though.

Last edited:
Associate
I buckled even before hearing this news. I've got a 5700 XT coming today as they're pretty good value compared to 2070 Super, I'll just wait for the 3070/3080 to emerge and enjoy RTX Control and whatnot later on.

Associate
I buckled even before hearing this news. I've got a 5700 XT coming today as they're pretty good value compared to 2070 Super, I'll just wait for the 3070/3080 to emerge and enjoy RTX Control and whatnot later on.
Which 5700XT did you get? I was going to buy the Gigabyte Aorus one but they went in up price the following day so settled for a 2070 Super as they went on sale, should last me a good while though! How are you finding the 5700XT?

Looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 though!

Soldato
im folding as well on my vega 56 and 3800x and if i game i put it on light and when not gaming i turn it to medium or full but that program really takes a grip on my machine and i hope it makes a difference running it

At the moment I got a 2060S just to do extra Covid19 folding when I wanna game on the TitanV. So depending on what's busy I use the other for gaming at the moment.

Associate
Which 5700XT did you get? I was going to buy the Gigabyte Aorus one but they went in up price the following day so settled for a 2070 Super as they went on sale, should last me a good while though! How are you finding the 5700XT?

Looking forward to Cyberpunk 2077 though!

I went with Powercolour Red Dragon 5700 XT which has 2 fans, as I'm currently limited for space in my case until I upgrade to a SFX PSU. I've had this card installed since about 5pm! DDU/uninstall nVidia drivers/install AMD drivers, all ok so far, my Freesync monitor was detected and enabled by default, great. This card has a BIOS switch; OC or silent, I prefer silence, went with that. So far its doesn't look like the zero fan mode is working, but they go to so low that I really can't tell anyway. There is some coil whine, not loud but there, I think I can just about accept it while casual gaming/without headphones and not a problem with headphones. I don't seem to be able to software control the fan speed over BIOS, but that maybe my Argus Monitor fan control software needs more updates. I thought I could hear coil whine just now at idle but it turned out to be my LED light bulb behind me :) It's louder than my 1070 but it would be because it uses more watts. It's fine so far though, pretty good for the money.

This should have gone in 5700 XT thread really whoops.

Soldato
Itching to upgrade my 1070 as it's just not performing well at 1440p with anything above low/medium. Debated over the 2080S but it seems overkill for 1440p. 2070S looks like the sweet spot as it's near 2080 speeds but significantly cheaper. I should see a 40-50% jump at the highest settings.

EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC ULTRA+ Overlocked
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super WINDFORCE OC

I can pick up either of those for £500. Swaying more towards the EVGA as it has higher boost clock, higher memory clock and 3 year warranty rather than 1. But, I still can't decide if this is a stupid idea and the better option would be to wait, or jump into a 2080S.

Soldato
This late in they day IMO yes.

Are you struggling with FPS now or really want to test RTX?

FPS struggles. In Warzone for example, I had to drop every single setting to the lowest (with AA off) and it can still dip below 60 frames at points, all while looking horrendous. Apex is similar although overall it averages higher.

Last edited:
Permabanned
Hmm at what RES as you shouldn't need to go that low, not more a game/engine bug issue?

I have a Titan Xp (2017 Full fat version) but did have a 1080Ti (fan died) but not that far ahead, not that much to drop those setting so much but I do not have that game.

Soldato
Hmm at what RES as you shouldn't need to go that low, not more a game/engine bug issue?

I have a Titan Xp (2017 Full fat version) but did have a 1080Ti (fan died) but not that far ahead, not that much to drop those setting so much but I do not have that game.

2560x1440.

Soldato
Itching to upgrade my 1070 as it's just not performing well at 1440p with anything above low/medium. Debated over the 2080S but it seems overkill for 1440p. 2070S looks like the sweet spot as it's near 2080 speeds but significantly cheaper. I should see a 40-50% jump at the highest settings.

EVGA RTX 2070 Super XC ULTRA+ Overlocked
Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super WINDFORCE OC

I can pick up either of those for £500. Swaying more towards the EVGA as it has higher boost clock, higher memory clock and 3 year warranty rather than 1. But, I still can't decide if this is a stupid idea and the better option would be to wait, or jump into a 2080S.

I have a gtx 1080 and I know that is struggling at 1440p on the more demanding games like red dead and borderlands.

Personally I want to be running round at 1440p 100-120fps with most stuff maxed out.

Performance wise I think a 2080ti would be about right for me but price is way too high. Im hoping to get around the same performance next gen at half the price.

Personally I would wait. Or try picking up a £300 5700xt to tide you over until next gen nvidias come out.

Soldato
A good 6 months til the new cards are out @Robi and the 2070S is a good solid buy, I'd go for one and you'll be fine for 2/3yrs easy at 1440p :)

I was originally going to wait for the 3xxx cards but given the on-going situation across the world, release could well be the back end of this year or even early 2021. AIB will lag behind reference cards, coupled with high demand, so it may take a few months to even get one in my machine.

£350 for a 40-50% upgrade (after selling my 1070) which will last 9-12 months minimum seems reasonable to me. I can always sell and move to the 3xxx if the performance increase is worth it.

Back
Top Bottom