• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Radeon RX 5700 XT Owners Thread.

Associate
Hi all,

I'm hoping you can help me out as i'm having a lot of issues with my PowerColor Radeon Red Dragon RX 5700 8GB Graphics Card.

Like many it seems i'm having trouble loading games, or if i can load them they don't let me play for long before the screen goes black, i get a bhuurr noise and then windows reboots and everything has closed.

I'm running the following system,
  • PowerColor Radeon Red Dragon RX 5700 8GB Graphics Card
  • MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX AMD AM4 Motherboard
  • AMD Ryzen 3700X Processor (8C/16T, 36MB Cache, 4.4GHz Max Boost)
  • Crucial Ballistix Sport LT Gray 16GB DDR4-3200 UDIMM x 2 (32GB) (BLS2K16G4D32AESB)
  • Corsair RM Series RM650 650W '80 PLUS GOLD MODULAR POWER SUPPLY (CP-9020194-UK)
I've used the following programs to test the system,
  • Heaven Benchmark
  • HW Monitor
  • CPU-z
  • Memtest 86

Thanks

Did you try using the 2 pci power cables not using the the one? i had to do the same on my gtx 1080 or it wouldn't boot.

Getting my 5700xt red devil today ill post some pics later when it arrives :D

Associate
Did you try using the 2 pci power cables not using the the one? i had to do the same on my gtx 1080 or it wouldn't boot.

There is already 2 cables attached, not sure if its clear in the photo i attached or not but i was advised this originally as i only had the one on it.

Soldato
Yea it's in my custom loop. 2x360 rads paired with a 3900x.

DSCF8347.jpg
Very nice, what case is that please?

Soldato
nonsense. power limit only increases the amount of power the card can use. @ 1070mv the card will only pull around 200w

ran my red devil at 1070mv @ 2100mhz for an average of 2000mhz clock. worked fine.

200w (gpu chip only power given by most monitoring software) is already above the reference power limit (which is 180w, gpu chip only).

So what do you think happens as a consequence?

Also a 100mhz drop you are seeing is also quite large. It normally only drops 50mhz as long as enough power is being provided and cooling is under control.

Last edited:
Associate
200w (gpu chip only power given by most monitoring software) is already above the reference power limit (which is 180w, gpu chip only).

So what do you think happens as a consequence?

Also a 100mhz drop you are seeing is also quite large. It normally only drops 50mhz as long as enough power is being provided and cooling is under control.

mine has always dropped 100mhz. I can set it to 2325mhz before it crashes.

set it to 50% power and guess what the power for the GPU didn't change. Go figure.

Associate
Which is the best value card to go for out of 5700XT? Gigabyte seems to be the one everyone recommends. Never heard of Powercolor but not been "in the game" for a while. Looking at the Nitro+ too.

Are the driver issues now largely resolved? I was thinking of going for this over the 2700 Super to save £80 but I really don't want the hassle of messing around with voltages and crap like that. I'm a plug and play kind of guy!

run mine stock on driver 20.2.2 and I get the occasional issue ( and I really mean occasional) but not when playing games. I have a powercolor red devil. Great card but quite long with the stock cooler.

Associate
Having not sent any PC components back before, will sending it back in its original box without the antistatic bag be ok?

Aj4SNvAm.jpg

Or is there something else that I'm likely to have at home to put it in and then stick it in the box?

Associate
I've got the same Dragon card, mine hasn't had those issues, hopefully an RMA will sort it for you.

I've played 16 hours of Shadow of the Tomb Raider, also testing gpu fan speed/noise over case fans etc to get the right balance of temps over noise.
Hitman too.

I think its either driver issues for me and/or Radeon Software, like the overlay to monitor temps will just disappear sometimes, to get it back I usually have to alt+tab to refocus the game window again and it comes back, things like that. I tried undervolting mine to improve temps but more testing is needed as that's when I started running into stability issues for me, so went back to defaults for now. I think the main issue is this card is on the limit of being able to cool it with the 2 fans and it needs plenty of decent air flow in the case.

I bought this just in time for furlough gaming! :) I underestimated how much actual space I have in my case (once I invest in a SFX PSU I can get up to 30cm long 2.5 slot card in here!), but hey it is a bargin compared to what nvidia is offering at the moment.

Current play / test is:
fan speed
CPU 58%
CASE 70%
GPU 47% rpm 1492
Shadow of the Tomb Raider
GPU 81C
Hot Spot 97C
VRAM 88C
VRM 74C

This is noiser than I'm used to but is actually ok, either you get used to the background noise or put headphones on!

Last edited:
Associate
Having not sent any PC components back before, will sending it back in its original box without the antistatic bag be ok?

Aj4SNvAm.jpg

Or is there something else that I'm likely to have at home to put it in and then stick it in the box?
If you still have the anti-static bag use that, if not it should really go in an anti-static bag or they might use that against your RMA claim. Just in case.

Soldato
Well, I've officially got rid of the Radeon R9 295x2 and the R9 290X Tri-Fire and gone for a single GPU in the Powercolor 5700XT. Slapped it in today and left it on automatic and looked at logs fully maxed out for an hour. Seems that the GPU clock speed varies from 2006mhz to 2013mhz and the ram stays stable at 1900mhz (actualy setting is 2075/1900) but the core does fluctuate around 55mhz lower.

Been playing BF5 and Modern Warfare very nicely, seems reliable. That's running 1200mv and 71C GPU and 95C Junction... not sure if that's too warm or not but that's 99% GPU usage to get to them temps... might fiddle around see if I can decrease this a little but only got the card to day so... as long as reliable. I know it won't run 1070mv at those clocks though, freezes straight away!

Happy with that considering it's cost me £279 quid... doesn't have the grunt in BF4 and a couple of other multi GPU games, but for the modern games now i.e. BF1/5/MW etc, single is the only way to go. Sad day today was when I pulled my old cards out...

Now to get benchmarking again hahaha and more improtantly, play games!

Last edited:
Soldato
Well, I've officially got rid of the Radeon R9 295x2 and the R9 290X Tri-Fire and gone for a single GPU in the Powercolor 5700XT. Slapped it in today and left it on automatic and looked at logs fully maxed out for an hour. Seems that the GPU clock speed varies from 2006mhz to 2013mhz and the ram stays stable at 1900mhz (actualy setting is 2075/1900) but the core does fluctuate around 55mhz lower.

Been playing BF5 and Modern Warfare very nicely, seems reliable. That's running 1200mv and 71C GPU and 95C Junction... not sure if that's too warm or not but that's 99% GPU usage to get to them temps... might fiddle around see if I can decrease this a little but only got the card to day so... as long as reliable. I know it won't run 1070mv at those clocks though, freezes straight away!

Happy with that considering it's cost me £279 quid... doesn't have the grunt in BF4 and a couple of other multi GPU games, but for the modern games now i.e. BF1/5/MW etc, single is the only way to go. Sad day today was when I pulled my old cards out...

Now to get benchmarking again hahaha and more improtantly, play games!

I think the local power plant will send you a thank you letter, cause their provisioning budget for the rest of your area just went up at least 20% :p. Anyway hope everything stays smooth and stable for you :)

Soldato
I think the local power plant will send you a thank you letter, cause their provisioning budget for the rest of your area just went up at least 20% :p. Anyway hope everything stays smooth and stable for you :)
Not when you've been running a R9 295x2 and a 290x... those things drew crazy power hahaha. I just checked this card won't run 1050mv at those speeds only seems stable at 1200mv... unless there's something I'm mnissing?

Soldato
Not when you've been running a R9 295x2 and a 290x... those things drew crazy power hahaha. I just checked this card won't run 1050mv at those speeds only seems stable at 1200mv... unless there's something I'm mnissing?

That's what i meant :) your old setup required a **** ton of power, your new single gpu setup, doesn't..

Feel that light breeze over your head? that was my last post :p /joke

Back
Top Bottom