How do you buy your phones?

Soldato
Just curious, I've had phones on contract in the past but the last few have been bought outright unlocked. There doesn't appear to be a lot in it price wise now as long as you're happy being tied in for a couple of years.

How do you buy yours? Any pros or cons to purchasing either way?

Man of Honour
Bought outright unlocked for the most part - think I had one on contract as it was the only way to get hold of it at the time.

I've usually managed to find good deals and/or had vouchers which has kept the price down a bit.

Associate
Whatever is cheaper.

This time I brought the phone outright SIM free.

Previous phone was cheaper on a two year contract with a decent chunk paid upfront.

Associate
Buy outright and then have a sim only package. Try and keep the phones at least two years, sometimes longer if they're still in good working order and then sell them on when I move onto the next one.

Associate
I think it depends what phones you go for. I tend to go mid range android, not a lot in the price at all - for example a bump up from my sim only 10gb deal (£12 p/m) to getting a Pixel 3a was an extra £11 per month.

Phone is currently £299 through google so the contract sees a minor saving. As earnings are a bit tight at the moment during lockdown while business is struggling, I am waiting for the june 80% self employed payments. Paying monthly at this time with a £30 saving over the 2 years is better for me than taking the £300 out in one go.

Soldato
I've been getting phones for me, and a few friends from cex, amazing services the time an ipad grade A arrived with a mark on the screen I returned it and got a refund no hastle.. A friend ordered a grade b ipad @ 600 it arrived as new (as far as I could tell)..

Soldato
Current phone was bought direct from the Realme website. Worked out about £5 dearer than other places but was here in two days instead of having to wait a few weeks for delivery from other places.

Associate
Sometimes contract is cheaper, sometimes sim-free. My previous phone, galaxy s9+ I got for £320 above what I was paying for my sim card anyway when the phone was worth £700.

Being hit by two 4% RPI increases over the course of a 24 month contract grinds my gears, so I buy outright these days.

I know it says it somewhere in the small print, but I still think it's dirty. A 2Y contract is meant to be a 2Y contract. Then after that, the terms can change.

As for handset buying choice, it was sim-free unlocked last time round. With carriers pushing 3Y contracts, I think we should all go sim-only.

Associate
I have a buy rarely approach, because I got bored of the things a long time ago.

I went from a Galaxy S4 to a S10e last year. USwitch deal, worked out at 560ish over 2 years with 100GB data.

Back
Top Bottom