Newcastle takeover???

Don
None of that (re Reuben bro's and Stavely's involvement) really adds up if this is going to be a City type ownership. One of the largest sovereign wealth funds do not need help with redevelopment projects and could buy local knowledge for a lot less than 10% equity of what would be a huge investment, nor would they not have somebody closer to home running the club. You wouldn't expect a long drawn out takeover process either. £300m is loose change to them and if they have earmarked Newcastle a sportswashing opportunity, you'd imagine that the takeover would have happened a lot quicker and a lot smoother.

Compare the situation with City's takeover. That deal happened very quickly with little to no media speculation. Officially speaking City claim that they're not owned by the state and instead owned by Sheikh Mansour (despite visiting Manchester just twice in 12 years) however the man that runs City, Khaldoon Khalifa Al Mubarak, is the right hand man of Sheikh Nahyan (the ultimate ruler) and is the de facto prime minister of Abu Dhabi. The guy running Man City is the guy that's most responsible for running Abu Dhabi, not some banker.

Now it's possible that Stavely and the Reuben brothers are just being used to save face just in case the deal didn't go through and will be bought out soon afterwards but if they do end up being long term minority owners then I'd be suprised if you see huge amounts of money being thrown at the club from the Saudi's.

Soldato
OP
Like I'm only guessing :)

NCUK investment Limited at company house recently updated it's director to Yasir Othman Alrumayyan. So they are involved. He's the head of the Saudi PIF. (Need to get these abbreviations right)

Maybe they just don't want to deal with Mike and that's probably a good enough reason as any lol

Don
I didn't say or was suggesting that they're not involved. I was specificially commenting on whether it would be a similar takeover to City's. These sovereign wealth funds invest in countless business around the world with varying involvements. Investments like the City deal aren't straight forward investments though. That was/is a case of money is no object with the sole purpose of sportswashing.

Soldato
OP
Dunno but Newcastle would seem to be a really poor investment if they didn't invest heavily on and off the pitch.

Yes we are a massive club but we have fallen behind because of mismanagement for the past 13 years.

It's probably a bit of both of PR/investment. Like 300m is chump's change for these guys and they are not afraid to buy businesses in decline in this market.

Like you said also a City style turn around will be quite tricky so all area's of Newcastle have to be improved.

That's probably why they are happy with the brothers and Amanda involvement as they seem really passionate about pushing Newcastle in the right direction.

Orrrrr a full buyout will happen after the deal is done like you said lol

Caporegime
Dunno but Newcastle would seem to be a really poor investment if they didn't invest heavily on and off the pitch.

Yes we are a massive club but we have fallen behind because of mismanagement for the past 13 years.

It's probably a bit of both of PR/investment. Like 300m is chump's change for these guys and they are not afraid to buy businesses in decline in this market.

Like you said also a City style turn around will be quite tricky so all area's of Newcastle have to be improved.

That's probably why they are happy with the brothers and Amanda involvement as they seem really passionate about pushing Newcastle in the right direction.

Orrrrr a full buyout will happen after the deal is done like you said lol

City were a bottom tier side and they bought really poorly for a lot of it. Newcastle has the stadium, facilities and fans. They just need a couple hundred million in the right areas with players and I do not see why they cannot be up there. Outside the top six their revenue seems to be one of the best. Not bad for a club that hasn't been at its best at recent times. They should get Benitez back tbh as well.

Pet Northerner
Don
City were a bottom tier side and they bought really poorly for a lot of it. Newcastle has the stadium, facilities and fans. They just need a couple hundred million in the right areas with players and I do not see why they cannot be up there. Outside the top six their revenue seems to be one of the best. Not bad for a club that hasn't been at its best at recent times. They should get Benitez back tbh as well.

First thing we need IMO is a new training ground. The number of soft tissue injuries we get is outstanding.

Can you remember the pictures of the "ice baths" with were green wheelie bins. It was embarrassing.

Soldato
OP
Yes I believe it's only recently that Newcastle slipped out of the top 20 football club rich list.

They have a far far better base to build on than City but can not go mental like they did because of FP rules.

Looks like Yasir Othman Alrumayyan will be chairman. With Jaime running the club daily once he leaves QPR.

Soldato

City didnt have FFP and when they did they cheated the system and were found out. Newcastle wont be able to go down that route.

Caporegime
There will still be ways and means to do it, much more gradual process though where they'll need to try and attract younger players who they can sell on for decent profit in 2-3 years. As always, scouting and recruitment will be the driving force so if they can't get that right they'll fail.

Man of Honour
Don
Dunno but Newcastle would seem to be a really poor investment if they didn't invest heavily on and off the pitch....
I'm not so sure. Afterall Ashley is going to walk away with a profit despite little to no investment. Anyway who knows what will happen moving forwards, imo it just seems slightly odd to have these minority partners if the Saudi's see this as a major investment/political investment.
They won't need to that's my point. Newcastle has way more pulling power than City ever had when they were taken over.
In what respect? In 2008/9, the season City were taken over, their matchday revenue (in a 48k seater stadium at the time) was £18.5m and their commercial revenue was £20.5m. That same season Newcastle's matchday revenue (in a larger stadium) was £13.4m and commercial revenue was £19.4m. Even looking at Newcastle's latest set of accounts (2017/18) doesn't do them many favours with matchday revenue still at just £24m and commercial revenue at just £27m, which was a significant increase on the season before.

Without wanting to **** our resident toon fans off, a lot gets said about the size of the club and fanbase but you really need to put things into perspective. Globally they're not a big club with a huge international fanbase that will drive the commercial side of the club and while they have a large and loyal local fan base, they don't have the millions of supporters that Liverpool or Utd have or the London market to flog thousands of corporate tickets.

As somebody said earlier in the thread too, Newcastle as a City is going to be a harder sell to players and their families than Manchester too.

Soldato
OP
I believe Newcastle is one of the biggest draws in the prem league outside the top 4.

You only have to check out the slump in skysports viewing numbers when they dropped out of the prem league.

Newcastle were pulling in 3.5-4m million views for the FA cup clash Vs Oxford recently.

They are a popular team.

They just need a push and show ambition.

Don
Everything is relative @Bigpig. Newcastle are a bigger club than the likes of Burnley, Brighton and Bournemouth but at best they're on a par with the likes of Everton, West Ham and Villa, a very long way short of even Spurs, let alone Liverpool and Utd.

I don't want to get too much into this because I don't want it to be seen as having a dig at Newcastle but it's not really that controversial a thing. Newcastle isn't a massive City nor a very rich City and the club hasn't had periods of major success to build up a huge following outside of the area/overseas.

Soldato
OP
That's not a problem your asking genuine questions.

Think I said before Newcastle have declined massively under Mike. Everton, westham and spurs have surpassed them.

It's the potential Newcastle hold and that is huge.

Don
I'm honestly not sure Newcastle have any greater potential than Everton or West Ham. Newcastle already have a dominant position in terms of fan base in the north east and due to things out of the clubs control (size and wealth of the City/area) it doesn't really generate them any more money than what clubs like Everton and West Ham generate. The potential, which would be the same for Everton, West Ham and the like, is growth outside of Newcastle and the north east. That growth will all stem from performances on the pitch though, with CL football being key and with the level of competition for the top spots now and FFP, even with all the intent in the world from the Saudi's, it won't be a quick or easy journey.

Soldato
OP
This is pretty interesting the more you look into it. The Reuben brothers just by them self's would nearly be the richest owners in the league at 18 billion never mind the Saudi's PIF.

There has to be major investment into the city as well.

I know FFP is now in the premier League but is there anything stoping Aramco Oil sponsoring the shirts for 1billion over 4 years?

OFC this deal could still break down but it's never been as close!! And as far as I can see Mike needs the cash because of the virus.

Back
Top Bottom