LG c9 OLED

Soldato
I have everything selected on mine except 3D which is greyed out inc YCC 422. Not had any issues with Xbox at all....

All set up, happy with image, I have turned off dynamic tone mapping in HDR game, find it too bright but depends on game I think, and until HGIG Is mainstream in games I think off is best.

Do you know what your OLED light is set to for SDR game mode?, default on the CX is 80, I have lowered it to 60, worried about static hud in games, but I don't think its much of an issue on the newer oleds now days.

Soldato
Mine is 65 for SDR game mode. Tbh I have never had any burn in on OLED and the tv’s are used for just about everything from hours of gaming, tv shows and movies... I have the logo prevention set to low....

Soldato
For gaming?

For general SDR TV i have oled light at 45 but I might lower it, most of my viewing is in a dark environment, I do normally have a side light on though, 25 for me is a little dim.

I've found 25 fine TBH. I've come from a plasma in the same room.

I'm used to in my cinema room a Panasonic 902B which I set at a light of 23 or a Sony Projector so maybe my eyes are just used to the slightly less brighter picture.

TBH I find whatever light I watch the TV on, if its in a dim envrionment, my lights adapt for SDR. Its why my projector at night makes me look away at a bright scene of light even though its light output is significantly lower than that of a TV.

Caporegime
These panels really do shine when you put a full-fat Blu-ray on them with a decent player.

I thought remuxed files were fine but I’ve just compared Rogue One via a remux on USB and the Blu-ray via an Oppo-203 and it’s night and day for anyone with a set of fully working eyeballs.

Soldato
These panels really do shine when you put a full-fat Blu-ray on them with a decent player.

I thought remuxed files were fine but I’ve just compared Rogue One via a remux on USB and the Blu-ray via an Oppo-203 and it’s night and day for anyone with a set of fully working eyeballs.

what bit rate was the remux / file size?

Caporegime

Have you tried with MPC HC + madvr?

It makes quite the difference plus you can fine tune the HDR etc. your liking.

Caporegime

It makes quite the difference plus you can fine tune the HDR etc. your liking.

I've tried all sorts for playing remuxes, just isn't the same as the image you get straight off the disc on a player like the Oppo-203.

Edit: It turns out the remux was slightly messed up with the metadata. It's a good thing the Oppo was only borrowed to test this! Does anyone know of a player that will pass Atmos and DTS:X over USB from a .mkv file? Can the Shield Pro do this?

Last edited:
Associate
I've tried all sorts for playing remuxes, just isn't the same as the image you get straight off the disc on a player like the Oppo-203.

Edit: It turns out the remux was slightly messed up with the metadata. It's a good thing the Oppo was only borrowed to test this! Does anyone know of a player that will pass Atmos and DTS:X over USB from a .mkv file? Can the Shield Pro do this?

Films on a HDD connected to a Shield do you mean? My 2017 Shield will play DTS-X and Atmos (Dolby TrueHD version) from files on a USB HDD no problem, even if the file is a 4K HDR film. Great picture too. Netflix etc are better than the internal app. The latest Shield (no stock anywhere) does Dolby Vision on all of the apps too - I'll upgrade when they're in stock.

Soldato
The bit rates were near enough identical, the remux file size was smaller due to the extras being removed and only having one language.
remux is a pirate though ? if you have the disk, would you really go the effort to set up a rip flow, and dedicate the storage. -how big a nas would you need
- don't you still need a 4k/uhd blu-ray drive with 'particular' firmware to rip, too

with the dynamic hdr on c9, (is there more user tone mapping control on the cx, like the panasonic) that can do a reasonable job .. I really look at madvr for upscaling/de-interlacing algorithms.

Caporegime
Films on a HDD connected to a Shield do you mean? My 2017 Shield will play DTS-X and Atmos (Dolby TrueHD version) from files on a USB HDD no problem, even if the file is a 4K HDR film. Great picture too. Netflix etc are better than the internal app. The latest Shield (no stock anywhere) does Dolby Vision on all of the apps too - I'll upgrade when they're in stock.

Cheers, this is what I'm looking for then.

Associate
Cheers, this is what I'm looking for then.

No worries

Set the Shield up as the server (I would recommend Plex) and make sure the external HDD is USB 3.0 and you'll be good to go. A full c.50GB rip from a 4K disc looks near perfect compared to the disc. The newer Shield always has a very impressive AI Upscaling feature which does wonders with 1080P content, so worth the wait, especially as you'll probably want Dolby Vision too.

Full specs here:

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/shield/shield-tv-pro/

Soldato
remux is a pirate though ? if you have the disk, would you really go the effort to set up a rip flow, and dedicate the storage. -how big a nas would you need

Depends on how big your collection is, though personally I'm very picky and prefer redundancy over just collecting everything. Got 30 TB which is not a lot at all but is fine for my current needs. I don't really see going past 50 TB for maaany years unless I become more aggressive with hoarding. Luckily it's cheap as chips either way ($180 for 12 TB). And I say that while at the same time mostly keeping the "remux" versions rather than doing a re-encode which could easily save me half the space for not much quality loss at all. Frankly for me it's more a case of I hate keeping things around, and am this close to also getting rid of my library as well (got a giant room with just books & bookshelves everywhere lol). Screw having stacks of blurays lying around. Digital is just SO. DAMN. Great!

But I'm a minimalist at heart.

Not this:
noxzucgbc8j21.jpg
More like this:
1456419730803196709.jpg

Soldato
Luckily it's cheap as chips either way ($180 for 12 TB)
stand corrected hadn't realised it could be that cheap (... do you need a meaty solid state drive for caching too ) ... all in, the 30TB, is $1K ? cheaper in the USA.

The newer Shield always has a very impressive AI Upscaling
what is your recomended review on shield ? I thought shield hardware had only received a small upgrade ..
and (discussed in an earlier thread) one of my motivations to get a shield would be as a PVR, but the hardware will not do 1080i freeview de-interlacing, using best algorithms,
or vp9.2 , which set a benchmark for me.
I'm sceptical of misuse of AI acronym, which samnsug have also used too with some poor reviews for 8K tv upscaling (... and LG abuse it for voice control -no)

Back
Top Bottom