scratch cards

Associate
i've never heard of seen anyone in uk winning £100 or £1000 on lottery scratch card and i'm beginning to conclude that it just doesn't exist and playing is pretty pointless because all everyone will ever win is couple of pounds of £1 or £2 which is proven fact so the question is have you or know anyone that's won bang on amounts said above?

Soldato
I went 3 ways on a £5 scratch card with a couple of mates using pocket change about 10 years ago and we won £500. Also worked in a corner shop and we gave out £2/300 wins every once in a while. It happens just not that regularly. Wins up to £50 are pretty regular and you have something like a 1/4 or just under chance of winning back your stake on a scratchcard.

It's not for me but as a random extra pound on a corner shop why not, just don't make it regular and don't expect to win big as its very unlikely, though people do.

Soldato
the whole point is they need to make more money from selling the cards than they give out in winnings.

so needless to say winning is very unlikely.

it's not something i ever bother with, same applies for gambling in general.

Soldato
Somoene somewhere has to win the jackpots otherwise there'd be no new games come out.

Most I ever won was £40 but I did already win by finding a £20 blowing in the wind down the street and bought 4 x £5 scratchies to get that £40

Soldato
Years ago my parents used to collect Pools coupons, they released their own scratchcards in about 1996. One of the old ladies we collected from won £50,000 from one she bought from me and kindly gave me £100! (I was 8 :p)

Used to get a guy come in to the shop I worked in who won £500 several years prior, he'd buy ridiculous amounts and tell me 'he was still up' - wasn't allowed to say anything, just got told to let him buy as many as he wanted.

Man of Honour
Colleague won £680 once* (not sure details) and a neighbour made the local news after winning 10K on them.

* IIRC he'd been spending £5 a week on the lottery for around 3-4 years by that point so doubt it even covered what he had paid so far.

Soldato
one of my sons school friends parents won £300k on a scratchcard

my personal trainer at the gym won £500k on a McDonalds monopoly thing from his drinks carton. This was years ago when he was 16, and fortunately bought a house, rented it out, and eventually bought another not far from where I live. When I saw it on rightmove I felt sick. It's very very nice! It's got a massive kitchen with a glass roof, and a double island in the middle. Jealous!

personally the most I've won is £1....which considering the scratchcard cost me £1 I basically got my money back

Caporegime
A tax on the stupid, just like 99% of all gambling.

Or a bit of harmless fun, depending on how you look at it.

I don't buy them but if we're gonna start calling people stupid for spending the price of a pint on a little jolly then where do we start? Pint of beer? Packet of fags? Chocolate bar? None of which are necessary purchases, are the people buying those also stupid?

Soldato
Or a bit of harmless fun, depending on how you look at it.

I don't buy them but if we're gonna start calling people stupid for spending the price of a pint on a little jolly then where do we start? Pint of beer? Packet of fags? Chocolate bar? None of which are necessary purchases, are the people buying those also stupid?

If they can’t really afford these purchases, yes they are.

Caporegime
you can see the different odds of the different scratch cards on their websites.
the smart people don't buy them but if you must make sure the ones you buy are fairly fresh and won't have most of the lower tier prizes already claimed

Caporegime
i've never heard of seen anyone in uk winning £100 or £1000 on lottery scratch card and i'm beginning to conclude that it just doesn't exist and playing is pretty pointless because all everyone will ever win is couple of pounds of £1 or £2 which is proven fact so the question is have you or know anyone that's won bang on amounts said above?

the chances of winning money in any lottery is slim. however scratch cards are terrible odds.

i know at least 20 plus people who all own shops which sell lottery tickets and scratchcards and demand has gone up because co-op and the likes don't want physical contact from handing them over and back for winnings, etc so they stopped selling them. so even more people have been driven to go to independents for their fix.

some are serious addicts. i've seen one woman whilst in visiting a mate spend £100 on £5 scratchcards. not in 1 go. she will buy 1 or 2 or sometimes 4. then win a few quid on one then buy 2 more. then 2 more then 2 more until shes dropped a ton on them sometimes she can be in the shop for hours just buying one or two. going outside then coming back in 5 mins later to get more.

needless to say with the amount they sell. and the amount of people who go away empty handed. it's a mugs game.

Caporegime
Ah, but you've just inserted a condition which renders your sweeping generalisation moot. I'm not sticking up for anyone here, I just think that all people who make sweeping statements are idiots.
I'm sure there are worst things you could spend your money on like the national lottery, probably more wise than giving to charity tbh.

it could be worse.

personally wouldn't touch them

Back
Top Bottom