Windows 10

Soldato
I saw it on a few different machines after the last updates, and they were all already on 1909. I just assumed it was one of those MS update glitches. Just be thankful it wasn't anything more serious.
I suppose I should be glad that MS didn't decide they wanted to delete of my files. Still, things could have been worse:
Last week, Microsoft released Windows 10 KB4556799 cumulative update as a part of the Patch Tuesday update. The update brought some new features and improvements to the operating system but it looks to have also included some bugs.

First spotted by Windows Latest, it looks like KB4556799 is causing audio issues and temporary data loss for some users. According to Reddit (1, 2), Microsoft answers forum and the Feedback Hub, users are facing issues ranging from problems with audio driver configuration to automatic driver uninstallation. It seems like the issue can be fixed by disabling audio enhancements and reinstalling the Realtek driver.

Audio issues are not the only one causing issues for Windows 10 users. According to users on Microsoft answers forum, users are also experiencing data loss. The silver lining here is that the issue seems to be temporary. As Microsoft loads a temporary profile during updates, it sometimes overrides the default user profile. This has been reported in the past but Microsoft never acknowledged the issue. Some users have confirmed that restarting the computer around six to eight times after the update loads back the default profile and restore all the user files.

If the workarounds don’t help then you can head to Settings>Update and Security>View Update History>Uninstall updates, and uninstall the latest cumulative update. Once done, we recommend going back to Update settings and pausing the updates temporarily to ensure the problematic updates are not downloaded again.
Windows 10 KB4556799 update is causing audio issues and data loss for some users - MSPoweruser

Permabanned
Caporegime
Associate
Not sure I can make myself understood here :) Is there any way to increase the size of the 'grab handle' in window corners - the position the mouse cursor needs to be to get hold of it to drag when re-sizing? Currently seems to be about 1 pixel in size and an utter pain getting it in just the right position...

Soldato
I also got KB4497165 through Windows Update. I thought it was odd, because it seemed to be dated for January 2020, but I let it pass as I have a 7th generation i5.

V F

V F

Soldato
Does anyone actually use the MS store ?

Ive not been in it once, just no interest at all in the bloody thing :p

EDIT:

Actually, my Nvidia drivers CP comes through it :D

I don't. There is nothing in it that appeases me that I can't get on the phone or tablet.

Soldato

EDIT:

thats only if you install the DCH version of the drivers.

Install the standard version and you dont need the CP from the store as its included in the drivers

Soldato

EDIT:

I remove the store and apps from my install images as, like yourself, I have no use for the store or apps. I just wish Microsoft would try to force the store upon us, such the Nvidia drivers. :rolleyes:

thats only if you install the DCH version of the drivers.

Install the standard version and you dont need the CP from the store as its included in the drivers
The Nvidia drivers might be the one thing that makes me leave the store in my future images of Windows 10 installations. I worry that one day they remove the standard drivers for good leaving only the DCH drivers and that I need the store installed to install the Nvidia drivers.

Although I still have no intentions of creating a Microsoft account to either use the store or log in to Windows.

Soldato

EDIT:

It's only there so Microsoft can say "look how many people use our store!" simply on the basis that it comes bundled with Windows 10. I'm not quite sure how they got skewered for doing the same thing with IE years ago, yet this time it's all fine. ;)

Soldato
I remove the store and apps from my install images as, like yourself, I have no use for the store or apps. I just wish Microsoft would try to force the store upon us, such the Nvidia drivers. :rolleyes:

The Nvidia drivers might be the one thing that makes me leave the store in my future images of Windows 10 installations. I worry that one day they remove the standard drivers for good leaving only the DCH drivers and that I need the store installed to install the Nvidia drivers.

Although I still have no intentions of creating a Microsoft account to either use the store or log in to Windows.
I also remove the app store from my W10.

I have only just moved over to Nvidia for a GPU (AMD 390 8GB to a 2070S) and see nothing has changed with the CP. without this you cannot access any settings so I hope they dont remove it from drivers.

I had no joy trying to find the setup files for the CP either which im surprised about as you can normally find most things online

Soldato
I found the page quite easily by going to google and typing in Nvidia standard drivers and it was the first result.

first result was “Advanced driver search” which was what I used to download the standard drivers yesterday

Back
Top Bottom