• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Intel 10th Gen Comet Lake thread

Associate
Ryzen's not that much better, it's slower in gaming that Intel's 5 year old Skylake architecture. Both vendors are equally pathetic - AMD for not being able to beat 14nm Skylake garbage in gaming, and Intel for being stuck on 14nm/Skylake.

Now is a bad time to buy a CPU, wait for Intel's proper next gen (Rocket and Alder lake), these have a 15-20% IPC improvement and will be the leap forward in gaming performance many care about.

At 1440p or 4K there is nothing in it with Ryzen winning in some. Zen 3 appartently has at least a 15% performance boost over Zen 2 and i should imagine Rocket Lake going up against Zen4. My guess is over the next couple of releases AMD will pull away and it will be a few years before Intel come back.

Not that i really care one way or the other as personally i like trying all brands when they are ahead or at least really close to equal and homnesty believe brand loyalty is dumb

Soldato
At 1440p or 4K there is nothing in it with Ryzen winning in some.
https://youtu.be/ffKHk-M_8eY?t=518

Keep in mind DF like to use these same benchmarks all the time and have been for a while tho, but in these there is a difference even @ 1440p.

But yea if you game at 4k you wouldn't really care. But i don't and won't be for a while as i care about higher fps.

Associate
The thing is that many boards disregard Intel's TDP and enable all the stock enhancement features (short of actual overclocking) by default. So your casual 10900k owner puts this in his PC and loads optimized default bios and then he runs any multicore workload the CPU jumps t0 280w

Steve mentions all that in the video. He also mentions people being hung up on the 280w figure as if the PC is just sitting there sucking up 280w at all times. It’s a great dramatic figure to use but it’s not a reality. It’s the same warcry that was used for the 9900k. In reality, the 10900k is a good platform for overclocking but has limited practical use outside of that. Translation: I personally like it but won’t recommend it to others.

In contrast, the 10600k with a 199 board and bdie on the other hand, I have no problems recommending to anyone wanting the sweet spot for best gaming performance and is willing to tune it mildly.

Soldato
In contrast, the 10600k with a 199 board and bdie on the other hand, I have no problems recommending to anyone wanting the sweet spot for best gaming performance and is willing to tune it mildly.

I really would like to know why you promote a platform which

a) Ethernet issues, requiring to be capped at 1Gb/s before packet loss
b) doesn't support PCIe 4.0 in 2020
c) already would be replaced by Intel in 5 months and by that time next year with LGA 1700.
d) Consumes more power and is more expensive. We talk here about 60%+ more power over competition for barely any gains, more expensive boards, higher cost cooler
e) That best "performance" applies only when used with an Nvidia £1500 GPU. So far from "budget".

Associate
I really would like to know why you promote a platform which

a) Ethernet issues, requiring to be capped at 1Gb/s before packet loss
b) doesn't support PCIe 4.0 in 2020
c) already would be replaced by Intel in 5 months and by that time next year with LGA 1700.
d) Consumes more power and is more expensive. We talk here about 60%+ more power over competition for barely any gains, more expensive boards, higher cost cooler
e) That best "performance" applies only when used with an Nvidia £1500 GPU. So far from "budget".

Use cases matter: The people I'm recommending it to are looking for a platform that gives them 120fps locked in VR doing sims. Sims and vr respond to high frequency and fast mem with tuned timings. Having a lot of experience with bdie, it's easy for me to help them get most out of their kits which keeps them from dipping into re-projection. If you have extensive real world experience with VR sims, happy to take your feedback. The other group is playing competitive fps and want as close to matching their 240hz monitors. Infact, the money they're saving by going with a 10600k and a 199 range board fuly tuned up vs stepping upto a 10700k/10900k ecosystem is being applied towards a higher end gpu.

A 2080s is plenty high end for the group above and notably cheaper than 1500. As a reference point, my 2080ti I bought at launch was under 1100gbp which in hindsight was a great buy seeing that it's still the top of the food chain almost 1.5years later. I haven't had a need to keep up with 2080ti pricing so I'll defer to your research on the current price points.

I always have and will continue to recommend based on people's use cases and not lists in the abstract.

Soldato
Utter gubbins, you're recommending people save on the chip when they've clearly not saved at all in any other component, with expensive cooling, mobo, memory, VR system and GFX card.
The same person would get a 10900K.
Its like saving by buying a £75 monitor.
Leo said it best, no one should buy the 10600K.

Soldato
The games Digital Foundry tested again seem to show the biggest advantage to Intel right now.

Though those who game at 4k probably don't care either way, i game at 1440p high hz so hoping Zen 3 is a big boost personally.

Oh yes I knoew Intel are faster overall in the current gen, I was specifically talking about Skylake, no others. As you say at 1440p and 4k the difference is minimal anyway even with the newest Intel chips.

Soldato
Surely the argument lies where the value is for the entire platform. Not just the CPU performance. I mean intel CPU clearly has better and more refined architecture that is capable of doing more per cycle but at the same time chuck out the heat of a star! While AMD clearly isn’t that far behind in games - 5-10% in most situation and the gap narrows to nothing at 1440p or 4K.

but the intel platform and CPU cost combined is ridiculous! Have anyone seen the pricing on the motherboard??? Their CPU isn’t that competitive either.

I mean if you want a gaming CPU AMD has 3300. If you want a bit of do it all AMD one then you got the 3600, 3800 or go to 3900 they are all cheaper then and more utilitarian than the intel offering. But the biggest plus for me is the motherboards. There are a range of price and chipset you can choose. Intels latest will only support comet lake. Where there are B350 x370 B450 X470 X570 to choose from. Prices range from £40 to £600 depend on your needs.

surely AMD gives more consumer choices and therefore is better for us. Intel just wants to stuff us with expensive reharsh... and expects us to pay through our pores!

Caporegime
Surely the argument lies where the value is for the entire platform. Not just the CPU performance. I mean intel CPU clearly has better and more refined architecture that is capable of doing more per cycle but at the same time chuck out the heat of a star! While AMD clearly isn’t that far behind in games - 5-10% in most situation and the gap narrows to nothing at 1440p or 4K.

The intel architecture is ageing and the only reason it's "refined" is they've been stuck on 14nm so long, and they're scraping ahead in gaming as they have been forced to get as much clock speed out of it as possible power and temps be damned. 10 cores drawing more power than a 12 or 16 core tells you they're basically at the limits of what they can do currently on their 14nm+++ process. Intel have pretty much always been good at getting a lot of clock speed out of a cpu, Pentium 4 Prescott could get over 4ghz pretty easily and that was years before amd had anything that could get close to that speed, though they really didn't need to as the Pentium 4 pipeline got longer with every iteration, started out at around 20 and topped out at about 31 with Prescott. 4ghz looked good on paper but it was lacking in ipc thanks to its 30 or so stage pipeline.

They have a 500-600ish mhz clock speed "advantage" and gaming is really the only area where they're pulling slightly ahead.

Back
Top Bottom