• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Is it worth cashing in my 2080ti for a RTX 3080? Use a RTX 2060 in the short term?

Associate
Hmmm dilemma time, thinking of cashing in my RTX 2080ti, ahead of the possie, should fetch around £900ish, picked up a RTX 2060 (non super) the other day for £150, but it would mean running at 1440p on my 4k display, until the RTX 3080 is released in Q4...

Last time around my old GTX 1080ti, pretty much matched the RTX 2080 other than the Ray tracing....

But what is the general word on the street will the RTX 3080 match or likely beat the 2080ti by a decent margin and perhaps be cheaper too? Sub £800?

Soldato
Put it this way. If the 30 series is much better at ray tracing then it will hurt the value of weaker ray tracing cards. It's a slight gamble but I'd sell before any hard facts emerge and get back as much cash as possible.

Associate
OP
Selling while prices are high too, generally the price is dropping at this time of year, but with the Covid issues, It appears to of sent prices up or at least similar to winter time prices...

I think I could live with a 1440p 60 FPS experience upscaled to 4K for a few months, though no doubt some tweaking of settings to get it smooth..

Subject to testing the RTX 2060 at 1440p over the weekend, I might well be selling on my 2080ti....going to test on AAA games, such as Control, Metro, Assassins creeds, definitely no Ray tracing, no doubt mostly high settings to keep the FPS smooth at 60fps

Associate
A 2080ti will have resale value for a long time but the depreciation is likely to be one of the steepest seen in a long time if that concerns you sell it soon.

Check it’s got a transferable warranty though especially if you’re looking for £900 on a used part

Associate
I reckon that the 2080ti will be worth around 400-500 S/H once the new cards come out. There will also be a lot of people waiting to jump on the EoL stock once new cards arrive so you need to factor that in too.

Soldato
I reckon that the 2080ti will be worth around 400-500 S/H once the new cards come out. There will also be a lot of people waiting to jump on the EoL stock once new cards arrive so you need to factor that in too.

Agreed. Also factor in AMD may have high performing well priced cards that could affect the market. Definitely looking promising for buyers with increasing competition.

Associate
OP
A 2080ti will have resale value for a long time but the depreciation is likely to be one of the steepest seen in a long time if that concerns you sell it soon.

Check it’s got a transferable warranty though especially if you’re looking for £900 on a used part

The card is an MSI card, they are usually pretty good with RMA, I bought the card used though.

Soldato
Nobody knows the price, performance or release date of the next nvidia and amd gpus. Nor does anyone know how the prices of older cards will be affected.

It's far from impossible that the 3080 will be slower than the 2080ti.

You've spent £1000-1200 on the best graphics card, so I'd assume you have an avid interest in high end gaming. Are you really gonna give that up for 6+ months cause it might save you a couple hundred quid? It also might save you nothing, it might even cost you (people were paying silly money for s/h 1080 ti cards on the 2080 launch).

Associate
Nobody knows the price, performance or release date of the next nvidia and amd gpus. Nor does anyone know how the prices of older cards will be affected.

It's far from impossible that the 3080 will be slower than the 2080ti.

You've spent £1000-1200 on the best graphics card, so I'd assume you have an avid interest in high end gaming. Are you really gonna give that up for 6+ months cause it might save you a couple hundred quid? It also might save you nothing, it might even cost you (people were paying silly money for s/h 1080 ti cards on the 2080 launch).
I agree that nobody knows what the price performance is for these cards but you can make some guesses based on historical releases - thats all you can do. The reason that the 1080ti prices were going for silly money was the 2080 performed similarly for more money than the outgoing ti. If this situation repeats itself then I think sales will be in a very bad situation (3080 for 1200 quid) - dont even think that Jensen is that greedy / stupid.

Associate
If this situation repeats itself then I think sales will be in a very bad situation (3080 for 1200 quid) - dont even think that Jensen is that greedy / stupid.

There's nothing to say that the current sales situation is bad though is there? I mean, as a strategy it seems to have worked for them as far as I can tell, and until/unless AMD get their act together, what's to stop it continuing?

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I agree that nobody knows what the price performance is for these cards but you can make some guesses based on historical releases - thats all you can do. The reason that the 1080ti prices were going for silly money was the 2080 performed similarly for more money than the outgoing ti. If this situation repeats itself then I think sales will be in a very bad situation (3080 for 1200 quid) - dont even think that Jensen is that greedy / stupid.

True all wise words, I did buy the card for around £600, I've used it for a good eight months or so, based on the Covid situation, release dates for the new cards could be delayed as opposed to the potential September / October 2021 release... I'm going to have a weekend with the 2060, see if I can cope with the downgrade, I run my 2080ti this morning, setting it to 1440p output and mostly I was fairly pleased with the results, I tended to notice the graphics looked more vibrant at 4k and a little less so at 1440p with all the same settings.

Associate
OP

True, I would guess the RTX 3080 will perhaps have a small gain over the RTX 2080ti for around £800ish, maybe a moderate improvement with the Ray tracing, I must admit currently the Ray tracing is a nice feature, but far from essential, something that perhaps the RTX 4080ti might do really well at, at a reasonable price.

One thing Jensen can hang his hat on, is the potential for limited stock release, bumping up the price and blaming it all on Covid, PC owners still kept on buying even when the mining craze sent prices sky rocketing...

Back
Top Bottom