• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Some guy who wanted to buy my RTX 2070 but was saying I need to lower the price because release date for the 30 series is in the next few days.. is it?
Most likely was from someone on here

Even in November 2019 & December 2019 i had some members on here telling me i be crazy buying a 20 series as the 30 series is getting released very soon :rolleyes:
I wasted about 4 months before buying one in march due to listening to this crap

Last edited:
It's a matter of perspective I guess, some people can be so impatient when it comes to upgrades.
Ultimately I prefer to buy near the beginning of a product life cycle rather than near the end of one. (Unless you are discount hunting).
I find you suffer less buyers remorse that way.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
It's a matter of perspective I guess, some people can be so impatient when it comes to upgrades.
Ultimately I prefer to buy near the beginning of product life cycle rather than near the end of one. (Unless you are discount hunting).
+1

With second hand prices being not far of brand new prices these days and cards at the end of their cycle keeping value all the way until replaced, it makes a lot more sense buying at the start of a graphics card life cycle.

Soldato
It’s probably 2 months away, but he’s likely to be right about the price Turing value should be starting to fall now

2 months is optimistic!

Fact of the matter is that the value hasn't dropped. Don't think any seller would agree to factor in 3000 series being 3-4 months away when pricing for new GPUs aren't even doing that.

Associate
What are peoples thoughts on buying used GPU's? How often do they fail or have problems? considering buying something used to tide me over until the next gens come out.

Soldato
Ultimately I prefer to buy near the beginning of product life cycle rather than near the end of one. (Unless you are discount hunting).
Some people may call it impatient but i would call it wasting many months of my life waiting around for the latest thing to come out

If am not happy playing my games with the low FPS i was getting there no way am going to wait around for about 12 months to upgrade just to try save a few hundred quit..

Last edited:
Permabanned
Last time in got an amd gpu was a 9800 back in 2002. Never again will I buy an amd cpu or gpu. My choice.

I got a 9800 PRO back then, fantastic card. Next CPU will almost certainly be AMD. I'll see what offers the best fetures before I decide on GPU, be that AMD, Intel or Nvidia. It's never a good idea to limit your own choice.

Associate
What are peoples thoughts on buying used GPU's? How often do they fail or have problems? considering buying something used to tide me over until the next gens come out.

I've never had a GPU fail on me. It just comes down to GPU failure rate - it's pretty low. I had a second hand 1070 for 18 months, thats the only second hand PC part I've bought, no issues. Resold it recently, just wrap it in an anti-static bag+airbags etc.

Caporegime
I've never had a GPU fail on me. It just comes down to GPU failure rate - it's pretty low. I had a second hand 1070 for 18 months, thats the only second hand PC part I've bought, no issues. Resold it recently, just wrap it in an anti-static bag+airbags etc.
I've had two or three die on me. The first was an ATI Radeon 9000 years and years and years ago. Failed fairly soon after I bought it.

The third I attacked with a hoover and destroyed by sheer force of idiocy :p Also AMD/ATI, but not exactly their fault ;)

Associate

Try to get one with a bit of warranty left if you can, but we're out of the mining craze days so you're a lot less likely now to get one that's been thrashed to hell 24/7 than, say, two years ago.

Associate
They tend to be over priced is my experience because people seem to forget about warranty and risk which pushes the prices artificially high. Good for sellers though, but they also have to deal with BS, returns and people trying to rip them off with auction sites favouring the side of buyers of seller usually so if the price is high the sale is fragile unless you know/trust one another.

Associate
2 months is optimistic!

Fact of the matter is that the value hasn't dropped. Don't think any seller would agree to factor in 3000 series being 3-4 months away when pricing for new GPUs aren't even doing that.

2 months for an announment, not the release that puts us into mid-August feels about right. Value is dropping because people are waking up to the news and rumour noise which is starting to solidify now. I wonder what OCuK will do with all their 2080Ti stock?

Back
Top Bottom