*****Official BBQ Thread - Suns out, Buns out!*****

Soldato
Thanks both,

To be fair, if it's just me and my wife, I have a 1.5kg shoulder, it will feed us + do lunches for 3-5 days ahead.

- Did you bother wrapping at all? I usually just use a slow cooker, sitting in some sort of beer / lader / cider, so on the smoker will be new :)

- Any clue on the time it took to reach temp cooking at 115c? Just for timing, a good idea from other experiences would be welcome :)

Soldato
Thanks both,

To be fair, if it's just me and my wife, I have a 1.5kg shoulder, it will feed us + do lunches for 3-5 days ahead.

- Did you bother wrapping at all? I usually just use a slow cooker, sitting in some sort of beer / lader / cider, so on the smoker will be new :)

- Any clue on the time it took to reach temp cooking at 115c? Just for timing, a good idea from other experiences would be welcome :)

You also don't have to wrap it, but you do need to keep it on the BBQ until the internal temp is in the 90-95c range and you can probe it like butter. I wrap in butcher's paper because it gives less of a "steamed" flavour that I find foil does, and it speeds the process up.

I can't really be bothered with low and slow any more. It takes far too long and I get great results with higher temps. For example, I do pulled pork at 150c these days.

I said this ^^ in relation to a question about a lamb shoulder, but the same thing applies to pork.

Soldato
I said this ^^ in relation to a question about a lamb shoulder, but the same thing applies to pork.

Interesting, thanks.

Faster sounds great as 8-12 hours worries me, rather not be doing it overnight :D

So I assume, let it smoke 1-2 hours, then either wrap it (or not) and let it continue to get to temp for X hours? :)

Soldato
Interesting, thanks.

Faster sounds great as 8-12 hours worries me, rather not be doing it overnight :D

So I assume, let it smoke 1-2 hours, then either wrap it (or not) and let it continue to get to temp for X hours? :)

I've had some shoulders take 20 hours at low temps. At 150c I can get a 2.2kg shoulder from Costco done in 6-7 hours. It doesn't seem to take much longer to do a 4kg one vs a 2kg in my experience.

I generally smoke it until the internal temp hits 70-73c (or it has clearly hit the stall) and then double wrap it tightly in butcher paper and put it back until it's done. You'll get a thousand more opinions so just try all the various methods until you find one that works for you :)

Soldato
Thanks both,

Nope, as I used the Sous Vide, I just put it on to get the crust, bowl of water to keep some moisture in the Kamado, came out spot on, enough moisture still in it.

Soldato
Nope, as I used the Sous Vide, I just put it on to get the crust, bowl of water to keep some moisture in the Kamado, came out spot on, enough moisture still in it.

I like the sound of the butchers paper if I'm honest to help keep the moisture in. I may also try a smaller joint by the sounds of it :)

That said, I only have foil right now and a quick google shows various options and some being quite pricey. Any recommendations? I imagine it will be used in the future for other bits also :)

PS. Just stumbled across this, WoodSmoke 20. National Smokers & BBQ Weekend 31st July - 2nd August 2020. Not sure how big it is, but could be good excuse to get away from the kids for a day or 2 :) - if it goes ahead of course.

Last edited:
Permabanned
I like the sound of the butchers paper if I'm honest to help keep the moisture in. I may also try a smaller joint by the sounds of it :)

That said, I only have foil right now and a quick google shows various options and some being quite pricey. Any recommendations? I imagine it will be used in the future for other bits also :)

PS. Just stumbled across this, WoodSmoke 20. National Smokers & BBQ Weekend 31st July - 2nd August 2020. Not sure how big it is, but could be good excuse to get away from the kids for a day or 2 :) - if it goes ahead of course.
few people off here that may be going .. https://www.woodsmokeforum.uk/ all have there fingers crossed :)

Soldato
BBQ related question. we would like a nice BBQ this year but i have know where to store it inside like a shed so it would be under a tarp is there any other way to keep it good?

Soldato
BBQ related question. we would like a nice BBQ this year but i have know where to store it inside like a shed so it would be under a tarp is there any other way to keep it good?

All of mine are stored outside year round! My Master Touch has a bit of corrosion at the back, but that is from where the missus managed to push it over and dent the bowl and crack the porcelain. :( My little Weber has been uncovered for years and looks in perfect condition, my WSM has the cover it came with and I bought a cheap cover for my MT on Amazon that does the job. They do all get used throughout the year though so no point in putting them away.

I had a couple steaks from Meat Matters on the BBQ the other night. They were fantastic pieces of meat! I did a reverse sear for about 25mins at a low temperature then blasted them over the Vortex for a couple minutes. The reverse sear works really well on thicker steaks, they were perfectly rare in the middle but nice and charred on the outside. :D

isZrGPMh.jpg

eqf7h3Ph.jpg

Soldato
Did a spatchcock Piri Piri chicken on Tuesday, ended up ruining Nandos for myself as it was so good!

Sauce was simply:

12 cloves of garlic
2 red chillies
Dired Oregano
Smoked Paprika
Bay Leaf
Black peppercorns
Olive oil

Dry brined the chickens in salt for about 6 hours before cooking, then cooked to 160f in the breast over one chunk of applewood in my Aldi Kamado.

Results speak for themselves:

x2V6LSU.jpg

O9oVNLh.jpg

Associate
Question: do you still oil a steak if its going on the BBQ?

I like to think I can cook a mean steak in my cast iron skillet but never seem to have much success on the BBQ, mainly because I seem to get a load of black liquid oozing out of it :confused:

Back
Top Bottom