Windows 10

Man of Honour
Why is it such a big deal that they replaced Edge with Edge? I'm missing something obviously :confused:. You can still change it. Google still nags you to use Chrome instead whenever you visit a google site. What's the issue?

It is the manner they are doing it in - especially as the user has already made decisions for what they want and that is being ignored.

EDIT: As I've said before I'd be more forgiving if they made a proper distinction between the home and professional editions - but they basically treat the end user like dirt as if they don't matter with little real options for those that know what they are doing to take proper control of their OS as they want. Although I still don't think it is great as these kind of approaches tend to confuse less technical users when the environment they are used to changes and they don't understand the change.

Last edited:
Soldato
But Edge was already there. I get it might be annoying if you're doing an inline upgrade and you already have another browser installed but just let it set edge up then change the default back. Then it's dealt with. There's plenty to criticise MS for but this is really nothing. They way that article is written though, you'd think it was the end of the world.

When a smarter and better person than you tells you something, just accept is a fact and don't argue.

Ok?

I'm not sure you are quite proving the point you thought you were by quoting that ...

Soldato
I'm running the cmd now to fetch Feature update to Windows 10, version 20H2 (19042.330) amd64 and since they coming from Microsoft servers it should be ok.
That's the same one I used, only I chose en-gb language and just selected the Pro edition. For some reason the Enterprise wouldn't install.

Soldato
I'm struggling to remotely update a netbook with a 32GB eMMC drive from 1511 to anything above.

Can't delete some C:\OSRSS folder which is ~3.3GB in size and C:\Recovery which is ~2.3GB - that space could be used to force the machine into upgrading. Whoever thought that 32GB would be enough for a Windows 10 installation should have their heads examined. :mad:

Soldato
New windows 10 install and can't automatic login?

I go to Run and enter netplwiz and I don't see Uncheck Users in there? Was this changed in the new win 10 2004 update? I can't auto login on this new wins install?

Man of Honour
But Edge was already there. I get it might be annoying if you're doing an inline upgrade and you already have another browser installed but just let it set edge up then change the default back. Then it's dealt with. There's plenty to criticise MS for but this is really nothing. They way that article is written though, you'd think it was the end of the world.

Can't you see the problem? people shouldn't be having to go through those kind of steps and it isn't like it is a one off even when it comes to Windows 10.

An OS fundamentally should enable the end user anything else is secondary MS are taking completely the wrong approach with how they deal with the end user and choices. When I boot up Windows 7 I get what I expected and can get straight onto the task at hand - with Windows 10 there are too many instances when that isn't the case for instance a few days ago (I'd recently done all latest updates and rebooted since) I wasn't feeling great and went to lie down on my sofa and fired up my media system to watch something and take my mind off how I was feeling... about 30 seconds after booting it suddenly popped up with the "Welcome to Windows" screen which I couldn't skip and had to go through a few choices at which point I could get back to the desktop but for the next ~10 minutes various OS components were busy in the background using around 70% CPU so my video was frequently stuttering and occasionally dropping to low bitrate before recovering again, etc. I never have that experience with my systems on Windows 7 ever - unfortunately the hardware for my media setup doesn't have drivers for anything older than 10 and Linux/Android isn't an option with some of its usage.

While probably stuff like that is a little less of an issue if you just use one machine that is in daily use it is a horrid, horrid OS if you run multiple systems some of them which might only be used every other week or so, etc.

Soldato
It took longer for you to write that post than it does to change your default browser back to whatever it was you were using before the upgrade. Yeah it would be better if you didn't have to. But come on.

about 30 seconds after booting it suddenly popped up with the "Welcome to Windows" screen which I couldn't skip and had to go through a few choices at which point I could get back to the desktop but for the next ~10 minutes various OS components were busy in the background using around 70% CPU so my video was frequently stuttering and occasionally dropping to low bitrate before recovering again, etc. I never have that experience with my systems on Windows 7 ever - unfortunately the hardware for my media setup doesn't have drivers for anything older than 10 and Linux/Android isn't an option with some of its usage.

Yep, all valid. But that's not anything to do with changing your default browser:)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
It took longer for you to write that post than it does to change your default browser back to whatever it was you were using before the upgrade. Yeah it would be better if you didn't have to. But come on.

I takes me no time at all to hammer out long posts :p I probably posted about a dozen others at the same time.

EDIT: If it was a one off thing I'd be more inclined towards your viewpoint but stuff like that happens just too **** often with Windows 10 and that becomes an annoyance (especially as I have around 6 systems with Windows 10 on so have to do it more than once).

Soldato
Why is windows 10 such a piece of crap. Only bit the bullet to get my free update when coverage of windows 7 was stopping. So far upgraded, got errors, fixed that through this forums help, had an update error a while back, got it fixed through here and now got another failed update 1909 files missing or some other crap. Run the trouble shooter and no error can be found. Complete load of crap.

Soldato
New windows 10 install and can't automatic login?

I go to Run and enter netplwiz and I don't see Uncheck Users in there? Was this changed in the new win 10 2004 update? I can't auto login on this new wins install?
I think they removed it, a little google shows away to get it back but didn’t work for me. I did a clean install on a laptop a few weeks ago now and can not get the auto login to work as the options now removed from the screen you mentioned.

Associate
Is there a consensus on version 2004?

I have a 2015 Dell latop running Windows 10 Pro, currently it working just fine. Should I delay for the maximum time and hope post 2004 are issued?

Soldato
I'm struggling to remotely update a netbook with a 32GB eMMC drive from 1511 to anything above.

Can't delete some C:\OSRSS folder which is ~3.3GB in size and C:\Recovery which is ~2.3GB - that space could be used to force the machine into upgrading. Whoever thought that 32GB would be enough for a Windows 10 installation should have their heads examined. :mad:

You and whoever thought that 32GB would not be enough for a Windows 10 installation should have their heads examined every 6 months. :eek::o

I has 2 devices which both used 32GB eMMC installed Windows 10 just fine when there are not enough space left, I just used my USB stick as external storage. Also I installed 1909 on my niece 2 in 1 Acer laptop with broken LCD screen she accident dropped last summer has 32GB eMMC, I worked on her laptop, removed screws to opened lid and managed to disconnected LCD cable and connected laptop to my HDTV and powered on forced it to use as external screen worked fine. Unfortunately I cant find new spare LCD screen on ebay so I found similar spec Acer 2 in 1 laptop with 500GB HDD and bought it then I replaced HDD with one of my 1TB SSD from old laptop and also upgraded from 2GB to 8GB RAM and tested installed games for a month until I handed the laptop over to my sister and wrapped as xmas present. She absolutely loved it. :)

I tested installed 1511 on VMware with HDD space shrank to 20GB proved Windows 10 1903 and 2004 can installed on less than 32GB just fine. :) It created 2 folders $Windows.~LS and $WINDOWS.~TMP to moved installation files, backup and Windows.old folder compressed as WIM to USB stick.

a779XIP.png

1z7p96i.png

wewFfJN.png

tTOxVck.png

3ZllT60.png

JZBDT4m.png

gH9tkVL.png

pvmIpwS.png

U8uJEAb.png

Back
Top Bottom