Cheque reversed after 6 months - quick to the internet!!!

Don
Just got this through the post:

Bxeb6GZ.jpg

The original cheque was the full settlement for a young lad that hit my car and randomly decided to take me to court, he lost, and this was my settlement figure.

Now his legal team presumably want the money back?! Any advice OcUK?

Soldato
Call your bank on the number provided on their website rather than the letter. If you have paperwork confirming the court's outcome then tell them on no account should any money be removed from your account as it isn't a mistake and you have the paperwork to confirm it.

Soldato
0800 30 20 11 is the correct number for Nationwide helpline, so no issues using that number.

I'd be calling the bank, but it sounds like the lad is trying to get the funds back via his bank? Silly if that is the case! Or maybe a genuine error? But you won't know until you call.

Failing the bank taking any action, there should be something on the court docs and dealing with failure to pay etc.

Don
OP
I spoke to NW and they said (as expected) nothing they can do till Monday when their cheque team (must be dead exciting) are back in the office, I have been sent a piccie of the cheque too, I remember paying it in because I can count on one finger the number of cheques I received last year :p

B2hUvtz.png

Sorry, I should have clarified, it's not a scam, it is however annoying, surely after 6+ months the law firm (Lyons Davidson solicitors) can't just reverse this payment?

Don
OP
Was this originally a decision taken by the court to award you the sum?

Trying to reclaim the cash now would appear to be in contempt of court if that's the case!

These were refunded costs IIRC, at the end of the letter (which of course I instantly binned :p ) it definitely said 'in full and final settelement'

Soldato
From memory (worked in a bank a long time ago) - This sounds like a "recall" cheque and not a mistake. But once the funds clear, the issuer can't do anything. (used to be like 6 years you could "recall" a cheque but that changed sometime ago)

The cheque and the amount credited to your account are the same value - so no mistake there. However it seems odd that the bank have contacted you directly as there "appears" to be no errors at their end.

Don
OP
That's absolutely ridiculous.
If this is even possible it's another reason cheques shouldn't exist

That was pretty much my take on things, what irks me further is I expect they will still take the money out of my account and I'll have to fight to get it back. Sadly as I'm a lazy so and so that will likely never happen.

Soldato
I'd like to know where the solicitors got there time machine from. Cheques in 2019?

I know science has a few wild theories, but to actually have a physically working time machine is quite something. I'd be making a thread on that rather than a recall of £162.50

Caporegime
That was pretty much my take on things, what irks me further is I expect they will still take the money out of my account and I'll have to fight to get it back. Sadly as I'm a lazy so and so that will likely never happen.

Yeah I know what you mean. I'm the same.

I didn't know this was even possible. I thought cleared meant cleared

Caporegime
Lol. Cheques.

America is still heavily reliant on them, every time we go to the States it never fails to amaze me how far behind they are in the finance world.

Associate
This is a solicitor's cheque from their account not the client, they don't go reversing payments. I'd be phoning them up and threating to speak with the Law Society if you didn't get anywhere

Back
Top Bottom