• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The AMD Driver Thread

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
I understand where you are both coming from as I certainly would prefer stable, bug-free drivers myself. However, you don't have to go back that many years where AMD would get hammered for not releasing a driver every 2 weeks to a month. So, in the end, you just cannot satisfy everyone. But on a personal level, I'm in the same boat as you. I would prefer a 100% stable driver. That said, I haven't had any issues with the last few so I'm golden.

If you look at the history, the beta drivers are for experimenting and getting fast fixes to buggy games. As mentioned, its not exactly rocket science to release a stable one every couple of months which is reliable enough to suit most setups. The certified ones these days dont seem to count for anything other than title.

Associate
Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 Beta with Graphics Hardware Scheduling Highlights.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-5-1-ghs-beta

Support For
  • Windows® May 2020 Update
    • AMD is excited to provide beta support for Microsoft’s Graphics Hardware Scheduling feature. By moving scheduling responsibilities from software into hardware, this feature has the potential to improve GPU responsiveness and to allow additional innovation in GPU workload management in the future. This feature is available on Radeon RX 5600 and Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.

Soldato
Fk off amd, i checked the requirements and my vega 56 passes them for hardware scheduling so why the heck can us vega users not have it!!! Theres no reason why it cant do it, it has the hardware and min requirements according to ms.

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/f9ztf8/wddm_27_provides_better_performance_for_intel/

Says no lower than shader model 6.3 and vega 56 is 6.4. Afaik thas the only requirement.

If there keeping it for rdna cards only thats bull.

Soldato
Fk off amd, i checked the requirements and my vega 56 passes them for hardware scheduling so why the heck can us vega users not have it!!! Theres no reason why it cant do it, it has the hardware and min requirements according to ms.

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/f9ztf8/wddm_27_provides_better_performance_for_intel/

Says no lower than shader model 6.3 and vega 56 is 6.4. Afaik thas the only requirement.

It will come, they release it when it's ready am sure of it. Navi being the new GPU in its right should get new features first.

Associate
Interested in seeing how this may interact with a lack of DirectX 11 multi-threaded optimisation in Radeon drivers, especially for higher-end GPUs and earlier released CPUs.

Caporegime
Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 Beta with Graphics Hardware Scheduling Highlights.

Support For
  • Windows® May 2020 Update
    • AMD is excited to provide beta support for Microsoft’s Graphics Hardware Scheduling feature. By moving scheduling responsibilities from software into hardware, this feature has the potential to improve GPU responsiveness and to allow additional innovation in GPU workload management in the future. This feature is available on Radeon RX 5600 and Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.

It has the same version number as the one on the main page, are they the same or not?

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-5-1

Associate
It has the same version number as the one on the main page, are they the same or not?

Not sure how they could be, Humbug.

The Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 installation package contains the following:
  • Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 Driver Version 20.10 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.1017.1011)

The Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 Beta installation package contains the following:
  • Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 Beta Driver Version 20.10.17.04 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.1017.4017)

Are you still celebrating Liverpool winning the Premier League?

Caporegime
Not sure how they could be, Humbug.

Package Contents
The Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 installation package contains the following:

• Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 Driver Version 20.10 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.1017.1011)

Package Contents
The Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 Beta installation package contains the following:

• Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 Beta Driver Version 20.10.17.04 (Windows Driver Store Version 27.20.1017.4017).

Are you still celebrating Liverpool winning the Premier League?

No interest in football..... thanks for the clarification. :) i'll give them a go....

Soldato
Gonna give it a go. 20.5.1 has been working well on my Vega 64 so fare but I don't really use any of the features like enhance sync, chill, and so on.

Chill is an excellent piece of software, I don't know why anyone would NOT use it? I have a 60Hz screen so I lock the chill options at 65-75 FPS. Means the Vega64 card doens't really have to break sweat and the freesync is just the icing on the cake for smooth as butter experience.

You can set it up for each game you play.

For example I don't need more than 30fps for footy manager so I set it up for 30fps, but I do need a minimum of 60fps (I actually use 65fps) for Grid, Defense grid etc so I've each game set up with their own Chill profile. It automatically activates when you load the game so nothing needs doing after you initially set up the profile in Chill once.

Last edited:
Soldato
Chill is an excellent piece of software, I don't know why anyone would NOT use it? I have a 60Hz screen so I lock the chill options at 65-75 FPS. Means the Vega64 card doens't really have to break sweat and the freesync is just the icing on the cake for smooth as butter experience.

You can set it up for each game you play.

For example I don't need more than 30fps for footy manager so I set it up for 30fps, but I do need a minimum of 60fps (I actually use 65fps) for Grid, Defense grid etc so I've each game set up with their own Chill profile. It automatically activates when you load the game so nothing needs doing after you initially set up the profile in Chill once.

I don't need chill because I'm using a 240hz display and Vega can't push that many frames unless it's something like Overwatch or CS. I would use it for games such as Civ 6 or similar but I don't play them at the moment.

Associate

It's a matter of testing. Current GPU's take priority, and it takes time to test that the functionality works well enough to release in a public beta driver. We've already seen this before with Radeon Image Sharpening - That was initially RX5700(XT) only, and was added to older cards in subsequent driver releases.

Really nothing worth getting mad about.

Soldato
anyone have any idea why in the name of **** the driver would randomly change the manual tuning settings i have loaded? doesn't seem to matter what driver version i use it keeps happening and to make it even more fun it changes to settings that cause the damn thing to crash - vega64 here.

Soldato
anyone have any idea why in the name of **** the driver would randomly change the manual tuning settings i have loaded? doesn't seem to matter what driver version i use it keeps happening and to make it even more fun it changes to settings that cause the damn thing to crash - vega64 here.

Don't have that issue with my vega 64.

Caporegime

I find it sticks if you don't go too far, I run 1150mv, - 5% power, and 58% fans that sticks, but if I set the volts lower by the next reboot it resets even if it never crashes

Back
Top Bottom