• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
I think if you spend the time and actually code around the limitation of the architecture, you do get more performance, just as you get more if a developer puts in the time and codes for Mantle/DX12/Vulkan with GCN. That doesn't happens often on PC (and to be honest, considering AMD's marketshare, no need to bother much), but on a consoles it can circumvent up to a point the bottlencks. :)
You can also see that in consoles titles where the devs put that extra effort.

Yes but the difference in performance between navi and vega is nothing to do with developer coding

Soldato
Yes but the difference in performance between navi and vega is nothing to do with developer coding

In its entirety perhaps/most likely not, but it can be mitigated up to some point, depending in each case - at least on consoles. As an example, I had boosts in performance to around 20% or a bit more due to dx12/vulkan/mantle vs dx11.

Plus, I'm guessing that (maybe using async compute to the fullest), you can plan the 3D graphics to run on the part of the GPU you know you can proper feed and keep it utilized by that, while the rest on compute you can use it for physics, AI or other simulations in the background.

https://gpuopen.com/archived/radeon-hd-4800-series-real-time-demos/

Even back to HD4xxx area AMD did more than graphics in its GPUs.

Last edited:
Associate
Iv already said that no mater what the price ill be getting a 30 series card, People on here are saying if its to much money they will get a PS5 instead, For me its all about the PCVR side as well as the PC modding community..So have ya PS5 Hope ya all enjoy it

Soldato
Iv already said that no mater what the price ill be getting a 30 series card, People on here are saying if its to much money they will get a PS5 instead, For me its all about the PCVR side as well as the PC modding community..So have ya PS5 Hope ya all enjoy it

What is special about the PC modding community these days? I am out of touch.

My memory are classic half life and quake mods and then Skyrim. Not much stands out to me now.

I imagine approved mods will be downloadable to console games at some point.

Associate

I think the wise move is to see what AMD offer up before paying any price for a 30 series card, but I take the point in case that if you are heavily invested in VR then getting every last gain in framerate performance is vital to your experience and that comes at a cost. btw you're in Necton are you? that's just down the road from me we're practically neighbours :D I've not made the jump to VR myself but am interested in doing so when the HMDs have moved on but then I've not tried one since the Rift.

Caporegime

As these cards get more expensive less people can afford them. As I said a couple of pages back they are getting expensive, we are already paying £350 for the lowest end mid range cards. Look at the cards below them, the GTX 1660's and RX 5500's, these are ~300 £ cards that are frankly not much good, they are 1080P cards that already struggle in some games even at that.
And these prices keep increasing. In a few months we will be able to get a gaming box with a 16 thread Ryzen CPU and an RTX 2080 Equivalent GPU in it for less than the price of an RTX 2080 alone. You're looking at £1200 to match that in a PC box.
The price of GPU's has gone completely out control, and RAM again, you need 32GB for 4 years longevity these days and that's £200.
These new consoles are looking very attractive.

Soldato
As these cards get more expensive less people can afford them. As I said a couple of pages back they are getting expensive, we are already paying £350 for the lowest end mid range cards. Look at the cards below them, the GTX 1660's and RX 5500's, these are ~300 £ cards that are frankly not much good, they are 1080P cards that already struggle in some games even at that.
And these prices keep increasing. In a few months we will be able to get a gaming box with a 16 thread Ryzen CPU and an RTX 2080 Equivalent GPU in it for less than the price of an RTX 2080 alone. You're looking at £1200 to match that in a PC box.
The price of GPU's has gone completely out control, and RAM again, you need 32GB for 4 years longevity these days and that's £200.
These new consoles are looking very attractive.

I believe all this nonsense started with the gtx 680, when it was supposed to be the full fat card but ended up being the cut down card but still priced at what would have been a full fat card.... Then came along the Titans...

As talked about many times over before, over the years the pricing has shifted upwards making each tier of card more expensive than it should be. A low tier card is now priced at mid tier and mid tier card is now priced at high tier etc etc etc...

It's just never gonna change

Associate
So if the 3070 is £6500 you'll still bite? Surely there comes a point where the price isn't justified otherwise Nvidia could make just one card for £500 Billion and you'd still buy it (assuming you really have got a lot more money than sense).;):D

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
Asus GeForce ROG STRIX 3080 Ti leaked ?

ASUS-GeForce-RTX-3080-Ti-ROG-STRIX-1000x593.jpg

https://videocardz.com/newz/asus-geforce-rtx-3080-ti-rog-strix-leaked

Last edited:
Soldato
I really want to wait for the reviews on these but am concerned about availability. Hopefully reviews will drop before pre-orders go live.

I’m aiming for 4k60 so it will probably be between the 3070 and 3080 (or AMD equivalent) as to which suits better.

Back
Top Bottom