Tell me about track days

Soldato
Don't spend any money on the car aside from the basics such as new brake pads etc.

Do spend money on getting tuition on your first couple of events.

I guarantee you'll enjoy it more if you've had a few laps with a professional talking you through it and helping you with lines and etiquette.

Soldato
Yeah a lot of good advise in here, i would say only do a couple of laps at a time in a standard road car to stop things overheating especially the brakes, avoid the initial rush right as the track opens first thing then after lunch.

If you get stuck in traffic, just come in and go through the pits, don't get frustrated being behind someone who won't move over. Conversely keep looking in your mirrors and move out of the way in a safe manor on the next straight if someone is clearly faster than you.

Also no matter how fast you think your car is on a track day you'll always be overtaken by someone in a tatty looking Clio going at warp speed, track days are no places for egos about your car but some people have a weird thing about not wanting to be overtaken by 'lesser' cars

Evening or half day sessions are really good especially to start with, i found i enjoyed half days more as it was enough for me. It's very tiring concentrating so hard when driving, it also keeps the costs down as you go through tanks of petrol like nothing and you should still have enough tread on your tyres to make it home. I know my local track (Anglesey) had a club you can join which ran members only evening sessions for 2 hours from 6-8 in the summer which were perfect for me, i could go straight after work and have some dinner in their cafe while listening to the briefing and have a couple of hours of fun. They were also only £20 a session when i started going which was an absolute bargain but i think they latterly went to £50 last i heard.

I never bothered with insurance but my car wasn't worth a fortune and it wasn't my only car so if i did prang it i could get it towed home and fix it on the drive. When you sign on to the track day you normally agree that its every man for himself, so if a pile up happens regardless of who's fault you're only liable for your own car. That is however very different on places like the Nurburgring where people can and do get charged a fortune for damage to the track itself and other cars, but i doubt that was going to be your first port of call anyway as its a very unique place.

You will have an absolute blast though, track days are awesome.

Soldato
Also no matter how fast you think your car is on a track day you'll always be overtaken by someone in a tatty looking Clio going at warp speed, track days are no places for egos about your car but some people have a weird thing about not wanting to be overtaken by 'lesser' cars

This is a good point too for the novice track day driver.

At my last track day it was a tatty Fiesta or something that apparently had a Puma Racing drive train and engine mods, it went far, far better than you'd ever expect.

Associate
Want2Race (used to be called Bookatrack) are a good company for trackdays but they are expensive. However, you tend to get fewer cars there and fewer idiots in my experience.

There can be some variation in price - noisy or unsilenced days (where basically there are few or no noise limits) are more expensive; the longer circuit at Brands Hatch as they only run the odd day a year on that part; and Silverstone tends to be the most expensive (£600 for the one I did there a few weeks ago).

Definitely get used to letting people past in a safe way as you'll never be the fastest car on track. Last Silverstone day I did had a few race teams doing passenger rides for people from their sponsors. Professional driver + race prepped Ferrari = unbeliveable speed! It's fine and safe however - keep your wits about you and there should be no issues. Have been doing track days on and off for years and never seen two cars come together.

Fastest car I've ever been overtaken on track with was an LMP2 Le Mans car. Mostly a blur!

Soldato
MSV do Novice days which I can recommend. Sessioned not open which personally I prefer and less likely to be in a field of track day weapons. I would say just do it, it's awesome fun but it does add up!

Associate
Also no matter how fast you think your car is on a track day you'll always be overtaken by someone in a tatty looking Clio going at warp speed, track days are no places for egos about your car but some people have a weird thing about not wanting to be overtaken by 'lesser' cars.

This, it's not a race, you'll be buzzing and nervous all at the same time. Just remember, take it easy, it's you vs the track, not you vs everyone else.

There can be some variation in price - noisy or unsilenced days (where basically there are few or no noise limits) are more expensive; the longer circuit at Brands Hatch as they only run the odd day a year on that part; and Silverstone tends to be the most expensive (£600 for the one I did there a few weeks ago).

Seems expensive, I paid £229 for Silverstone GP circuit in Feb.

I've never taken tutition but was told by pretty much everyone that it's worth while, although it's lucky dip on who you get.

Learn how to drive track on road tyres, they are more forgiving than anything racey.

Only other comments, buy your own helmet! And in fact it might be the only option now what with Covid.

Associate
Seems expensive, I paid £229 for Silverstone GP circuit in Feb.

Weekdays offseason will be much less expensive. I'm going back to Silverstone with Circuit Days in November for £299 on a Monday. This was a Sunday in summer with limited numbers - lots of space, but pretty expensive.

Good point on the helmet - all the companies I've seen aren't hiring them at the moment.

Last edited:
Soldato
This, it's not a race, you'll be buzzing and nervous all at the same time. Just remember, take it easy, it's you vs the track, not you vs everyone else.

You aren't even allowed to properly race people, they will send you off.

If you want to do that go karting :)

Soldato
When I started doing track days (around 8 years ago) I had zero clue about anything track/race related. I just booked a novice day that ran 20 minute sessions every hour, bought myself a cheap helmet and turned up on the day for the briefing with my ears open reay to listen and learn.

Make sure you book a 15 minute tuition session as early on in the day as they can really.

There's millions of things you can watch/read and it's very easy to get overwhelmed by it all. Just book a day, take it easy and have fun. You shuoldn't be killing tyres or brakes on your first outing as you'll be going so slow compared to what the car can really handle.

Associate
OP
Thank you all for your advice. Just so I understand this correctly...

- Serious wear will take place on my brakes and pads (not cheap to replace!)
Due new ones next month so at least they will be track ready.

- I will destroy my tyres or at least dramatically reduce their life even on one track day
They currently have plenty of tread and are the same as the Cayman come with as standard

- I will burn through lots of fuel and engine oil

- If my car overheats I may cause other damage
Its just had a major service

- My extended warrenty wont cover anything that breaks (assuming they find out)

- Im driving with no insurance?! Or need to but expensive one day insurance that has very limited cover

- Have to pay quite a bit for the track entry

- Need to buy a helmet and maybe gloves

It sounds like my track day experiance is going to cost £1000 +. Am I misunderstanding?!

Note: No ego here, not worried about 'winning'. I just want to enjoy my car in a safe legal way.

Sgarrista
Commissario
Been to tonnes of track days and never seen 2 cars crash into each other, not to say it never happens.

Last track day I saw a 5 car pileup, at silverstone of all places. :D

Advice very welcome!

Take out track day insurance for your car, the excess will be 5 grand or so but if some nobber wipes you out at least you arent paying out of your pocket.

Sgarrista
Commissario
It sounds like my track day experiance is going to cost £1000 +. Am I misunderstanding?!

Depends on the track.

But yes, 300 quid for a day at silverstone, an easy 100 quid on fuel, probably close to 200 if you are out often. 150 quid or so insurance.

Then consumables on top, so tyres, pads, oil, how much this costs depends how hard you are pushing.

Soldato
Thank you all for your advice. Just so I understand this correctly...

- Serious wear will take place on my brakes and pads (not cheap to replace!)
Due new ones next month so at least they will be track ready.

- I will destroy my tyres or at least dramatically reduce their life even on one track day
They currently have plenty of tread and are the same as the Cayman come with as standard

- I will burn through lots of fuel and engine oil

- If my car overheats I may cause other damage
Its just had a major service

- My extended warrenty wont cover anything that breaks (assuming they find out)

- Im driving with no insurance?! Or need to but expensive one day insurance that has very limited cover

- Have to pay quite a bit for the track entry

- Need to buy a helmet and maybe gloves

Note: No ego here, not worried about 'winning'. I just want to enjoy my car in a safe legal way.

This is why a lot of people run Clios and MX5s and the like.

You can be in a car that is better than you are (almost certainly as a novice) for a couple of grand and cheap parts thereafter.

You will limit the car until you've got some experience. Plus, driving something you don't care about at 10/10 of your ability is far more fun than giving it 8/10 because at the back of your mind you don't want to buckle a Porsche.

Soldato

It’s probably about that if you add up all the wear and tear on top of the obvious things, £800-1000 I’d say. Insurance varies a LOT, my Z4 was only £120 a day but the 4C came out at £400! Safe to say I found another policy.

Cheaper days do exist, and you don’t have to go absolutely ham and destroy your brakes.

Back
Top Bottom