LG 27GN950

Associate
Any news on a release date for this monitor. I am extremely interested in picking one up having watched CES 2020 preview videos.

This model interests me due to the excellent reviews the 850 has had, 4K, high refresh rate and 27” panel.

I know many will question the value of 4K but I’m tempted by the possibility of future proofing. I will be making a new build this fall and hopefully 4K 144hz will be achievable.

Failing info on any potential release are there any similar spec monitors that anyone here can recommend?

Soldato
Sorry to revive an old thread, but same question?
No new information of any high frame rate 4K monitors, including that one Asus paper announced soon year ago.

Someone should put crampons on and start kicking monitor and panel makers into rear to get them moving forward.
Having used 2560x1600 for six and half years 2560x1440 isn't really option as upgrade and neither I'm satisfied in sticking old school 60Hz.
Similar only sRGB/little over gamut is out of question with dozen+ years since last using such monitor.
Heck, my Dell U3014 basically does also new DCI-P3 gamut besides older wide gamut AdobeRGB.

Associate
The frustrating thing about this monitor is that with my current GTX 1080ti I can't run it above 120hz as I don't have DSC. And even then I can only run it at 120hz 8bit. Its seems odd they would release a monitor with display inputs that barely support its refresh rate... and DSC isn't that desirable. If they had released it with HDMI 2.1 or Displayport 2 (whenever that shows up) It would actually be a great value monitor.

Last edited:
Soldato
For the uninitiated, how come DSC isn't desirable? I'm ordering one of these immediately when it's in stock.
DSC is signal compression using lossy algorithm, even if it's designed to be only light compression and avoid visible degradation.

Though that's certainly better than older chroma subsampling, which easily just destroys finer graphics like text:
https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

Associate
Fair enough. Everything I am reading about it says "visually lossless" so I guess an analogy would be something like looking at a very high quality JPG instead of a BMP/RAW.

Soldato
I'd highly recommend viewing a 27" 4K panel, and comparing it to a 27" 1440P panel in person if you're able to. I found 27" is way too small to appreciate the details 4K offers. Your getting all the huge performance drawbacks from 4k, and hardly any of the image quality advantages.

Appreciate that some prefer a insanely high PPI count, just make sure you know what you're buying by seeing them in person if you can.

Soldato
I'd highly recommend viewing a 27" 4K panel, and comparing it to a 27" 1440P panel in person if you're able to. I found 27" is way too small to appreciate the details 4K offers. Your getting all the huge performance drawbacks from 4k, and hardly any of the image quality advantages.

That only really applies to desktop use..where you really do need to have it set to 125 or 150% scaling.

4K on a 27in when gaming is a different thing entirely and its sublime, having said that, 32in is the sweetspot for 4K in both uses, but 4K 32in panels are so few and far between and non existent with a spec list like this.

I have the 4K LG850UK 27in panel and I'm really tempted to step up to this 950 with the 144Hz and (official) Freesync Pro & certified G-Sync.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
4K on a 27in when gaming is a different thing entirely and its sublime

is it though? I mean, there's a fair amount of buyers bias with these sorts of things. To me, at normal viewing distances 4k vs 1440p on a 27" there wasn't a discernible difference in games. The only thing I noticed is that it taxed the GPU more trying to drive 4K resolution.

I've gamed on both the LG 27GL850 and LG 27UL650 within a space of a few months.

Soldato
is it though? I mean, there's a fair amount of buyers bias with these sorts of things. To me, at normal viewing distances 4k vs 1440p on a 27" there wasn't a discernible difference in games. The only thing I noticed is that it taxed the GPU more trying to drive 4K resolution.

I've gamed on both the LG 27GL850 and LG 27UL650 within a space of a few months.

And before settling on my 4K monitor I gamed on a 27in 1440p panel and to me the difference is night & day...

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
And before settling on my 4K monitor I gamed on a 27in 1440p panel and to me the difference is night & day...

In what way was it night and day? Higher resolution for me meant I could disable AA, but it wasn't like things in games looked different. Maybe a touch sharper, but try and appreciate that when you're running around with a gun shooting things.

Back
Top Bottom