• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Don't forget the A100 is tsmc 7nm where as the 3080ti is supposedly Samsung 8nm.

I think that's why the gaming cards cap out at 5300 cores but the HPC cards can go up to 8100 cores due to the process nodes. I know the A100 is only 6900 cores for now that it's not a full fat chip - the full fat one would come in at 8192cores to be exact, but as you know power draw and yields are not in their favour.

So due to lower transistor density the gaming cards have fewer cores but the cores are clocked way higher and games like the higher clocks anyway.

The A100 will be optimised for commercial workloads,whereas the GA102 won't be. Its most likely a GA102 would perform worse than the A100 in Octane. Likewise a A100 will most likely perform worse in gaming benchmarks than a GA102 would. So realistically speaking we can't say much about GA102 performance until we get more credible leaks.

Until RTX is enabled anyway - I don't think the A100 has RT cores so it can't accelerate optane but a 2080ti using RTX acceleration in Optane scores 900 points, double the A100. The A100 isn't really made for rendering either, it's design is for scientific workloads, one of the first customers to receive theirs is a University working on a coronavirus vaccine

Last edited:
Soldato
This power draw panic is amusing, especially when my impression is most on here haven't measured the amount of power their rig draws.

Everyone with a 600watt PSU will be fine for a top end card and CPU IMO.

Real question is do I preemptively sell my 2080S and get decent cash on it and buy ampere blind. If so when is best time, considering I have no back up GPU I'll have to use integrated!

Soldato
This power draw panic is amusing, especially when my impression is most on here haven't measured the amount of power their rig draws.

Real question is do I preemptively sell my 2080S and get decent cash on it and buy ampere blind. If so when is best time, considering I have no back up GPU I'll have to use integrated!

As long as they aren't both overclocked and both getting hit hard

Soldato
Sold my 2080 Ti for £599 plus a 2070S.

I get what you say about enjoying what you have, but if the performance figures for big navi and the 3 series are true, the second hand value of these cards is going to plummet.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats

The sell my RTX panic is amusing, especially when we most on here have not done their research.

Soldato
The sell my RTX panic is amusing, especially when we most on here have not done their research.
What research is there to do, beyond loads of conjectured based on extrapolating rumours? This year is deffo a big hype train, and the only preparation I think we need to do is get the lube ready for the pricing it's gonna bring if the cards are any good.

Soldato
Sold my 2080 Ti for £599 plus a 2070S.

I get what you say about enjoying what you have, but if the performance figures for big navi and the 3 series are true, the second hand value of these cards is going to plummet.

Buying flagship and selling 4-8 weeks before launch of the new generation is the most economical way to use a high-end GPU. These babies retain their value almost perfectly as long as the new generation isn't out yet!

Associate
Nope, don't listen to randoms on this forum without substantial evidence of their claims. Unless you're happy not to game or game with much lower performance for months on end.

Oh :D

Have a 2080 right now which is overkill for what I play now (mainly OverWatch at 1080p/144hz with a 4690k).

CPU runs at around 70%-80% usage, capped at 144fps.

Was thinking of selling my 2080, looking for a cheap GPU to play at 144hz and using that until the 3000 series comes out and analyse from there.

But I am also thinking of upgrading from 4690k to 4700x so that paired with a 2080 would be a decent combo for years to come.

A bit stuck as what to do to be honest!

Soldato
All it will do is push the price up on the 3080ti as their will be a higher demand as all the people who pre sold 2080tis try scrap for the limited launch stock of the 3080ti with the people who had originally planned to upgrade and had been sitting on older cards like 980/1080s etc the 200 quid you saved will then be paid out anyway when the new cards prices inflate due to higher demand.

Soldato
Hey WHERE are we hmm? Oh an enthusiast forum...

So if I want to stay near the top and do so with less loss why shouldn't I do that?
It's obvious my card will be worth less once the new cards are actually out.

It's my problem so don't worry about it, it's all about GAMING anyway nothing very serious.

And yes people still think their PC is drawing 800-900watts have no idea what it takes to get there. Or that these new cards are going to draw that much power.

Back
Top Bottom