Your Favourite MP3 Software

Soldato
With the ability to stream music from Pandora, Google, and Amazon (et. al.) and stream music videos from YouTube, I completely lost track of the library on my PC. Years ago, I ripped all my CDs and converted all my vinyl and cassettes -- which took a lot of time -- and have a wonderful old collection of MP3s on my PC. Yes, I still keep the originals in boxes for ownership reasons. :)

I have one 100-cassette rack under my desk because it's just a convenient place to keep it, usually out of the way of anything and well-hidden. Today, my 125 lb. Rottweiler puppy got a little rambunctious and knocked it over, leaving a pile of cassettes on my feet. In the process of putting them back in the rack, I was reminded of some old music and wondered if I still had it on my PC.

I plugged away at a few of the tracks using WMP and VLC, and began to wonder if there was any newer (free) software out there for playback.

I did a search on these forums but all the threads are really old now. So I'm looking for opinions on your current favourite MP3 playback software / library manager. Does anyone still use this media?

Soldato
A player that supports ASIO or direct sound drivers, is my main requirement;
so that you can deliver the bitstream directly to the soundcard or hdmi output, without going through the windows/android sound mixer and being re-sampled. at 48Khz

I mostly listen to tidal now, whose player does do that.

I believe foobar will do ASIO ?

Associate
foobar2000.

It handles just about all popular audio codec types (aac, flac, alac, mp3, ogg, opus, wav) as well as can open up audio from within a video container; it's highly configurable; great for library management and tagging; light-weight on resources; has multiple configurable built-in DSPs ; can be extended with community plug-ins; excellent audio file conversion; and likely others I'm missing. Essentially it can do just about anything you would want from an audio player, except looking like a modern app with curves and whatnot. It's very much a classic in terms of aesthetics.

Caporegime
I used to use Foobar2000 until I got fed up with the playlist files corrupting and going haywire. Used SongBird for a bit but then they stopped supporting it, now I use MusicBee.

Winamp is crappy old software, with a pretty website.

Back
Top Bottom