What is white privilege?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Caporegime
I agree too.

People like @danoliver1 comments are not helpful.

It's a bit like putting me in a race with somebody with a limp

I'm unfit, so i'm not necessarily going to be good at the race, but my opponent has a bigger disadvantage than me going in to it.

Soldato
It’s a form of racial prejudice. The belief that someone is privileged because of their skin colour is prejudice based on race.

It’s just a load of politicking. So that some people can claim to be against it so they can feel smug and a sense of righteousness for helping out “the poor minorities”. Or you can see that it’s racial prejudice and to get called racist by the racists.

Essentially it’s the perfect storm to create divisiveness and race based political systems like they have in america. And most people seem to fall for it hook line and sinker. Because they want to be seen as virtuous and puritanical, and don’t pay any attention to the consequences. You can see it in the actions. No actual substance to any of their actions, just stupid symbolism, and you can bet your bottom dollar they make sure that they get photographed doing it. It’s trite narcissistic virtue signalling. Not because they actually care about the issue, they just care that they appear to be ‘good’.

It seems the people behind these ideas seem to think that the way you fight sexism, racism and discrimination is to use sexism, racism and discrimination. MLK had it right. The only way you win is with love. And there’s none of that in any of the contemporary movements whatsoever. It is filled with anger, hate and bile.

Soldato
It’s a form of racial prejudice. The belief that someone is privileged because of their skin colour is prejudice based on race.

It’s just a load of politicking. So that some people can claim to be against it so they can feel smug and a sense of righteousness for helping out “the poor minorities”. Or you can see that it’s racial prejudice and to get called racist by the racists.

Essentially it’s the perfect storm to create divisiveness and race based political systems like they have in america. And most people seem to fall for it hook line and sinker. Because they want to be seen as virtuous and puritanical, and don’t pay any attention to the consequences. You can see it in the actions. No actual substance to any of their actions, just stupid symbolism, and you can bet your bottom dollar they make sure that they get photographed doing it. It’s trite narcissistic virtue signalling. Not because they actually care about the issue, they just care that they appear to be ‘good’.

It seems the people behind these ideas seem to think that the way you fight sexism, racism and discrimination is to use sexism, racism and discrimination. MLK had it right. The only way you win is with love. And there’s none of that in any of the contemporary movements whatsoever. It is filled with anger, hate and bile.
I mean it certainly could be a belief held based in prejudice, if it didn't exist. But if it did exist, then it wouldn't be prejudiced to recognise it, would it?

Soldato
There's so many things that people have no control over that makes life challenging. Does everything that negatively impacts you really happen because of skin colour? There's a perception that it does, where the reality may be different or not so black and white.

Caporegime
White privilege in the UK, no. Here we suffer with class privilege. Working class white people have no privilege...

It doesn't mean they are privileged it means they don't have problems other people do because of the colour of their skin. I don't understand how that's so difficult to grasp.

Soldato
I agree too.

People like @danoliver1 comments are not helpful.

It's a bit like putting me in a race with somebody with a limp

I'm unfit, so i'm not necessarily going to be good at the race, but my opponent has a bigger disadvantage than me going in to it.

This is a good analogy really.

If you put 100 people in a race, there would be a range of results based on natural talent, dedication and training

However, if you put a stone in the shoe of a minority of the runners, the chances of one of those people winning is lessened.

Caporegime
It either is privilege or it isn't? Otherwise why call it white privilege?

Why say "Raining cats and dogs" when it's just water?
Why do people say they are "over the moon" when they are happy?
Why is North Korea called the democratic republic of North Korea when there is nothing democratic about them?

I wouldn't get fixated on the word privilege, it doesn't mean all whites are successful and all BAME people aren't because of their skin.

Soldato
Douglas Murray has been interviewed a couple of times on the subject and my opinions fall in line with his for the most part:

Interesting 10 minute watch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom