• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Permabanned
Top motherboards for SLI these days are total rubbish.

I got a new Asus Rampage VI Extreme Encore the other day.

The PCI-E slots are 2, 3 or 5 slots apart.

NVidia only make 3 and 4 slot bridges.

This means that the only serious option for NVLink SLI is 3 slots gap which can get quite warm using air coolers on the cards.

Even if I could find a 5 slot bridge it would mean the bottom card covers the on and reset buttons etc on the mobo.

This screw up was brought to us by Asus ROG and NVidia lol.

Some flagships Mobos are sacrificing PCI-E slots for M2+Massive heatsinks to cool them, I wish M2 stayed on laptops and we got some sort of SATA revision as drives do not need be on the Mobo they can be tucked away saving space.

SATA Express was to be 12-16Gb/s (depending on how many PCI-E lanes the Mobo vendor wanted to give to up for it) so lets say on PCI-E 4.0 is could be 32Gb/s easy and PCI-E 5.0 64Gb/s then that would be up to speed with then M2 drives though it makes little difference to the OS drive.

Last edited:
Soldato
Nvidia released the best performing cards they had at the time and then refreshed them later when they had better and more refined cards to release. Anything else such as views on them being price/performance "failures" is pure subjectivity. Judging by the overall sales, they were not failures. Also, the Super cards were around 10-15% faster on average, which is perhaps not so significant as to make purchasers of the original cards feel 'too' hard done by. It would still of course be very annoying to some people, though.

The 2080 was slightly faster than the 1080ti for the same price. Same with the 2070 vs the 1080. At best it can be described bad.

Looking at the steam survey, many people agreed that they weren't great value for money. The 970 is higher on the chart than both the 2070 and 2070 super.

I disagree they didn't sell the best cards at the time they sold what they thought would be the most profitable card.

Soldato
The 2080 was slightly faster than the 1080ti for the same price. Same with the 2070 vs the 1080. At best it can be described bad.

Looking at the steam survey, many people agreed that they weren't great value for money. The 970 is higher on the chart than both the 2070 and 2070 super.

I disagree they didn't sell the best cards at the time they sold what they thought would be the most profitable card.
The super cards are what we should have got at release but even then it wouldn't have been an amazing uplift.

The 2080 even had less VRAM than the 1080ti so costs were saved there also.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
The super cards are what we should have got at release but even then it wouldn't have been an amazing uplift.

The 2080 even had less VRAM than the 1080ti so costs were saved there also.

Yeah lets not go blowing smoke when its a given the next gen should be in some capacity better otherwise there is no reason to upgrade at all.

Soldato
From videocardz:

Intel is launching discrete desktop gaming graphics cards in 2021 which support Full DX12.1 including hardware ray tracing.

One of the models features 512 EU units at 1.3ghz = 10.5tflops and a 150w TDP. Built on 10nm. It uses GDDR6x memory

nothing else is known about other models, but Intel is able to stack up to 2048 EU units on a single card with 600w TDP providing 42tflops of rasterisation - so in theory Intel could build some big cards but it's expected they won't try to stack MCM units so don't expect a 43tflop gaming card

Soldato
Yeah lets not go blowing smoke when its a given the next gen should be in some capacity better otherwise there is no reason to upgrade at all.

I'll be happy with a 10% performance decrease for a 20% price increase.

Nvidia are entitled to charge what they like

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
Associate
I'm not sure I want to pay more for a performance decrease, that seems back to front but I'm willing to pay 40% more for 8% more performance. It's the way things are going, there's no point standing in the way of progress. OR maybe 2080ti +50% for a 3080ti at £2499. There will be a huge number of transistors and a new process PLUS new architecture and they aren't going to pay for themselves.

Associate
Nvidia are entitled to charge what they like

Not without critism and people call them out on it.

Nvidia have behaved appallingly and its not ok as much as their marketing and PR dept. want to bury it and there some terrible accomplices in the tech world/media too failure to tell the full picture just means you're an extension of the PR dept

Soldato
If they pull another Turing, I'll sit and wait for AMD to make an offer. If Nvidia wants my money, they will have to do better than last time.

They are free to charge whatever they want....and I'm free to walk if they charge more than I think it's worth.

Soldato
[
Not without critism and people call them out on it.

Nvidia have behaved appallingly and its not ok as much as their marketing and PR dept. want to bury it and there some terrible accomplices in the tech world/media too failure to tell the full picture just means you're an extension of the PR dept

I’m a big critic of nvidia’s pricing...to the point that I didn’t upgrade my 1070.

I was being flippant.

Back
Top Bottom