• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Surely we don't know how much faster the 3000 series is over the previous gen. The presentation seemed to focus solely on raytracing. I'll be waiting for real gaming benchmarks.

The benchmarks will be utterly meaningless, if you just stay grounded and apply some logic. Think about it.

Will my 2070/2080 (add Super) be able to game at 1440p with acceptable FPS after this launch? yes, yes they will. Will the 2080Ti still be a top whack 4k card? I doubt it. That is why I haven't had a 4k monitor in years. Will these cards make games crawl on my 2080Ti at 1440p and smell like poo and get nits and get the pee ripped out of it at school? no. What do they add that I can't do now? nothing. Apart from render a lovely ray traced mess twice as fast. WOOHOO SO EXCITE.

Once again Jen is selling you what he has. Only this time he is dragging 8k into the picture too. You must have it though, right? you can't live without it though, right?

Please.

The best he had to offer was COD Cold War. The graphics didn't seem that much better, if any, than COD MW. I was very impressed by that. Even more so that my old 1080Ti threw it around at 120 FPS, and my 2070 with the RT on didn't do much worse.

He can not change reality. No matter how exciting he makes it sound. And I admit, he is very good at that but I have become very good at ignoring that and thinking "OK, so ignoring all of that what will this offer me? oh yeah ! nothing".

Soldato
Don’t think you understand how it works tbh. Doesn’t stream what you see, but merely the terrain data. It’s up to the GPU to draw it all.

Go and watch Jayz video of tidbits he found around the net. Which is all it really is. By switching off a couple of the realtime features and lowering down the terrain volume to a level you can't even see (as you are in the air for the most part) it did 60 FPS easy.

However, it isn't fair to take any game and judge a GPU solely on that game, is it? It never was and it never will be. There is always a much bigger picture than that.

Associate
Hi all! It may be too early to ask this question since they've only just revealed the cards, but I've gotten caught up in the excitement of the initial performance figures and surprisingly reasonable pricing so wanted to ask!

I've been thinking about upgrading my 1070 since getting a 4K projector, but I'm not quite ready to upgrade my whole system, which is centred around an i7 4770k and 16GB of DDR3. The system is still great for 1080p, but I'd love to make better use of the new projector and actually run newer games in 4K - Days Gone and Final Fantasy VII Remake on the PS4 Pro look really sharp on the projector compared with PC games that I've been stuck running at lower resolutions.

Obviously this CPU and RAM wouldn't be the best match for a 3080, but is there any reason to think that the imbalance would cause any actual problems as opposed to just holding back the full performance of the card? With 4K being the point, would the GPU mainly be the limiting factor anyway? I've looked at some reviews of a 4770k paired with a 2080ti and although of course it wasn't as good as a modern CPU combination, the performance looked like a great step up with no particular issues at 4K, so unless some aspect of the technology has changed to make it physically incompatible or the imbalance would introduce stuttering or something then hopefully a 3080 would be even better?

Upgrading the GPU seems like a much better first step to improve 4K performance than any other individual component, and I'd likely upgrade the rest of my system by some time next year to do it more justice.

I have a 750W 80+ Gold Corsair HX dating back to my original build in 2013 if that helps to know.

Soldato
It might even be the case that the 3080 is over powered for my 1440p monitor.

Speaking realistically? it is ! totally. Unless of course that monitor tends to be of the 240hz variety and you are young enough and have the eyes of a teenager. It is being deliberately pushed to 4k users, or simply to entice people onto 4k. Been there, seen that, done it.

Like I said, none of the guff that exited his pie hole makes my 2070, 2070 Super or 2080Ti any worse than they are now. I bought them all based on 1440p performance, and they are all ace. I even bought a new monitor. 32", curved, 144hz 1440p. Not three? months ago.

Soldato
What about all the SFF cases? I have the new Cooler Master NR200P with my 2080 FE card. it's a tight fit. These cards wouldn't fit in there. If I even thought of upgrading I would need to get a 2 slot AIB Card.

Think I'll just get a PS5 for now and wait until next year for the 3000 series super or what ever they call them?

Stu

Stu

Soldato
I'm surprised how many people are talking about possibly getting a 3090... that is a Titan level card... how many people really buy that?

Associate
Totally sold on the 3080. Sounds great and price even though it's a lot of money, comparative to the 2000 series looks really good.

Don't suppose there's a huge amount of value left in my 1070 now to put towards it.

Associate
Come on man... he was under NDA and even figured out a way to get around the "don't show the FPS" rule by showing percentage instead. The guy is credible and threw us a solid in the bet way he could. It's more info than anyone else has given and I appreciated it.

That's fair, and I am not having a go at DF, but I am always suspicious when a company wants someone to withhold information. I really hope the 70% to 90% @ 4k performance increase is true because... that's great! I somewhat panic bought a 2080S at the start of lockdown, and yet this could still be a great (and affordable) upgrade. However, to say it's 80% avg. performance increase now is to get ahead of ourselves.

Back
Top Bottom