• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
Agreed, just thought it would be useful to stick all the current pricing side by side.

What's the deal with ordering the FE direct, do you get a period of time to return it no quibbles?

No idea tbh. Legally you could return it if it's not used so could grab one and leave it untouched until all the reviews arrive then decide if you want to keep it. If it's used then you're on slightly more 'iffy' ground.

Associate
If I was to go with one this gen I would be looking at the nvidia FE cards.

Last gen Turing I was very impressed with cooling wise. They were built better than any AIB card and not much hotter or louder. And considering some of those cards were significantly more expensive.

The 10 series FE coolers were crap in my opinion. Hot and noisy. Turing was a massive improvement.

I bet the nvidia cooler this gen is even better than the last so it makes even more sense to stick with nvidia founders edition.
I'm just worried the FE cards will go out of stock before big navi launches so I'll be 'forced' to get an AIB 3080 or possibly AIB 3090 if they're still better than AMD's offering.

Soldato
Depends if you think raytracing is going to become a useful thing to have. If so then you could get a 3070, which (if we believe the figures) would be a performance boost of about 30% and give you decent RT performance. You don't even need to go to a 3080 to get it though, the 1080Ti should now be thoroughly outclassed by the 3070.

That said, I'd wait for real review figures, and for AMD to show their hand.

Cheers, I'll probably stick with the Ti as RT doesn't really interest me at the moment, will be looking to see what AMD have on offer as well but I think my next proper upgrade will be replacing my 4770k as it's getting a little bottlenecked in my audio production these days

Caporegime
3090 looking to be terrible value over the 3080, but some already knew that anyway considering it only looks to be a bit quicker

Terrible value for money but its does appear to be 20% quicker. That is not insignificant. Its as much of more than the gap was between the 2080 and 2080ti. Its only the price which is wrong with the 3090.

Now if they dropped 8gb from it and say called it a 3080ti and released it for £1000 then it will sell ;)

Associate
Im curious how come you want to upgrade from a 1080Ti; is it to have RTX and play at higher resolutions with better FPS?
Main reason is for VR use - I play DCS, IL2 and will look to get MFS2020 these games eat up resource like nothing else and the use a lot of Vram

Soldato
Around £350 ish, as long as there is supply of rtx 3070 and 3080, if they dry up, the 2080ti price will go up.... But given the choice of a brand new 3070 at £469 or a used RTX 2080ti at £469 which would you buy? Or would you need a price incentive to buy used?

I'd need a huge price incentive now as it's old tech and there seems to have been a big jump this gen and RTX appears to have matured a lot, it's not just been the usual marginal increase with a price hike attached, especially nothing like the entire Turing reaming.

Soldato
I don't care about waiting for AMD to show their hand.

1) I'm am NV fanboy and admit that, drivers are stable and unfortunately the only time I strayed to ATI the card was DOA.

2) I have a g-sync monitor

3) AMD aren't going to catch NV. Even if they do NV aren't going to lower prices by an amount I would deem as significant.

4) I need a GPU now and going into winter will enjoy it much more from the outset for longer.

5) there is room for the 3080Ti sure, but only in so far as VRAM upgrade, as has been noted the 3090 is likely 10-15% faster than the 3080 tops. So even if you split the difference the 3080Ti may only be 7.5-10% faster than the 3080, possibly for a grand if the 3080 price remains static and doesn't come down like it did with GTX 1080 Vs 1080Ti.

The 3090 is more than 10% faster more like 30 to 40

Associate
Caporegime
Yeh, i think realistically, the 3070 is going to trade blows with the 2080ti without RTX and beat it soundly with RTX on. The RTX performance is likely how they can say it is "faster" overall.

Not sure how you can say that when the chart with the average of all games tested, half with RTX and DLSS switch on showed the 2070 "just" beats out the 2080ti.

From that I take it that 3070 will be slower than the 2080ti in every game without RTX and beats it when switched on.

Soldato
Would love to know what money tree you have in your garden. Any TI version is going to be at least 300-400 more.
Big difference in price here for most people who would already be pondering if a 3080 is 'really' worth it over just getting a 3070.

Why do you need a money tree? if you already have the money for a 3080, I'm sure most people could save the extra £££'s needed to get the 3080Ti in 6-9mths time.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
EVGA have an RTX 3080 Hybrid !!

Yeah boi, plz get some in Gibbo.

Hold on, was it not just 24-48 hours ago you said you was not upgrading this time?

Got to love Nvidia's marketing, it just works :p:D

I will water cool it and clock the nuts off it :D

Still better then anything amd have ;)

I tip my hat off to Nvidia's marketing. They near enough made you double your budget in a metter of hours. It just works :p:D;)

One at £500 now :)
Too much. Got to be mad to buy it at that price imo. But each to their own.

They gotta sell asap man, they won't even get 450 once the 3070 is out!!

Indeed :p

"selling fast" "flying out the door" "not enough stock" "trying our best" "great price"

Sounds like Gibbo's words. Guaranteed he will be using them soon :D

Here is a summary of all the 3080 AIBs currently shown on OCUK, alongside the FE.

zwBjUm1.png

Yeah, poor pricing, not one is cheaper than founder edition which also comes with a game.

No he didn't, say it was over priced. That's BS he would never say that. He said Turing was very expensive. And it was. What part of that does not line up with what I said? "Yeah sorry every one it was over priced and I totally ripped you off". No dude. Twist the words all you like.

There are lots of reasons why Turing was expensive. I gave a few. Others could be - the failure with Samsung (IE that all went into the costs) the cost of TSMC (as I pointed out) and so on. However, nowhere did he say they were over priced he just said they were expensive. And like I said, they were. To make and to buy.

As for Ampere prices being lower than every one thought? (and believe me it was every one, not just me) that is because they are on Samsung. They also have the same SM units as Turing, but two CUDA cores per SM instead of one. NO ONE knew that. Even so they still perform as predicted.

I will chat to you about something all day, but the minute you start twisting things and telling porkies it's over.
Lol. Feel free to strawman, you lost simples.

Oh and it was not lower than I thought, maybe you need a pair of glasses but I said it would be this price and stated exactly the reason.

Yea, no problem if it's over, I am sure you won't reply to this. Oh but we all know you will ;)

smr

smr

Soldato
Terrible value for money but its does appear to be 20% quicker. That is not insignificant. Its as much of more than the gap was between the 2080 and 2080ti. Its only the price which is wrong with the 3090.

Now if they dropped 8gb from it and say called it a 3080ti and released it for £1000 then it will sell ;)

I can't see a £1k graphics card selling like hot cakes on a cold day though.

Back
Top Bottom