• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Caporegime
I think the founders edition currently looks the best, the AIB look outdated and retro... The GPU has evolved but the AIB coolers look the same as last years.
Have to agree. I can't believe that nVidia's RMA is worse than some of the horror stories you hear about the AIB vendors (ASUS etc, which ironically is the most expensive..)

And as for looks, well that's not really my concern, but none of the AIB cards look like anything other than great chunks of plastic with some fans. Unsurprising, as that's what they are on top :p

At least the FE has some style to it. Some design aesthetic.

But at least with he FE you're saving £100 !!

Caporegime
What, 1gb less?

I say wait and see what the reviews say about RTX IO. If it works then you should be fine, if not just wait a little and they will have a 20gb version out.

RTX IO is a feature to come next year so you will have a long wait to find out if it works as advertised or to find out you really need pcie-4 to get ti work properly.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Yeah of course you did ;)

Just like you knew how there are the same amount of SM only two CUDA cores per SM etc. Course you did mate, course you did ;)
Not my problem you don't know how to use the search feature.

Ohg and more strawman from you, when did I ever say "I knew how there are the same amount of SM only two CUDA cores per SM"? You talk about twisting words and do it yourself. Funny man. Can't stand losing, resorts to strawmaning and using tactics he hates. Lol

TrM

TrM

Associate
I was quite surprised by there announcement with these cards and I’m really hoping they have a good supply of the 3070 when it releases in October. But I really was expecting. A price hike this generation like last one

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Maybe if you get a 3090 we can ask for a discount :)
Nah, I have zero interest in that card. 15-20% extra performance for way more than double the price? Lol!

RTX IO is a feature to come next year so you will have a long wait to find out if it works as advertised or to find out you really need pcie-4 to get ti work properly.
Is it? Damn, thought it would be on release. Could well turn out to be a load of rubbish or a feature that does not shine until the 4000 series, kind of like RTX in the 2000 series :p:D

Soldato
I'm so confused in what to do. I really want the 3080 but as others have said it's sort of a "downgrade" in VRAM from the 1080 Ti. So I'm thinking to hold off for a potential 3080 Ti. But there's no guarantee? :/

One thing I've noticed with my Titan Xp (12GB) is games that tend to give that kind of information in their graphics settings don't seem to remotely use more than around half the total value, so I'm always left wondering if 12GB was overkill..

I'm quite tempted by the 3080 as the price is great IMO, a nice performance bump (65-80% over the 2080 which in turn was around parity with a 1080ti) and I'm not worried about the 10GB so much unless people can point out demonstrably where that is a true bottleneck..

Remember that you'd be able to 'upgrade' to the 3080ti quite readily because I imagine the second hand market for the 3080 will be quite vibrant.

Caporegime
Seeing TPU showing a 20GB 3080Ti, if I do get one, that would be it and having owned my first Zotac card ever (2080Ti AMP), the 5 year warranty and how cool and quiet it runs will make me go that way.

Last edited:
Soldato
Might max it out but does it actually need to. :p

From what I've seen Vram gets allocated and looks full but isn't actually being used, WZ being a good example, it's hard to tell what your actually using.

I'm so confused in what to do. I really want the 3080 but as others have said it's sort of a "downgrade" in VRAM from the 1080 Ti. So I'm thinking to hold off for a potential 3080 Ti. But there's no guarantee? :/

Nothing mentioned but then it never is, they want people to buy the 3080, I think there will be one but not till June next year which seems to be the "Ti" season. I've got nearly a years of games to play within this time so worth having the extra power of the 3080 now imo.

will a 850w psu be ok to power a 3090 rtx, 2 nvme drives, 4x 2.5 ssd, 3.5 hecanical drive, 128gb ram, 3960x threadripper cpu

I'd like to know this as well.

Soldato
Hold on, was it not just 24-48 hours ago you said you was not upgrading this time?

Got to love Nvidia's marketing, it just works :p:D

No I said I'm buying the RTX 3080 before the reveal lol. Maybe your confusing with someone else.

Yeah my limit was £800 and 2080 Ti beating performance, Nvidia excelled my expectation.

I also wanted a decent 3070 at £500 (Not to buy) but for me to hate Nvidia lil less and again they delivered.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
No I said I'm buying the RTX 3080 before the reveal lol. Maybe your confusing with someone else.

Yeah my limit was £800 and 2080 Ti beating performance, Nvidia excelled my expectation.

I also wanted a decent 3070 at £500 (Not to buy) but for me to hate Nvidia lil less and again they delivered.
Ah I see, my bad :D

Associate
FS2020 maxes out 11gb?

I'm building a Computer for FS2020 and am thinking of buying the 3080 as I can't really justify spending £1,500 on a graphics card. I have other expensive hobbies!

Which settings are you maxing out 11gb with? Ultra?

Ultra 5120x1440 with increased lod in the *.ini file
Only maxes out my 2080ti in city take off or low level, once cruising at alitude will drop to 8gb or so
Always buy the best card you can afford I always say

Back
Top Bottom