• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Soldato
All I can say is that there's going to be a lot of early adopter 3080 buyers remorse going around in 6-9mths time when Nvidia release the 3080Ti with 20GB of VRAM...:p

Getting older really does teach you the value of 'Patience is a virtue'.

And then the people who buy those will be crying when the 4080 at twice the speed gets launched 6-9 months later! :p

And so the circle continues.

Associate
Most people would buy a car and then use it. Cars are not investments, unless they are collectable. You buy them to use in daily life.

Same goes for GPUs. Or CPUs. Or any phone or pretty much anything in this incredible material life we live. None hold their value. You need to accept that when you buy things and get the full use out of them is all. Not panic, sell at a huge loss and then spend more. Well, unless you desperately need it and I don't think that applies to many here if at all.
Nobody has suggested that depreciation isn’t normal.
You just seem to be rambling now.
Cars are a terrible comparison for a number of reasons:
The latest models don’t offer dramatic performance increases over the previous ones.
You invariably pay more for more performance and more in general for the latest generation.
There is a very limited number of dealers who control supply.
It’s just not comparable.

Soldato
Soldato
I was quite surprised by there announcement with these cards and I’m really hoping they have a good supply of the 3070 when it releases in October. But I really was expecting. A price hike this generation like last one

all comments like this do is add another name to the list of people who will still probably buy if OC decide to add a few extra quid on.

just keep thoughts like this to yourself, you can only lose by sharing them.

smr

smr

Soldato
Ultra 5120x1440 with increased lod in the *.ini file
Only maxes out my 2080ti in city take off or low level, once cruising at alitude will drop to 8gb or so
Always buy the best card you can afford I always say

Yeah I'd love a 3090, but I've got to replace everything, monitor included, for a £2k-3k budget. I might have to actually pre-order the 3080 and wait a couple of months for Zen3.

The only thing I'll be keeping are my SSDs/HDDs and although I have a ridiculously massive computer case in the Corsair Obsidian 800D I'll be selling that to buy another as I just fancy having a new one.

Soldato
Because people keep saying wait for AMD, wait for AMD. I thought I would show the reason I dont want to wait for AMD.

1. Sorry but I just don't think they can compete at the high end. Boy who cried wolf and all that. They have had nearly a decade to prove me wrong. I am still waiting...
2. Ampere prices are good. even if AMD DO compete. I don't think it will change prices across the board very much at all. AMD would come in just slightly under for same Perf and Nvidia would sit tight.
3. I have a Gsync display.

Your third number trumps nearly everything for me.

For example, I'm running Control with reduced settings, but still looks great, on an UW 3440x1440 panel, with a 1070.

Sure, it drops down to 40ish fps from a locked 60, but I never notice it, Gysnc keeps it nice and smooth, stutter free.

Ain't giving that tech up, sorry AMD.

Soldato
If you are keen enough on the website when they go live, have an account signed up with payment details etc ready. you will get one when they go live on launch day.

Can't see anywhere to pre-enter payment details.

hecanical

I like this word! :D

RTX IO is a feature to come next year so you will have a long wait to find out if it works as advertised or to find out you really need pcie-4 to get ti work properly.

Wonder if they're deliberately holding it back until Rocket Lake launches? ;)

It's just the standard 1710Mhz though.

Associate
lol all the "30X0Ti" talk is hilarious. If you guys can stir up the discussion on the Ti's a bit more, it will help reduce the queue for the FE's :D cheers! ;). For me, the only metric that matters is that the 3080 will have a small margin lead over the 2080Ti in performance for nearly a third of the price. There's no need to hold out for any other card variants if you are more than a generation behind.

Soldato
Your third number trumps nearly everything for me.

For example, I'm running Control with reduced settings, but still looks great, on an UW 3440x1440 panel, with a 1070.

Sure, it drops down to 40ish fps from a locked 60, but I never notice it, Gysnc keeps it nice and smooth, stutter free.

Ain't giving that tech up, sorry AMD.

100% this. What amazed me most about G-Sync isn't the high refresh rates but rather how it still looks and feels smooth even when frame rates drop and fluctuate.

Back
Top Bottom