• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
Well thats my new case ordered to fit the 3090! I went for the lian li 011 dynamic pcmr version. Should give me a lot more choices when i decide to change from my aio to full watercooling too.

Hopefully my power supply will be up to the job, 850w seasonic prime ultra gold.
Rest of the system is threadripper 2950x, gigabyte aorus xtreme, 32gb corsair 3200 ram, 2 nvme drives, 2 ssd drives & 2 spinning rust drives, asus essence st sound card, 6 x 120mm fans, ekwb phoenix 360 aio.

I think i'm going to get the FE version as it looks much better to all the AIB cards with the horrible looking coolers.

Associate
I have a new case for better airflow, new 750W PSU, o/c 9700k running very nicely at 5.1ghz all cores and 32gb 3600mhz ram. Patiently waiting on the new 3080 series, but I am starting to develop a complex. :D

https://ibb.co/xGqNcbx

I am liking the idea of a Gigabyte Eagle to go with my Aorus Z390 mobo. Plus I know it is 0db fans when not under load and an additional hdmi.

Associate
Well thats my new case ordered to fit the 3090! I went for the lian li 011 dynamic pcmr version. Should give me a lot more choices when i decide to change from my aio to full watercooling too.

Hopefully my power supply will be up to the job, 850w seasonic prime ultra gold.
Rest of the system is threadripper 2950x, gigabyte aorus xtreme, 32gb corsair 3200 ram, 2 nvme drives, 2 ssd drives & 2 spinning rust drives, asus essence st sound card, 6 x 120mm fans, ekwb phoenix 360 aio.

I think i'm going to get the FE version as it looks much better to all the AIB cards with the horrible looking coolers.

I thinking of getting the same case, which fans did you get?
Those Corsair ML ones are a bit rich for my taste!

Associate
I thinking of getting the same case, which fans did you get?
Those Corsair ML ones are a bit rich for my taste!
I already have 3 noctua ippc 2000rpm fans on my aio rad. I ordered 3 more for the bottom of the case. I also wanted the ML 120 corsairs but thought the same as you! I'm sure once i do a full water loop i'll end up changing them out for RGB fans. I like the distro plates available for the 011!

Associate
Yes but if you are using a HDMI 2.0 TV, you can get 4k 60 using a DP 1.4 > HDMI cable?

HDMI 2.0 supports 4k60 anyway (maybe 2.0a or 2.0b is required, I'm not sure)

I don't think you can get a displayport 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter. I looked for one because I really wanted it for my 2080ti but they didn't seem to exist (there was talk of one in future but a few months back it still didn't exist).

It's a shame because I'd probably have kept my very good 2080ti if I could have gotten 4k120 into the TV.

Caporegime
HDMI 2.0 supports 4k60 anyway (maybe 2.0a or 2.0b is required, I'm not sure)

I don't think you can get a displayport 1.4 to HDMI 2.1 adapter. I looked for one because I really wanted it for my 2080ti but they didn't seem to exist (there was talk of one in future but a few months back it still didn't exist).

It's a shame because I'd probably have kept my very good 2080ti if I could have gotten 4k120 into the TV.

Isnt there already the Club adaptor? Its £40 but seems to work.

https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...-displayport-to-hdmi-4k-120hz-adapter.268589/

Soldato
hmm so the 3070 is smaller than my 1080... good!! unfortuantely not convinced my PSU (be quiet! Straight Power 10 600W '80 Plus Gold' to be precise) is up to the job. Anyone able to offer any advice?

Associate
Was it? Its seemed that it really came down to cooling and a silicon lottery as to what maximum boost you got? I saw FE cards which higher overclocks than the top of range Asus and HOF cards with super duper power chokes and multi 8 pin sockets. Extra power connectors certainly didnt gaurantee any extra performance from the 2080ti.

My 2080ti are just the el cheapo standard cards, one of the cheapest you could buy - Inno3d but run at 2100 boost and still hold the top spot on the ocuk forums firestrike https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/33351220?

If its one thing that the 2080ti taught me is that custom expensive AIB baords were a total waste of time (unless they offered other reasons than performance for having one)

I think it was only cards like the KIngpin with cherry picked gpus which delivered the goods but so it should since it cost a kidney (£1750 versus the £1175 the Inno3d cost each)

Yeah, good point. Not sure if the reality is there are significant differences. I understand that FE chips were supposed to be higher quality, but thought power phases of cards like the galax series were better. My aorus WB extreme sits at 2100 (sometimes more) but the reasons given for not boosting further are always ‘limited by power’ so wondered if that would be significant going forward. Maybe not, or maybe a bios flash would be an option but wondering if it’s a factor in deciding which card is the best choice.

Associate
Apologies if this has already been answered...

does anyone know of the EVGA 3080 is based on a reference PCB? I know the FTW has not emerged yet (or has it?) so I’m interested in the EVGA card that is currently listed here on OCUK.

Soldato
hmm so the 3070 is smaller than my 1080... good!! unfortuantely not convinced my PSU (be quiet! Straight Power 10 600W '80 Plus Gold' to be precise) is up to the job. Anyone able to offer any advice?

I’m probably going to try running one on a 450w so you’ll be fine.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
It'll be fine.

this-is-fine.0.jpg

j/k before triggered

Soldato
Pretty sure they still wont ship to Ireland. Sorry :)

They happily sold me a Titan V, but the ****** won't sell anything but Quadros now!

You need a good friend in the u.k that can get it shipped to them and then forward it on to you!

Might just have to use a Parcel Forwading company. I have to do that with Amazon a lot. Just gotta pay for that extra insurance incase it gets kicked about.

Just checked, they'll ship the RTX Titan.
Fingers crossed the 3090 is included, since it supports Studio Drivers also.

KFv54Um.png

Back
Top Bottom