• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Permabanned
FE's will stay near same price (Titan Xp eventually fell from £1200 to £850ish when StarWar versions arrived), they go out of stock fast but come back in stock.

Man of Honour
LOL what did you expect, Nvidia to tell you flat out what they're doing? We can gleam info only from second-hand sources who then earn a reputation through their accuracy (or lack thereof).

Makes sense except for the simple fact that Nvidia could have always done that and still they don't yet take over the AIB's business. Why is that?

NVidia still need the AIB business as not everyone wants the FE and also the more outlets for their products the more that will get sold.

Caporegime
NVidia still need the AIB business as not everyone wants the FE and also the more outlets for their products the more that will get sold.
For Nvidia to sell all of their FE cards in the quantities needed to satisfy the market, worldwide, would be almost impossible. AIB's take away the donkey work while still allowing the cash to roll in.

Man of Honour
Nah - 90% of the founders edition cards are assembled by Foxconn who literally do have the facilities to ramp up to world wide production levels if needed.

They literally have small city scale plants for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longhua_Science_and_Technology_Park

(They already make much of the stuff that is put together by the AIBs anyhow).

EDIT: I'm not even sure why they continue with AIBs at this point - but I suspect it reduces the amount of up front cost and risk involved in that scale.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Nah - 90% of the founders edition cards are assembled by Foxconn who literally do have the facilities to ramp up to world wide production levels if needed.

They literally have small city scale plants for instance https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Longhua_Science_and_Technology_Park

(They already make much of the stuff that is put together by the AIBs anyhow).

I don't think you understand all of the logistics involved in a task of that scale, including all of the many things that come after manufacturing.

Man of Honour
I don't think you understand all of the logistics involved in a task of that scale, including all of the many things that come after manufacturing.

No? it is literally my job but humour me.

EDIT: Plenty of companies similar to nVidia manage it with things like mobile devices, etc.

Man of Honour
Much better working capital management
Reduced customer support & logistics overheads

Capital management is the big one but still tech companies are mostly moving away from that model - using management companies like Fujitsu, etc. keeping more direct control over their products which is much more an nVidia thing.

EDIT: Really I was talking about the impossibility side anyhow - got a bit distracted there - if nVidia really wanted to do it they have the capabilities it isn't because the scale of it is too big for nVidia - they aren't literally making these cards themselves - their production, logistics, sales. etc. are handled by other companies such as Foxconn and Digital River, etc. who can scale up as needed.

Last edited:
Associate
Capital management is the big one but still tech companies are mostly moving away from that model - using management companies like Fujitsu, etc. keeping more direct control over their products which is much more an nVidia thing.

EDIT: Really I was talking about the impossibility side anyhow - got a bit distracted there - if nVidia really wanted to do it they have the capabilities it isn't because the scale of it is too big for nVidia - they aren't literally making these cards themselves - their production, logistics, sales. etc. are handled by other companies such as Foxconn and Digital River, etc. who can scale up as needed.

I hope that never happens.
We don't need another Apple.

Associate
Nvidia can't control the market like Apple... Nvidia after all is just a component supplier..

I think the current approach is optimal.. but probably someone's got to look at SEC filings..build out both scenarios and check the impact on cash flows..you'd probably also need some time with Nvidia's management because American companies generally don't publish operating metrics...

I am more leaning towards a model where I would rather license the IP than take ownership of chips, QC is the only thing stopping me

Man of Honour
Nvidia can't control the market like Apple... Nvidia after all is just a component supplier..

I think the current approach is optimal.. but probably someone's got to look at SEC filings..build out both scenarios and check the impact on cash flows..you'd probably also need some time with Nvidia's management because American companies generally don't publish operating metrics...

I am more leaning towards a model where I would rather license the IP than take ownership of chips, QC is the only thing stopping me

I got a bit side-tracked really - it isn't impossible or near impossible for nVidia with the finances they have and the scale of the companies that can provide services for them to scale up to world wide demand and in fact some companies - not just ones the size of Apple do that - it might not be the best or preferable way to operate but that is another matter.

Also many of their non-GPU products like the Shield devices are handled like this.

Last edited:
Associate
nVidia seem quite intent in many ways in following Apple hence some of what I said :s

The AIB’s are a doing a crapton of marketing and building mindshare.

let’s say nvidia dumps them and amd become competitive. Now you got 1 vs many. I’m sure they want the Apple model but not sure if the industry is built for it.

Back
Top Bottom