• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
Oh hey, what have we here..

WDLPCSpecs_RTX-v9_Blue-960.jpg
I am willing to be it will work just fine on a 3080. I am sure Nvidia will be having a chat with them to make sure it does :p

Associate
Couple of years on 1080P/1440P sounds very boring to me. You'd be better off with one of the new consoles, at least they are 4k.

10GB VRAM is not enough for 4K, even today.

Even these cards won't do 4K fully in most current games, and the memory is adequate for the next 18 months. 10GB on the 3080 is just NV wanting us to refresh in 18 months, they haven't kept prices down, they have just reduced the memory on the cards, they are up to their old tricks as usuall. The Consoles are the best Bang for Buck, not these cards.

Associate
Oh yeah definitely.

Because Nvidia will bring out 3070 and 3080 ti versions with more Vram. They've set the cards up ready for in-between cards once again.

Would have been nice if they'd have given even 11 GB Vram.

Annoying eh

NV are just playing us again. But then again, the Miners might just snap up most of the cards. Its gonna be damm interesting to watch.

Soldato
Come on. They are clearly just stating 11GB because that's what the 2080ti has. Your also notice as the resolution goes up so does the CPU requirements indicating you need a hell of a lot more compute as the resolution scales. Hence the 2080ti hence the 11GB of vram.

I guarantee you at the same settings the 3080 will perform better than the 2080ti in this game. ;)

Even more this proves absolutely nothing. A while ago the argument was that the consoles have 16GB of vram (which they don't) and thusly any new next gen GPU also needs 16GB of vram. Well then where does that leave the 2080ti with only 11GB? :o

Clearly enough for 4k in Watch Dogs Legion.

So in reality you've actually disproven your own arguments.

Caporegime
The wind-up is paying £650 for a card with 2/5 the VRAM of the top-end card :p

And then paying again a little later to get the higher VRAM variant :p

Soldato
Watch Dogs legion reccomends 11gb+ VRAM for 4k Ray Tracing - poor RTX3080, already out dated and beaten by the RTX2080ti as predicted.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
The wind-up is paying £650 for a card with 2/5 the VRAM of the top-end card :p

And then paying again a little later to get the higher VRAM variant :p
Yea, we know that already, unfortunately it is what it is, people vote with their wallets and this has what it has become.

Let’s see what AMD bring to the table and how much they want to charge for it.

All I know is if I do end up on a 3080, the 10gb won’t be holding me back and by the time it does I will have upgraded anyway. I do think nextgen 5nm cards will end up being a bigger leap.

Watch Dogs legion reccomends 11gb+ VRAM for 4k Ray Tracing - poor RTX3080, already out dated and beaten by the RTX2080ti as predicted.
Lol, you keep pushing the same rubbish. How many times you gonna get stuff wrong before giving up Grim? :p

Soldato
And clearly the Radeon 7 with it's 16GB of vram is clearly a chart topper.

Raw compute is more important than vram.

The 3080 will demolish the 2080ti in this game. And the Radeon 7 with it's 16GB.

Caporegime
Exactly. But you know what it’s like. It’s all about the narrative one wants to push :p
Don't forget, if the 3080 does end up gimped in any game (due to lack of VRAM), you can always rush out and buy a 3090 ;)

So nVidia has a solution for this problem of their own making :p

Soldato
Dont hate the player hate the game, it's not me who published systems requirements saying you need 11gb vram

It doesn't say you need 11GB. It's saying you need a 2080ti or more at 4k with RT on. It's not the 11GB that's crucial here but the compute the 2080ti is packing.

Remember a 2080ti is now the same level as a 3070 which is an under £500 GPU. So this sort of power will be in a lot more gamers hands very soon.

As I pointed out if vram was the bottleneck here we would see the Radeon 7 as the top dog gaming GPU. Which it just isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom