• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

10GB vram enough for the 3080? Discuss..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Give it 6 months and that 10GB will be on its ass in nexgen console ports. You want future proof, 10 GB ain't it.

I thought as much as well, but Nvidia will send out legal documents to any game developer brave enough to do so. None will have to balls to make 3080 10GB stutter at 4K.

Soldato
Sure thing pal. :D

So old games that pre date next gen consoles.

Which is a false equilevant.
And can someone tell me who these experts are? Because nvidia has 0 say in how a console next gen console game is developed and ported over too pc.

Experts at what???
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/forums/posts/33918650

In other words we knew that the 3080 was made for exisiting games. That was never a question. However, as for these next gen games, some of which will be ported to PC in the near future, will paint a different picture. And 10GB will hAmper things a bit with open world, sandboxed games using raytracing, streaming assets, etc.

Therefore, the goalpost was planted a long time ago. You just never scored a point.
:D

Caporegime
Way way back, I remember being told 2GB wasn't enough to run games, when 3GB was being shown on the 7970. I went tri-SLI on the 680 and ran 3 screens and never ran out of VRAM, even though I was told time and time again that I didn't have enough. Move on a few years and now we are being told that 10GB isn't enough to run 8K..... What the Dickens lol
That's a fairly safe bet, isn't it? Bolded part.

The 3090 is nV's "8K capable" card, and they gave that 24GB.

So.....

Associate
6 months?! It took ages to get RDR2 on PC. How long was it to get Horizon, years i bet.

I think the onus is on those saying 10GB isn't enough to prove why, when none of the benchmarks show it to be an issue.

Look at the Horizon data, that game takes up all my 11GB VRAM at 3440 x 1440, but guess what, the 3080 is trouncing my 1080ti in all the tests i've seen for that title.

Soldato
Where is your proof that is not an issue? Demonstrate to me a 3080 equivalent performance using more memory.

I can't see pBay saying anywhere that he has proof - you're (or the collective you're referring to with 'we') the one with the 'proof' apparently..

All they are going to do is ignore it.
We have the proof we need that 10GB isn't enough.

I'd like to see this proof also. I'm planning on buying a 3080 but if the 10gb vram has been proven to not be enough then I might wait.

Caporegime
6 months?! It took ages to get RDR2 on PC. How long was it to get Horizon, years i bet.

I think the onus is on those saying 10GB isn't enough to prove why, when none of the benchmarks show it to be an issue.

Look at the Horizon data, that game takes up all my 11GB VRAM at 3440 x 1440, but guess what, the 3080 is trouncing my 1080ti in all the tests i've seen for that title.
Benchmarks of games that were released years ago are not the same as benchmarks of games yet to be released, with a baseline target of next-gen consoles (also yet to be released).

A few of us have said we don't believe 10GB will last any longer than up to the point nV releases their next gen after Ampere.

You're free to disagree, but 10GB doesn't sound like a longer-term investment to me.

Soldato
It's on the onus for those that think it's enough when they have no other GPU to compare.

Just seeing one GPU provide FPS with nothing else to compare it to is bit disingenuous. How do you know it's enough? That's the point. All you see is that it beats last gen GPUs.

And you call that proof? LOL.

Soldato
It's on the onus for those that think it's enough when they have no other GPU to compare.

Just seeing one GPU provide FPS with nothing else to compare it to is bit disingenuous. How do you know it's enough? That's the point. All you see is that it beats last gen GPUs.

And you call that proof? LOL.

But you have proof? Or don't you?

Soldato
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom