• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

NVIDIA ‘Ampere’ 8nm Graphics Cards

Associate
3080 is not interesting to me. Too much power both electric and render. And factory overclocked to the limit. It only really makes sense on 4K.
Wait for 3070 reviews, could be a gem.

Soldato
Send it back under 14 days cancellation rights.
I think it would still need to be sent back by the original owner...

https://www.nvidia.ca/object/manufacturer_warranty.html

LIMITATIONS OF WARRANTY
This warranty applies only to the original purchases of the Warranted Products from a retailer, mail order operation, or on-line retail store; this warranty will not extend to any person that acquires a Warranted Product on a used basis.

Warranted Product is intended for consumer end user purposes only, and is not intended for datacenter use and/or GPU cluster commercial deployments ("Enterprise Use"). Any use of Warranted Product for Enterprise Use shall void this warranty.

Your exclusive remedy, and NVIDIA's sole obligation and liability with respect to any defective product, is limited to the repair or replacement of such product as described in this warranty. NVIDIA may, at its discretion, use new or refurbished parts or units to meet the conditions of the warranty.

Caporegime
many companies have tried to do this before (release a product and then release an upgraded product in short order) and the back-lash is always so big that they won't do it again.

it surprises me that a company like nvidia would attempt this kinda thing when its been proven time again to PR backfire.

You are forgetting AMD. Nvidia didnt have much choice. They needed to launch first but equally they need to hold something back in case the Big Navi 16Gb delivers.

So they will sell 3080s by the bucket loads, faster than they can make them and then post Navi launch they can keep selling 3080 20Gb to those who want/need the extra memory.

Associate
While the official release of these cards is the 17th of September, we're not expecting stock until early October and availability will be low. The best thing you can do is to click the 'Notify Me' option on the website and await the stock to go live.

one retailer just told me this ...

Associate
Don't shoot me as I'm really not that up on this stuff, but wouldn't a 20GB 3080 need the big cooler that the 3090 has as the memory modules would be on the back (supposedly the 2GB memory modules are not ready until next year?) - wouldn't this larger cooler add to the price over the top of the extra memory?

Soldato
While the official release of these cards is the 17th of September, we're not expecting stock until early October and availability will be low. The best thing you can do is to click the 'Notify Me' option on the website and await the stock to go live.

I think that depends on the card - some of them are definitely in stock. EVGA FTW3 variants are definitely delayed, not sure about others though.

Caporegime
Don't shoot me as I'm really not that up on this stuff, but wouldn't a 20GB 3080 need the big cooler that the 3090 has as the memory modules would be on the back (supposedly the 2GB memory modules are not ready until next year?) - wouldn't this larger cooler add to the price over the top of the extra memory?

Yes and Yes. Which is why it would be a £800+ card. They are only doing it cause they know there will be one game/scenario where the 16Gb on the Big Navi counts in comparison to the 10Gb 3080 and they would want to take the crown back.

Should that bother 3080 10gb buyers? No.

Yes, you're looking at a £900 card easy, really not worth it for the extra ram when most people won't even need it or notice the difference.

Associate
Yes and Yes. Which is why it would be a £800+ card. They are only doing it cause they know there will be one game/scenario where the 16Gb on the Big Navi counts in comparison to the 10Gb 3080 and they would want to take the crown back.

Should that bother 3080 10gb buyers? No.

Cool, thanks for the reply. I wonder if it would run cooler though as it has the bigger cooler and offer a better clock over the 10GB 3080? A possible extra difference along with the VRAM to justify a healthy price increase?

Caporegime

Going on the last two launches, the one thing Ocuk does well is that they manage to get more stock in than anybody else including Amazon.

So I can easily see some other big retailers might have only the odd 10 of each card today and stocks are going to be slow. That doesnt mean that Gibbo doesnt have 100s of some cards.

I know with either the 1000 or 2000 series launch I preorder from Amazon a MSI Gaming x card and it was 3 months before I got delivery. Ocuk has stock on opening day.

Soldato

Seeing as 1 etailer had them available to buy at midnight with guaranteed delivery tomorrow I highly doubt this is accurate

Associate
What I'm trying to understand is, Nvidia used underhanded tactics to VRAM limit the 2080 in Doom Eternal and Assassins Creed by yanking up the texture settings, causing the performance to drop significantly in benches compared to 3080. This happened as the 2080 has 8GB memory only, but 10GB is just about enough:

These two current gen games show that 8GB is a limitation in certain games already with the right settings. But they are trying to tell us just 2GB is fine and dandy, despite being on the verge of next gen when games will get more demanding going forward.

I'm warning you guys, 10GB is gimped for a $700 card, this time next year some titles will see big performance penalties as a result if you like 4K.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Seeing as 1 etailer had them available to buy at midnight with guaranteed delivery tomorrow I highly doubt this is accurate

The ones who bought in the first few minutes have had their order processed and have had shipping confirmation with delivery tomorrow

The ones a few minutes later are now awaiting stock over the next few weeks but at least they should be top fo the queue.

Looks like they only had around 10 of each.

Associate
We have a winner! Add to basket right away to avoid disappointment.

That price :D:D:D:D

They had the whole EVGA lineup with placeholder price at £2500 and then the ftw3 ultra changed to £769.99 briefly and i placed an order and have confirmation.

They also had the Asus tuf non oc for 649 that i ordered before and then cancelled as well. They seem to have removed most of the prices on everything now though.

Don't really expect it to turn up though, but was worth a shot.

Back
Top Bottom