• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ampere RTX 3080 Owners Thread

Caporegime
So far the ASUS TUF is the best all rounder.

zotac is dead last on the QC and parts used from tear downs so dodged a bullet there with my order being back ordered.

FTW3 seems the best out of box but looks terrible (lipstick on a pig)

The others all seem similar. The Gaming X trio is the most dissappointing so far. That back plate is junk compared to the TUF. The temp difference is startling for the cost of the GPU.

not sure the ftw is worth the extra. Just watch an overclocking review and even putting 400w which it’s bios allows, it managed to outperform the ASU’s tuf’S overclock by 2-4%.

and 400w is a lot more heat you have to deal with for very little gain imo.

and that ftw card might have only overclocked better purely cause of the silicon lottery. I have said it before with previous gens, the custom boards, extra chokes, three 8 pin power connectors won’t necessarily give you any better performance than buying the cheapest card so long as it has decent enough cooling

Soldato
(ref Afterburner 463 beta2)
Aaaand ... nope still cant set a custom profile and keep the stock fan off below certain temps, it forces a minimum of 30%.

I asked the author but he said you cant set below the bios , but the default behavior is fan off at below 60 deg says I.
He replies with a short tempered answer saying he told me what the issue is and locks the thread .... creating these wonderful bits of software must make one very short tempered :p

Last edited:
Man of Honour
OP
Picked this up earlier and have a 48Gbps HDMI cable coming tomorrow so can test 4K@120 on the C9 :) Bit of a pain as no long cables out yet so have to relocate the PC to the other side of the room :(

Do we have a ROH yet?

20200919-174416.jpg
My contribution to the list

y0HBRY4.jpg

Welcome and on TROH.:)

The Roll of Honour.

iH1492r.jpg

Date 19/09/2020, Make Zotac Trinity, Palit GamingPro, Link
Date 19/09/2020, Make Zotac Trinity, hyperseven, Link
Date 18/09/2020, Make MSI Gaming X Trio, Vogon, Link

To get on the Roll of Honour all you have to do is post a pic with your user name on it of your RTX 3080

Associate
According to another thread a ubisoft rep said the card needs to be in your system and running recent drivers to redeem the code. So if you don't have the card you can't redeem it.

If thats the case it shouldnt be too hard to spoof it probably an API call you can just hook, curious if we're going to see that popping up next on github along all the nvidia store scrappers.

Associate
Picked this up earlier and have a 48Gbps HDMI cable coming tomorrow so can test 4K@120 on the C9 :) Bit of a pain as no long cables out yet so have to relocate the PC to the other side of the room :(

Do we have a ROH yet?

20200919-174416.jpg

How you finding it for 4k@120hz on C9 ? Also have C9 for gaming so just wondering how the card is coping, if its powerful enough or now.

Associate
Many people got one with a 650W PSU? Thinking of getting one but I have a Seasonic 80+ Gold 650W PSU in my system (with a Ryzen 3600).

I had a Seasonic X650 but swapped it out for an RM850X as I didn't want to risk it not being enough. There's also the Superflower Leadex III 850W which is the same model that EVGA rebrand for their PSUs I believe:

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...old-modular-power-supply-black-ca-062-sf.html

Should still be able to sell the Seasonic on for about £70-£80, so it wouldn't be a massive loss to upgrade to be safe.

Soldato
(ref Afterburner 463 beta2)
Aaaand ... nope still cant set a custom profile and keep the stock fan off below certain temps, it forces a minimum of 30%.

I asked the author but he said you cant set below the bios , but the default behavior is fan off at below 60 deg says I.
He replies with a short tempered answer saying he told me what the issue is and locks the thread .... creating these wonderful bits of software must make one very short tempered :p

I'm getting the same issue on my card which won't go below 30 percent when using a custom fan profile. I really want a custom one too with the fans going off as the stock one is really weak IMO.

Soldato
Maxed/ultra everything in graphics settings and 4K HDR (apart from med AA cant see a lot of point of much AA on 4k).
1 lap in Thunderstorm with max AI cars on track so as graphically demanding as these titles get.

Card Stock, i5 8600 @ 4700 (run this daily since installing 2-3 years ago)
Using AB/RV for fps data.

Project Cars 2
20-09-2020, 18:44:56 pCARS2AVX.exe benchmark completed, 16792 frames rendered in 151.344 s
Average framerate : 110.9 FPS
Minimum framerate : 69.7 FPS
Maximum framerate : 125.2 FPS
1% low framerate : 70.9 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 65.8 FPS

Assetto Corsa Competzione
20-09-2020, 18:30:28 AC2-Win64-Shipping.exe benchmark completed, 19614 frames rendered in 214.031 s
Average framerate : 91.6 FPS
Minimum framerate : 64.8 FPS
Maximum framerate : 104.9 FPS
1% low framerate : 63.7 FPS
0.1% low framerate : 55.2 FPS

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm getting the same issue on my card which won't go below 30 percent when using a custom fan profile. I really want a custom one too with the fans going off as the stock one is really weak IMO.

Yep, probs no likely from AB seeing as the author fails to recognise its an issue.
Even when you put speeds in it doesnt actually use those speeds.
I have found getting an actual 60% fanspeed when gaming/load will give me a temp of 62, and isn't at all obtrusive .. in fact my T300 wheel fan is far noisier, must look into that :p

This is how I set it to achieve that, the fans dont actually run as high as set as I mentioned above.
But TBH I manually load the profile before gaming/benching as I don't want the fans on when they don't need to be :o

dsYSI1n.jpg

Back
Top Bottom