Google Pixel 5

Man of Honour
Extremely disappointing for the price, £600 for a mid-ranger, and missing the secure face unlock.

Do people realise the phones you can get for 600 notes right now?

My iphone 11 has face unlock, and I still much prefer my Pixel 2xl's finger print scanner. But each to their own - I don't particularly care for face unlock, nor do I care for gaming graphics capability.

I need a phone that allows me to use the apps that I use, and takes excellent photos. That to me says pixel... I do accept other phones may be "better" but it depends on your use and perspective. I don't want anything other than stock android. Even using my iphone is frustrating despite it being a relatively modern one, and whilst I do like the Samsungs I just don't find the features all the compelling and complicates things unnecessarily. £600 frankly such little money that if it turns out to be rubbish or not as good as you hope you can just get another phone.

Soldato
£600 frankly such little money that if it turns out to be rubbish or not as good as you hope you can just get another phone.

I doubt many people would be happy to offload a £600 phone after a few weeks, take a £300 hit on resale and then buy another device.

Soldato
For me, the Pixel 4 is looking like a much more attractive device than the 4a(5G) or the 5.

90hz, wireless charging, and Soli to me is very interesting.

I personally don't like the size of my 3XL. So the 5 looks like a good size and the 4 from all reports has shocking battery life.

Still got £320 left to pay on my phone contract for my 3XL and don't think I'd get that from selling it so I'll just stick with it.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
I doubt many people would be happy to offload a £600 phone after a few weeks, take a £300 hit on resale and then buy another device.

Of course everyone has different affordability brackets, but you wouldn't lose half the value of the phone - they hold their value better than that.

It's funny because wireless charging is just of no interest to me - the telephoto would have been nice but in the grand scheme of things the iphone 11 pro's telephoto doesn't seem to add a huge amount of 'zoom' anyway. The joy of a good camera on your phone is capturing the moments when you don't have your DSLR on you.

Although I have active edge on my 2xL I honestly can't remember the last time I used it.

They did say that soli chip will be back in the future but they wanted to keep the costs down for the pixel 5 - I tried the 4xl and i wasn't particularly wow'ed by it.

Again this is just my opinion, everybody wants different things from their phone. I'm just desperate to upgrade from my 2xl, and my iphone 11 whilst good, just isn't my cup of tea.

Soldato
Yep me too. What’s your delivery date estimated as?

Well I had the store opened before the launch event, but when they said "out today in the US, and other countries before the end of the year" I switched off. Why didn't they say, pre-orders starting today?

It was only a bit later when I checked back, just by chance, I noticed they had the pre-orders up. Typical Google! absolutely garbage at communicating with their customers. Their launch events are as bad as their phones.

The date I have been given is October 16th.

Soldato
I've ordered one. My pixel 2xl is showing its age now. I don't need a flagship phone - so this is perfect for me.
I'm on a Pixel 2 (not the Xl) as well and the battery is dire these days. Everything else is fantastic still imo (maybe a little sluggish by modern standards) so it's a shame I need to change!

Associate
Well I had the store opened before the launch event, but when they said "out today in the US, and other countries before the end of the year" I switched off. Why didn't they say, pre-orders starting today?

It was only a bit later when I checked back, just by chance, I noticed they had the pre-orders up. Typical Google! absolutely garbage at communicating with their customers. Their launch events are as bad as their phones.

The date I have been given is October 16th.

Yeah same date here. The ethernet adapter is available for pre-order as well.

Showed the wife the promo video for it and she was impressed with everything merged on the front screen as opposed to having to go into an app to see the same merged content (ATV+). Just a shame All 4 and Now TV aren't playing ball with TV apps.

Scored an 8.5 on The Verge so everyone seems to be impressed with it.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Yeah same date here. The ethernet adapter is available for pre-order as well.

Showed the wife the promo video for it and she was impressed with everything merged on the front screen as opposed to having to go into an app to see the same merged content (ATV+). Just a shame All 4 and Now TV aren't playing ball with TV apps.

Scored an 8.5 on The Verge so everyone seems to be impressed with it.

Do we know if Google TV has all the UK catch up/streaming services?

Soldato
Think I'll probably wait until i can see some reviews. I'd really like a good battery on my next phone and would be annoyed if it couldn't get through the day with no issues.

Doubt I'll get the headphones deal after the reviews come out but worth a shot I reckon.

Back
Top Bottom