• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

AMD Zen 3 (5000 Series), rumored 17% IPC gain.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man of Honour
How will AMD convince the OEMs to start shipping AMD systems for the office corporations where Intel dominates with over 80% market share?

AMD has 20% market share in the desktop x86-64 segment but that includes the heavy domination in sites like Mindfactory de and other DIY retailers.

A lot of those OEMs have existing agreements, etc. the only way you are really going to turn that around is by over time proving you have an attractive product and that isn't necessarily just about price.

Soldato
Zen 3 is just a fixed Zen which should have been so from the very beginning in 2017.
8-core CCX with shared L3 cache should have been the first iteration of Zen.

Whatever......
Tbh Zen 2 is good but still not quite there when compared to Intel for gaming/latency, but if Zen 1 had started with Zen 2's improvements or even close ish, then they would've done much better to begin with and really given Intel a thrashing
for longer in terms of overall cost & performance. But i guess they needed to get chips out ASAP so instead of refining them for a bit longer they just readied them for release.

Soldato
How will AMD convince the OEMs to start shipping AMD systems for the office corporations where Intel dominates with over 80% market share?

AMD has 20% market share in the desktop x86-64 segment but that includes the heavy domination in sites like Mindfactory de and other DIY retailers.
They Only dominated because they paid a lot of money to companies to not use AMD cpus, something that is now changing

Caporegime
The guy wants tech companies to stifle innovation and drip feed their consumers over long periods of time and in the end cost the conumser more money....oh wait...it’s what Intel have been doing for the last 14 years...
The guys a bit strange, it’s like he can’t fathom in his head that AMD are ahead of his beloved intel
Sometimes it is literally like talking to children on these forums, people seem to lose their grip on reality the moment they perceive some imaginary 'attack' on their favourite companies. Hilarious.

Caporegime
Sometimes it is literally like talking to children on these forums, people seem to lose their grip on reality the moment they perceive some imaginary 'attack' on their favourite companies. Hilarious.

Ive had far more Intel chips then AMD...but I didn’t upgrade my 6700k due to this tiny increase drip feed....AMD have innovated and shook up the industry which is only good for us consumers...

As soon as Intel come up with something to compete and it beats AMD by a decent margin in what I use my pc for...then I’ll dump AMD and shift...

I dumped the 9900k after a week and bought a 3900x instead...:p

It’s silicon...all if it will be dead tech in 2 years time...people who get sentimental about soulless pc hardware that a told for a job do my head in...

Soldato
I couldn’t care less which equipment i use, look at my sig. what I find funny is AMD releasing something that is better than everything about current and possibly the next gen intel chips(if they ever come) and out come the fan boys(not directed at you) come spoiling the thread about anything they can, which happens to be price this time as that’s the only thing that is letting down the AMD chips this time

Caporegime
Ive had far more Intel chips then AMD...but I didn’t upgrade my 6700k due to this tiny increase drip feed....AMD have innovated and shook up the industry which is only good for us consumers...

As soon as Intel come up with something to compete and it beats AMD by a decent margin in what I use my pc for...then I’ll dump AMD and shift...

It’s silicon...all if it will be dead tech in 2 years time...people who can’t sentimental do my head in...
Absolutely no-one in this thread has said that technological stagnation and drip-feeding is good. It's obviously not good and tin that specific regard Intel have sucked hard.

But to then say that AMD, as amazing as they are doing now, are leaving Intel for dust for the forseeable future is simply not a balanced or rational viewpoint. They will be back hard in a couple of years.

Until that time I will be loving my Zen3. :D

I couldn’t care less which equipment i use, look at my sig. what I find funny is AMD releasing something that is better than everything about current and possibly the next gen intel chips(if they ever come) and out come the fan boys come spoiling the thread about anything they can, which happens to be price this time as that’s the only thing that is letting down the AMD chips this time

Aww diddums... is someone 'spoling' the thread by not writing idealized guff about a company and instead giving a reasoned viewpoint? You poor wee mite. :p

Soldato
The guy wants tech companies to stifle innovation and drip feed their consumers over long periods of time and in the end cost the conumser more money....oh wait...it’s what Intel have been doing for the last 14 years...
More performance for the same money is progress but more performance for more money is not especially when the price rise % is higher than the performance uplift on offer.

Caporegime
Agreed that it is seriously bad pricing in the way they have positioned the 5600x and 5800x... but it useful an an exercise in realising that AMD are a soulless corporation just like Intel who want to make as much money as possible at our expense. They are not a force for good, they do not have our best interest at heart, they just want to be in a dominant market position and provide maximum return to shareholders. If anything, the pressure on AMD to squeeze all the profits they can is only increasing given how much the share price has exploded in the last 12 months.
Most of us will agree. There are the poor souls on here who insist this is what AMD needs to do to keep trading, or that it's all going to R&D to help them make the future better for us all :p Don't underestimate the power of the fanboy to see what they want.

Permabanned
Ive had far more Intel chips then AMD...

See, AMD doesn't convince you to buy, even when they had the mighty Athlon 64 or Phenom that was able to be upgraded on the AM2+, AM3 sockets.

Will you buy Ryzen 5000 when this is the last AM4 generation and big things are next to come next year or two?!

Caporegime
More performance for the same money is progress but more performance for more money is not especially when the price rise % is higher than the performance uplift on offer.

I will be paying £50 more for 19% more performance when I upgrade my 3900x...I’m not paying 19% more than I did for the 3900x for 5900x

Your coming across as silly now...or dare I say it troll like...

The figures speak for themselves...

Caporegime
See, AMD doesn't convince you to buy, even when they had the mighty Athlon 64 or Phenom that was able to be upgraded on the AM2+, AM3 sockets.

Will you buy Ryzen 5000 when this is the last AM4 generation and big things are next to come next year or two?!

Yep, I’ll buy a 5900x then sell it use the funds to go Intel or AMD Zen 4 and DDR 5....

Soldato
I will be paying £50 more for 19% more performance when I upgrade my 3900x...I’m not paying 19% more than I did for the 3900x for 5900x

Your coming across as willing now...or dare I say it troll like...

The figures speak for themselves...

That is you personally and not everyone is looking to buy that SKU. Also no one is arguing about the 5900X.

Caporegime
The real problems with Zen 3 are the pricing increase, the lack of low end and the large gap between 5600X and 5800X. Ironically if you have had a 3800X or 3900X your upgrade path is ~£50 more expensive than your existing CPU and that is not horrible to be fair. It's the people on 3700X or lower who are wondering "what about us, what is our upgrade choice". Strangely if you are considering a 5800X at £430 then the best value option is to go for a 5900X. 50% more cores for ~23% more cost makes the 5900X the price/perf choice.
We've been saying this for days now. The 5900 is the best value chip in the whole line-up.

Sadly when we complain about the missing 5600/5700X or the fixed price increase across the whole range, the standard reply is, "What are you talking about, the 5900 is incredible value!"

Apparently the answer to the low-end groans is that we should all buy 5900X chips. I will start looking down the corners of my sofa daily.

Soldato
Absolutely no-one in this thread has said that technological stagnation and drip-feeding is good. It's obviously not good and tin that specific regard Intel have sucked hard.

But to then say that AMD, as amazing as they are doing now, are leaving Intel for dust for the forseeable future is simply not a balanced or rational viewpoint. They will be back hard in a couple of years.

Aww diddums... is someone 'spoling' the thread by not writing idealized guff about a company and instead giving a reasoned viewpoint? You poor wee mite. :p
As I said I couldn’t care less I will buy the best available and come the 5th of nov that will be AMD for the next few years, if in 2023/4 intel come up with something I won’t hesitate to jump back

Soldato

Same here most likely, will be either 5800x or 5900x drop in upgrade for me, depending on game & overall perf.

Soldato
We've been saying this for days now. The 5900 is the best value chip in the whole line-up

the 5900X offers 19% perrformance for 10% price increase so there is nothing wrong with that imo.

Now looking at the 6 core segment the 5600X would need to retail for for £209 to offer the same performance increase with a 10% increase over zen 2 pricing and in the 8 core section the 5800X would need to retail £363

Associate
I`m wondering iof this worth considering an upgrade from a 8700K 5ghz de lidded and binned on air (Noctua D15) 16 GB 3200 system. to one of these with 32GB paired with a 3080. Mainly for Iracing wanting best single core performance and for VR Index and G2 when arrives. Perhaps a 5900x or 5800x. I dont know much about these boost clocks at moment. wondering if I could overclock to 5GHZ on all cores is realistic with regard to temps. Could they be de lidded, would they need to?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom