Tinnitus who suffers from it

Soldato
Mine is getting progressively worse but I just live with it and can somehow ignore even though it's always there...a low pulsating hum alongside a high pitch wine that also pulses.

My main problem now is that I'm getting hearing loss in that ear as well. Noisy environments are becoming difficult to communicate it and I'm forever asking people to repeat themselves if they're near my left ear. I'm almost at the stage of getting a hearing aid. Didn't think I'd ever be saying that at 45 :p

Soldato
I had symptoms for a day or so and it drove me nuts, I went to an out of hours GP, who commented why I seeked medical help so early, it was explained I would have to have it for at least 6 months before a chance to even get referred, so I was feeling pretty bad after that consultation, luckily for me it stopped the next day.

Since then I have been more careful, lower volume on music, and anything on headphones lower volume as well. I expect it will come back at some point.

What kind of sound were you hearing? High pitch ringing?

Soldato
Ouch, severe hearing loss is bad! Guessing he wears a hearing aid to get by?

im ok with it generally except for when it gets bad due to stress. But then i just put some pink noise on from an app to cover it.
Yep hearing aids full time.

Pink noise? Will have to investigate if it's something that can help us sufferers. I usually just say to google assistant "play some white noise" before sleeping.

Soldato
I don't have tinnitus but always use a fan or equivalent for sleeping, I've found a really good alternative to a fan to be white noise apps on your phone. Some nights you don't want a cold fan running or don't have to access to one, I've found free noise apps to be amazing in that situation. They offer a lot of different frequencies or natural sounds so it could hopefully help.

All South Park jokes aside I've found brown noise to be the best alternative to a fan for sleeping. I use the free White Noise Lite app, works great for me.

Brown noise? Is that having someone fart in your ear all night?

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Mine is getting progressively worse but I just live with it and can somehow ignore even though it's always there...a low pulsating hum alongside a high pitch wine that also pulses.

My main problem now is that I'm getting hearing loss in that ear as well. Noisy environments are becoming difficult to communicate it and I'm forever asking people to repeat themselves if they're near my left ear. I'm almost at the stage of getting a hearing aid. Didn't think I'd ever be saying that at 45 :p

Pulsatile tinnitus form most likely means you have a fistula, in which case surgery might be able to remove it.

The neck and above scans did not find my fistula up there (apparently the most common location). However, the ultrasound folk knew that for a fact - that my fistula is located lower in my body, before the ENT investigations later reported they found no pathology (in the ENT investigation zone).

Last edited:
Soldato
Pulsatile tinnitus form most likely means you have a fistula, in which case surgery might be able to remove it.

The neck and above scans did not find my fistula up there (apparently the most common location). However, the ultrasound folk knew that for a fact - that my fistula is located lower in my body, before the ENT investigations later reported they found no pathology (in the ENT investigation zone).
Interesting. I had a scan from neck and above and as you say, nothing was found.

I'll do a bit more reading up on it. Does it get rid of the tinnitus totally or just reduce it?

RxR

RxR

Soldato
Interesting. I had a scan from neck and above and as you say, nothing was found.

I'll do a bit more reading up on it. Does it get rid of the tinnitus totally or just reduce it?

I was told it (removing the fistula / surgically severing and plugging the leak between the vein and artery) would get rid of the tinnitus entirely.

Online surgical treatment information for tinnitus caused by a fistula states / reports the same complete elimination outcome.

Soldato
My tinnitus has been more buzzy this week, most of the time its more a hum. This morning when i got out of bed my right ear plugged up and i couldn't hear well. After wiggling my ear lobe a bit it unblocked, I also felt very congested so i blew my nose and this reduced my tinnitus to a smooth hum/hiss.

I've been told my tinnitus is from mild noise induced hearing loss at 3-4khz but I think theres an allergy or something make it worse than it usually is.

Soldato
Doc thinks mine is sinus related, told me to steam head and take decongestants, also prescribed me antidepressants - Citalopram, don't fancy taking these after googling them though, He also gave me an ENT referral for an MRI - which he said could take months, private one seems to cost around £350, if so I'll get one next week if steaming and decongestants don't help. Got kicked out of the chemist trying to get my prescription as too many ppl in the shop^^

Soldato
It's all in the mind. Work at improving your own life and the lives of others around you.

Hate to break it to you, but that's not correct at all.

I've had it my entire life, it became worse about 5/6 years ago during a serious ear infection. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being a fire alarm, mine is around a 7.

Resigning yourself to living with it is the best way of dealing with it in my experience. The minute the doctor said there wasn't much available in terms of treatment, I stopped stressing about it and it melted away into the background sounds of life. This was after months of scans, scouring Google and trying every home remedy available.

Eventually you just forget about it because you normalise it. I only really hear mine now in silent rooms, so I have a noise app on my phone or sleep with a fan on. I'd say it hasn't caused me any serious issues for about 4 years now.

Soldato
Hate to break it to you, but that's not correct at all.

I've had it my entire life, it became worse about 5/6 years ago during a serious ear infection. On a scale of 1 to 10, 10 being a fire alarm, mine is around a 7.

Resigning yourself to living with it is the best way of dealing with it in my experience. The minute the doctor said there wasn't much available in terms of treatment, I stopped stressing about it and it melted away into the background sounds of life. This was after months of scans, scouring Google and trying every home remedy available.

Eventually you just forget about it because you normalise it. I only really hear mine now in silent rooms, so I have a noise app on my phone or sleep with a fan on. I'd say it hasn't caused me any serious issues for about 4 years now.

yea when i first got on i would focus on it so much, now its more background noise but it does get worse when stressed

Associate
It's in the mind trust me. As someone with schizophrenia, I sometimes get it. It seems real but it isnt. I would also advise stopping smoking or taking drugs or drinking too much.

Soldato
Yeah, can confirm that mine is definitely not in my head, my jaw is just a bit wonky.

Would've tried stuff this year with the orthodontist to correct or reduce it, but y'know... not risking coof this year. Maybe next.

Back
Top Bottom