• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Permabanned
Even the euro conversions I seen popping up on alerts were staggering. Spanish, French rainforest links had 3080's for 900+ euros, so much for being anywhere near £650 lol.

Even for mining that's crazy expensive and not sustainable in any meaningful way price. The period will be years before the miner returns the investment :laugh:

Associate
Does the design remind anyone else of the IMMA FIRIN MAH LAZER meme?

radepon-dah-whoop.jpg

Soldato
Yeh but that was because nvidia were selling it and some retailers (well I only saw one) also put a very small number of cards in at msrp as well.

yeah i don't really care what the justification was really. Nvidia's FE was the best one out of all of them, and the cheapest! That's the benchmark. If the AIB's can't make a profit when Nvidia can, that's their own problem not mine.

The 6800XT looks to be the same, refernce styling is the best out of the lot.

Soldato
I expect the next few months will reveal how valuable AMDs SAM really is.

It clearly is more than simply rebranding existing work but is it that much more developed that others can't immediately yoink this advancement for themselves.

I imagine the work AMD is putting in is quite valuable for itself since it makes the components at both ends which is great for guaranteeing a feature works.

Everyone else wanting a bit of this has to go in for cooperating with competitors which is much less attractive. Perhaps no one but AMD could have brought this tech forward.

So AMD has come out to say SAM is not proprietary.

https://www.pcgamer.com/amd-smart-access-memory-not-proprietary-promise/

AMD has now released a statement explaining that yes, Smart Access Memory is based on the Resizable BAR PCIe, and yes, it can work with other hardware, but it's currently only been working on validating it with the Ryzen 5000 and Radeon RX 6000 pairings.

“As the only company offering high performance gaming CPUs and GPUs, AMD is in a unique position to deliver incredible PC gaming experiences," reads the statement. "With AMD Smart Access Memory, we have designed, optimized and validated both hardware and software technologies with all combinations of Ryzen 5000 Series processors, Radeon RX 6000 Series graphics cards, AMD 500 Series motherboards and the latest drivers and BIOS at launch. We believe this pairing unlocks maximum platform performance.

"Smart Access Memory is built on features of the PCIe standard and firmware standards (Resizable BAR), and was developed through extensive validation and platform optimization. We welcome the opportunity to support other hardware vendors in their efforts as part of our ongoing commitment to using common and open standards to improve gaming experiences.”

Proprietary or not this still requires external cooperation for everyone not called AMD to get their hardware validated and optimised as AMD did for their own selected hardware.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
yeah i don't really care what the justification was really. Nvidia's FE was the best one out of all of them, and the cheapest! That's the benchmark. If the AIB's can't make a profit when Nvidia can, that's their own problem not mine.

The 6800XT looks to be the same, refernce styling is the best out of the lot.

nvidia made a loss on the coolers. They gave AIB's a rebate for the first month to allow them to adjust their tactics and compensate them for throwing them under the bus...

Soldato
Even for mining that's crazy expensive and not sustainable in any meaningful way price. The period will be years before the miner returns the investment :laugh:

You think miners will be buying them up? Im a miner and those prices can do one. Like you said ROI on last gen was like nearly 2 years for a new GPU, this gen its probably 3 years till you break even - and thats mining 24/7 not pausing it for 5 hours to game on etc..

Soldato
nvidia made a loss on the coolers. They gave AIB's a rebate for the first month to allow them to adjust their tactics and compensate them for throwing them under the bus...

Where is this "rebate" stuff coming from? I have seen the rumor a couple times but never seen any evidence of it.

Soldato
Where is this "rebate" stuff coming from? I have seen the rumor a couple times but never seen any evidence of it.

Watch MLID video on it, it was about a week after the 3080 pre-sale. There were follow on videos and possibly Steve tech jesus would have mentioned it on his recent video. Basically they gave them a hand me out short term to sweeten the onslaught, however the quality cooler and change in PCB layout would have not been free for nvidia - hence they want to minimise the sales and force you to go to AIB flavours which they do make profit on.

Associate
If I had to bet, I'd say you take things way to seriously. Relax. I'm doing just fine. There are no games out now where it would make a new video card paramount. Remember, I don't need ray tracing. ;)

It wasn't personal or anything. It's just that a few sources have put these cards in the UK at about 1200 units total, so I sort of suspect that come launch day there's going to be just as many people queuing for them as any other card right now. That could be wrong though, who knows!

Soldato
It wasn't personal or anything. It's just that a few sources have put these cards in the UK at about 1200 units total, so I sort of suspect that come launch day there's going to be just as many people queuing for them as any other card right now. That could be wrong though, who knows!

Quite true, and a position I thought AMD would not be in as they had time to build more stock. I guess as I am not tied to any brand I would also take a 3080FE should one be available. For me the 3070 is too weak for my needs, even though its probably perfect for majority of 1440p gamers. I can take a 6800 but if your saying the 1200 units is for 6800 AND 6800XT's then we are all unlikely to bag one if you believe all the nay-saying reports.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom