New essential Android apps thread

Soldato
Google has absolutely butchered the Google photos app, more specifically the photo editing section. So many extra clicks and scrolls required now. Such a backwards step. Not happy. :o

IC3

IC3

Soldato
Google has absolutely butchered the Google photos app, more specifically the photo editing section. So many extra clicks and scrolls required now. Such a backwards step. Not happy. :o
I think their main issue is trying to minimize the amount of options in view, they're definitely going down the 'minimalistic look'...

Anyone here use the outlook email app? Just trying it on my pixel 5 for the first time, and it's forever notifying me that I have new mail when I don't. Like the notification is hours old or something. I've since replied and moved the mail to a folder but the app notifies me again later.

Soldato
Anyone here use the outlook email app? Just trying it on my pixel 5 for the first time, and it's forever notifying me that I have new mail when I don't. Like the notification is hours old or something. I've since replied and moved the mail to a folder but the app notifies me again later.

Is this using a Microsoft email account? It should be near instant. For Gmail and other services they will use IMAP/POP3 instead, and there should be a sync period setting in the account settings.

On the other hand, I've been using Nine mail app instead which also supports adding accounts via exchange activesync. An expensive email app but it's been working really well for me so far.

Soldato
What graphically intensive/pretty games can anyone recommend?

I've just had a play of 'Shadowgun Legends', on a recommendation from a different thread (I think) and it's pretty good. I tried to run 'Elder Scroll Blades', but I'm getting an error... oh, I've literally just got that to run, so will try that now :)

Soldato
What graphically intensive/pretty games can anyone recommend?

I've just had a play of 'Shadowgun Legends', on a recommendation from a different thread (I think) and it's pretty good. I tried to run 'Elder Scroll Blades', but I'm getting an error... oh, I've literally just got that to run, so will try that now :)

Genshin Impact?

Anyone know how to force android to make the notification bar show in black text when viewing the home screen? I have a wallpaper with a dark bottom and it has white overcast clouds the top 40 percent of the image that is so bright its basically white, however the clock and notifications are still white so I cannot see them.

Soldato
Anyone know how to force android to make the notification bar show in black text when viewing the home screen? I have a wallpaper with a dark bottom and it has white overcast clouds the top 40 percent of the image that is so bright its basically white, however the clock and notifications are still white so I cannot see them.

You will need to use a custom launcher. Nova has the option to set the icons to dark mode.

Caporegime
Bit of an odd one but with a growing amount of my family passing away this year, reminded me I should start recording my/our lives especially with my memory.

Any apps that act as a life diary (I don't want to write daily journals about how someone was mean to me) where you can note and record major milestones, add pics and share with others?

Associate
Bit of an odd one but with a growing amount of my family passing away this year, reminded me I should start recording my/our lives especially with my memory.

Any apps that act as a life diary (I don't want to write daily journals about how someone was mean to me) where you can note and record major milestones, add pics and share with others?

I don't think it's quite what you had in mind but the Google photos auto assistant has done a good job in the past of capturing some of my major events, as that's when I take the most photos. Plus it's always amusing to see what it picks as the highlights with no knowledge of what's worth keeping and what's rubbish.

I believe you can make your own collections of photos (possibly called stories?) Which you can add a few more details to, but haven't looked into it personally. It also gives me notifications to "look back at this day in 20XX" which has been a nice reminder to actually go back and look at my photos every once in a while

Soldato

Wow, this was actually an app idea I had this year, which I was going to call something like 'Milestones' or 'Tentpoles' (what TV shows was that from, Friends?) Doesn't help you, sorry, but maybe it will push me to actually getting it written at some point!

Associate
Wow, this was actually an app idea I had this year, which I was going to call something like 'Milestones' or 'Tentpoles' (what TV shows was that from, Friends?) Doesn't help you, sorry, but maybe it will push me to actually getting it written at some point!

I like this idea. Something like OneNote could work for you for now.

I collate my photographs in folders around an event or holiday but being able to write notes, tag people etc would be great.
Sounds similar to a photo book but not sure if there are apps for digital ones?

Soldato
A remote device control app? Free ideally as not for me but a tall ask I know...

Something along the lines of Teamviewer. TW appears to let you have 1x free go and then the remote app becomes "screen share" only. There's no mention of pricing but the desktop version isn't cheap so I'm guessing the mobile app won't be either.

Back
Top Bottom