• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The thread which sometimes talks about RDNA2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
We understand mate, you bought a 3090 at twice the cost of a 3080 and 6800xt for 10% more performance, I would be ****** to.
People called it a few months back in the other RDNA 2 thread. The minute AMD starts winning people would pivot and start talking about DLSS and RT like they are the end all to be all.

I'm going to get some popcorn and enjoy the show, does anyone wants some.

Associate
Future games will be based on technology that exists now; past games won't be!

That is correct, but the RTX cards launched in 2018 and there's been only a splattering of games with RT since.

Not saying it's not a killer feature or anything but it's being over egged a bit by a lot of people - I assume the same people who were blasting nVidia when the RTX series launched.

DLSS is a much better feature.

Associate
People called it a few months back in the other RDNA 2 thread. The minute AMD starts winning people would pivot and start talking about DLSS and RT like they are the end all to be all.

I'm going to get some popcorn and enjoy the show, does anyone wants some.

RT is the next big console feature. So in future it will be all about RT performance. 6800xt is about the same as the RTX 3070.

Soldato
RT is the next big console feature.
Yeah. In the mid cycle refresh (PS5 pro and Xbox something) or the PS6 and xbox Two X.

Either way few people will be rocking an Ampere or RDNA 2 graphics card by the time RT actually matters, and is not a tacked on feature that is sparingly used.

Associate
Lol all the influx of "But meh Raytracing and DLSS"

Hilarious, 2 features in less than a handful of games Hahaha.

AMD beat Nvidias first attempt at ray tracing with their first attempt, but of course Nvidias 2nd attempt is better.

What will be your argument when AMD release their DLSS alternative and their next attempt at ray tracing?

Its sad people cant just admit AMD pulled Nvidias pants down and in turn yours if you bought a 3090

Associate
Yeah. In the mid cycle refresh (PS5 pro and Xbox something) or the PS6 and xbox Two X.

Either way few people will be rocking an Ampere or RDNA 2 graphics card by the time RT actually matters, and is not a tacked on feature that is sparingly used.

You mean when cyberpunk 2077 releases on the 10th December. RT matters now, world of warcraft is a RT game (shadows). Fortnite is RT. Most games are patching to add RT.

Atomic Heart is another RT future tech I am watching.

Last edited:
Soldato
well, I guess the stock is worse than Nvidia which is pretty poor IMHO. Only one retailer in DK seems to have received stock and on their site, they state only 50 6800xt and 50 6800 were received and no more would be coming in from PowerColor/AMD. I guess reference design is limited and its all up to the AIBs and their custom models. Wonder if they are gonna pull an Nvidia move and have higher prices for those versus MSRP.

Reference and MSRP applies to launch products (sometimes MSRP never happens) and then it goes right into the bin when the manufacturers are allowed to do their own boards to their own specs.

Between that and retailers knowing there's a stock shortage so price hiking is free money, you're not paying reference prices for custom.

Soldato
The main issue is overclocking wont help the RT performance much. Given consoles games are going to use RT, this means NVidia is ahead in future games. You will have better quality for RT on Nvidia cards. AMD cards will look like their console counter parts with limited RT features or 1080p resolution for RT heavy games. AMD's upscaling seems to hit vRAM harder than DLSS.

From a standpoint of RT I dont see how the 6900xt could match the RTX 3080. The RTX 3090 is top card at the moment.

How is dirt 5 better on AMD in ray tracing is it because it's optimized for it ?

Soldato
Well considering the last high end card from nvidia was £1150 i'd say prices have went down a bit (or at least reverted to around about where they were a few years ago). I can only imagine what nvidia would have priced the 3 series at had amd **** the bed with the 6 series.
Not really considering Nvidias new high end card is now £1500 and even AMDs will be £1000.

Soldato
You mean when cyberpunk 2077 releases on the 10th December. RT matters now, world of warcraft is a RT game (shadows). Fortnite is RT. Most games are patching to add RT.
So a tacked on feature like i said orginally. Of everything you've listed and that i am aware of, cyberpunk is the only game i can think of that might have a "next gen/proper" implementation of RT (no i don't count minecraft) and not just a tacked on feature but we just don't know.

It is also a huge game that has been in development for a very long time. So it may very well be a tacked on feature that is heavily overused at launch to make Ampere look good before it is scaled back a few months later. Only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom