YouTube Premium

Man of Honour
Is it me or is YouTube getting really, really carried away with ads these days?! Feels like I’m watching Sky TV in the early 2000s.

I’m curious as to how many of you pay for YouTube premium and also interested to see if anyone has any tips to get it at a legitimate discount.

Cheers.

Soldato
Yeah the ads definitely seem to have increased in length and amount over the past few years :(

It was inevitable really - We need a new YouTube :p

Associate
It's where I consume 80% of my content so I really don't mind spending the money - plus more ad revenue gets given to the creators that you watch. Ditched my TV license a couple of years ago as between youtube and Netflix, we're pretty sorted.

I know there are some ways to get it cheap by buying it through a different country e.g. India, but I think it throws off your recommended videos a tad.

Soldato
I don't want anything to do with Deliveroo delivery a Christmas crap snack. I dont care about ANY of the games, especially the Walking Dead, and god help me if I want anything to do with Tik Tok, I mean, Why do Tik Tok feel they need to advertise so much! At least on TV you get some different ads etc, but YT its the same ones over and over and over.

Caporegime
No, not in a million years. For clarification:

Youtube has killed off a considerable chunk of earnings for content creators, which is why we have "this video is sponsored by" ads in so many vids as well as merch and patreon. These were all borne out of necessity rather than greed (although for many it's greed). Youtube will randomly demonetize videos for the most ridiculous reasons and appealing it will generally take a week or more which is when the heat for the vid has died down and people have lost interest or watched it, so the revenue is laughable. Their strike and appeal system is a joke and completely broken. I'm not convinced that this isn't by design.

To make matters worse, Youtube had a 10 minute rule. This meant that you could only get mid-roll ads in your videos if they were over 10 minutes. This meant that you get tons of creators who take a 30 second topic and drone on for 10 minutes so they get that extra revenue from the ads, whilst their vids are generally just waffle. No person demonstrates this better than Scotty Kilmer:

Look at the length of all these videos:

UHzFoTU.png

Due to this, people use adblockers, like myself. I still had ads on my mobile devices as I still wanted to support the creators a little bit, but Youtube then decided that the best course of action wasn't to address the problem, but simply make those who aren't adblocking suffer more by doubling the amount of ads pre-vid, and reducing that 10 minute rule to 8 minutes. I've no intention of watching two 30 second ads for a 15 second cat meme thanks.

To that end I've accepted that Youtube is dying and probably won't be around much longer, at least not to the levels it was a few years ago. I've got ad blockers installed on everything and use Youtube Vanced on my phone to get rid of them too, and will happily watch the platform sink to the bottom of the sea where it belongs.

I've said for years that the only reason Youtube exists is because of Google. If someone else had Google's resources and the right attitude, they could probably kill Youtube overnight.

Soldato
I watch YouTube via a Chromecast primarily, and I don't know whether it's because of my jurisdiction (or because of the Chromecast) I never get adverts. Watching on my phone however and it's adverts galore!

Soldato
I've noticed this too. I work in the industry and Youtube having a huge increase in video ads during a global pandemic where ad buying across the board is very much down does not add up to me. Seems to me google are propping up their profitability/margins through the pandemic by serving more video ads to their owned and operated in youtube (2 video ads back to back before video content on almost every video, really google?!) rather than bidding on inventory from publishers and incurring a cost.

Man of Honour
OP
No, not in a million years. For clarification:

Youtube has killed off a considerable chunk of earnings for content creators, which is why we have "this video is sponsored by" ads in so many vids as well as merch and patreon. These were all borne out of necessity rather than greed (although for many it's greed). Youtube will randomly demonetize videos for the most ridiculous reasons and appealing it will generally take a week or more which is when the heat for the vid has died down and people have lost interest or watched it, so the revenue is laughable. Their strike and appeal system is a joke and completely broken. I'm not convinced that this isn't by design.

To make matters worse, Youtube had a 10 minute rule. This meant that you could only get mid-roll ads in your videos if they were over 10 minutes. This meant that you get tons of creators who take a 30 second topic and drone on for 10 minutes so they get that extra revenue from the ads, whilst their vids are generally just waffle. No person demonstrates this better than Scotty Kilmer:

Look at the length of all these videos:

UHzFoTU.png

Due to this, people use adblockers, like myself. I still had ads on my mobile devices as I still wanted to support the creators a little bit, but Youtube then decided that the best course of action wasn't to address the problem, but simply make those who aren't adblocking suffer more by doubling the amount of ads pre-vid, and reducing that 10 minute rule to 8 minutes. I've no intention of watching two 30 second ads for a 15 second cat meme thanks.

To that end I've accepted that Youtube is dying and probably won't be around much longer, at least not to the levels it was a few years ago. I've got ad blockers installed on everything and use Youtube Vanced on my phone to get rid of them too, and will happily watch the platform sink to the bottom of the sea where it belongs.

I've said for years that the only reason Youtube exists is because of Google. If someone else had Google's resources and the right attitude, they could probably kill Youtube overnight.
Yeah the YouTuber “Gamers Nexus” does this “waffly content”, it’s really painful.

Soldato
I've got YouTube premium because it's £1.99 on top of YouTube music £9.99 which I use a lot, so it's worth it really.

Back
Top Bottom