• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

5950x Not POSTing

Associate
Hi All,

I just received my 5950x yesterday but when I put it in my MoBo (an ASUS Crosshair VIII Formula, currently working with a 3600xt and running the latest BIOS, as of last night) it fails to POST.

The onboard screen shows POST code 32 which means "CPU Post-Memory Initialization", so I tried all combinations of memory in different slots and quantities which didn't help.

I'm hoping it's something stupid that I've overlooked as I hope I don't have to RMA it but if it's DOA I guess that's my only choice.

TIA

Associate
I had similar issues, try remounting the heatsink and be sure not to over torque the mount as that can cause memory issues.
Try a much lower memory clock, like 2133 and/or dohcp.
Mine will only run 3600 memory with dohcp, manually 3400 was the best I could get, it seems to be a known issue with some Asus and MSI boards and zen3.

Associate
OP
Thanks for all the replies!

With regards to the BIOS update, that is the version I installed last night.
And I'm only tightening the thumb screws until it is no longer moveable, same pressure I'm applying on my working 3600xt.

Any other ideas?

Pet Northerner
Don
Thanks for all the replies!

With regards to the BIOS update, that is the version I installed last night.
And I'm only tightening the thumb screws until it is no longer moveable, same pressure I'm applying on my working 3600xt.

Any other ideas?

have to set bios back to default so it removes all settings and turns off XMP?

Associate
I know it's a pain but I really do suggest to do the remount, and be gentle with the thumb screws.
If it won't post at all then there is only a small list of things it can be if you are certain the bios is correct.

Associate
OP
Everything in BIOS is default, no XMP/DOCP settings, the only thing I have changed is the monitoring of the CPU fan as the CPU fans are plugged into AIO.

I'll give it another try with barely any pressure on the thumb screws.

Associate
OP
So, tightening it with barely a full turn and there's contact with the heat sink but it still wobbles, still nothing.

Could it be my RAM? It's not listed in the compatible RAM list for the 5950... I have 4x Corsair 16GB 3200 sticks (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16W). It's not old RAM so I guessed it wouldn't be a problem (I ordered the RAM a while ago to upgrade my old PC, and with the view to put it in this new build).

Caporegime
So, tightening it with barely a full turn and there's contact with the heat sink but it still wobbles, still nothing.

Could it be my RAM? It's not listed in the compatible RAM list for the 5950... I have 4x Corsair 16GB 3200 sticks (CMW32GX4M2C3200C16W). It's not old RAM so I guessed it wouldn't be a problem (I ordered the RAM a while ago to upgrade my old PC, and with the view to put it in this new build).
Does it post with only 1 or 2 sticks of ram? Deffo on the latest BIOS?

Associate
I have the crosshair viii hero and when I put in the 5950x I got qcode 64. “Unspecified memory”.

A bios update sorted that, but I assume that error was because the ram was compatible.

Until I had updated the bios I couldn’t get to a stage in which the GPU would give me a display.

Associate
OP
Does it post with only 1 or 2 sticks of ram? Deffo on the latest BIOS?

Nope, Either error code 27 or 36, according to the manual both mean "CPU Post-Memory Initialization". And unless ASUS are shipping an old BIOS out under the latest tag I am on the latest, BIOS Version 2702, BIOS Date 2020/11/19

@RedTS What RAM are you using? And I guess you're also on 2702?

Associate
Lord guys not posting because of something that silly? RAM problems at standard overclock?
Not to hurt fanboys, but as consumers something like 20 years ago I switched to Intel because my amd builds where just headaches and I see things aren’t better... waiting for a 5900x but first issue will send it back... these are like really “third tier” product issues...

For OP asus have LED on the board, check if yours has it as it may give you some insight on what’s the problem.

a defective CPU isn’t something I came across that easily, also clear the cmos and see if it posts.

Caporegime
Nope, Either error code 27 or 36, according to the manual both mean "CPU Post-Memory Initialization". And unless ASUS are shipping an old BIOS out under the latest tag I am on the latest, BIOS Version 2702, BIOS Date 2020/11/19

Sounds like it could be faulty, return to retailer. :)

Associate

Crucial Ballistix BL2K32G36C16U4B 3600 MHz, DDR4, DRAM, Desktop Gaming Memory Kit, 64GB (32GB x2), CL16, Black

BIOS version "ROG-CROSSHAIR-VIII-HERO-WIFI-ASUS-2502"

Back
Top Bottom