New SSD not recognised

Associate
Hi I have my PC up and running, already have an M.2 NVME drive (for windows) and a large HDD for storage/backups. I have installed a WD 3D NAND SSD for games yet it is not recognised anywhere including the BOIS.

I have searched Youtube but that just has videos about formatting in diskmanager. My drive does not show up anywhere.

Could someone help please, I have installed it in my lian li mess case using the HDD back plate, everything is connected and the blue light is on the front but the drive is not showing up anywhere? Quite lost, when I build the system installed windows then attached the HDD it was detected automatically.

Any help appreciated

update

Now have them plugged into the proper ports (had the SSD plugged into a deactivated port before and rebooted, still the same issue. Not showing up in bios or diskmanagent. Now I'm very confused.

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi I have my PC up and running, already have an M.2 NVME drive (for windows) and a large HDD for storage/backups. I have installed a WD 3D NAND SSD for games yet it is not recognised anywhere including the BOIS.

I have searched Youtube but that just has videos about formatting in diskmanager. My drive does not show up anywhere.

Could someone help please, I have installed it in my lian li mess case using the HDD back plate, everything is connected and the blue light is on the front but the drive is not showing up anywhere? Quite lost, when I build the system installed windows then attached the HDD it was detected automatically.

Any help appreciated

As you have M.2 installed your SATA port 5 & 6 won't work as the M.2 cancels them out so check your not plugged into them...

Then you may have to go into Disk Management and create a partition for the new device

Associate
OP
As you have M.2 installed your SATA port 5 & 6 won't work as the M.2 cancels them out so check your not plugged into them...

Then you may have to go into Disk Management and create a partition for the new device

I have the sata cables for SSD,s plugged in to the top two sata ports I will try to switch them.

Associate
OP
Possible, but no way to know without knowing the model of motherboard. It's also possible that different SATA ports could be disabled.

Mother board is a B450 Carbon pro wifi I am using the top 3 ports as I assumed they would go from top to bottom. My HDD is plugged into the middle row but I will test it now.

Associate
OP
Ports 5&6 do get disabled on the board and they are numbered from the bottom/left. All in the manual.

Hi yes just swapped them, over. Found it in the manual to confirm, Now have them plugged into the proper ports and rebooted, still the same issue. Not showing up in bios or diskmanagent. Now Im very confused.

Associate
OP
Well that was a pain, switched them, around still nothing, went it to BIOS and activate "hot plug" problem solved but I did initially have them plugged into the wrong ports, now I have a 2th SSD for games shame xbox game pass is not working LOL. Started another topic about that.

Everything working now, thanks to everyone for the replies

Back
Top Bottom