• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Asus Thor PSU 3rd pci-e

Associate
Hi guys,

Ive just noticed by using gpu-z that my 3rd power cable, 8pin is only supplying half the power to what the other 2 are, on desktop and in game. Ive had some problems where my card is not using close to 100% in games, is this a faulty lead? Can you buy replacements, psu is modular so do they sell leads that fit?

Thankyou guys

Soldato
Can I use a lead from a diff modular psu??

You need to give some details on the card.

GPU's don't distribute power equally across all the power connectors, could be that one is used for memory and the others for the actual core.

A power cable doesn't restrict GPU performance so changing it will make no difference.
Most likely a CPU bottleneck or you have frame limiter engaged. You will always have either a CPU or GPU bottleneck... just the way it is so don't sweat it

Associate
OP
I have a 3090 Msi trio x, but if the cpu is at 40% and gpu at 40% and im not getting the frames, whats to blame? Im curious on the 3rd lead there is only 7 pins entering the psu, isnt this a 8pin lead? or is that the card end?

Thanks for the reply

Soldato
Two of the pins are 'sense' pins which are usually connected to GND at the card end of the cable.
These can be used to detect 6pin (75W) vs 8pin (150W) connectors.

Take a look in task manager, some games can only used a few cores so you could have 4 of 10 cores fully loaded and the CPU would show 40%.
Check you don't have a frame limiter on, e.g. if you only have 60Hz monitor, it could be throttling via power management to just what is needed. AMD call this Chill, not sure about Nvidia.

Run some benchmarks, 3dmark is frequently on offer in steam, heaven etc. I think is free.
Games do some funky stuff with core / gpu loadings so better a pure benchmark for diagnosis.

The three 8pins are there for serious overclocking which should give you 525W, base card is ~350W
More likely to get GPU crashes with poor power, that is sitting at 40%.

Permabanned
Can I use a lead from a diff modular psu??

No. Often although they are the same format they are wired differently. You could possibly blow your card up.

I have a 3090 Msi trio x, but if the cpu is at 40% and gpu at 40% and im not getting the frames, whats to blame? Im curious on the 3rd lead there is only 7 pins entering the psu, isnt this a 8pin lead? or is that the card end?

Thanks for the reply

Some of the MSI's have the third socket for show. There is no way they can actually use any additional power because of the design of the power stage. I don't know about your card, but could be it's the same.

What are you comparing it to that makes you think you are "not getting the frames"? What is your monitor, how is that setup?

Associate
OP
Well the first thing which got me looking into this was major spikes in usage within windows on my card, jus by moving my mouse it was jumping and sometimes using 50% of my card in windows. Now I fixed this by using a guide I found online. Ive now found out that the poor usage is only in VR games and not desktop games, anyone here have a idea why this could be happening? My benchmarks seem to be fine, userbenchmark is 70 percentile on the card and timespy score of 20k on card.

Just to clarify on the pins, the one lead going into my psu only has 7 pins, on one pin connector there is no metal part and there is no actual lead either, only 7 going into the connector

Back
Top Bottom